0

yungacense x papilio

frank_hoehnel

I live in Germany an have been growing some Hippeastrum species and have been doing some Hippeastrum hybridizing on a small scale just for fun for about 8 years now.

H. papilio and H. yungacense are two of the most beautiful wild species for me.

On ebay I found an offer for hybrid seeds of these two species (yungacense = mother). Seemed to me to have a big potential for beautiful offspring. I could not resist. All 5 seeds germinated well. Now about 2 years and 2 month after sowing the first seedling has opended his two flowers. The color is a velvety dark red with darker stripes. I hoped for a bit more intensive papilio patterns. But I like the flower anyway. The size of the flowers is only medium, but I hope for improvement when the plant gets older.

What do you think about this result of a cross of two wild beauties?

• Fred Biasella

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the offer and I completely understand. I'm trying some similar crosses, so who knows, in a couple of years we can compare beauties :-)))

Fred

• catsandhippies

Hi Frank,

if you are still looking for a new home for one of your beauties you could make me very happy :-) I'm in Germany too, so sending should not be a problem. You can send me a message through Houzz if you still have both bulbs.

Of course I would take good care of it and post pictures of further blooms :-)

Anja

• agapanthe64

3 buds on new bulbs coming soon , not sure we'll be surprised but always curious to see :-)

• Fred Biasella

Beatrice,

I can't wait to see then, but I'm sure they'll be absolutely gorgeous :-))))

• frank_hoehnel

Beatrice,

seems as if I will win the race again this year ;-)

I have a flower scape growing on a first time bloomer of this cross too. About a week to flower from today.

So we will have something to compare again.

Frank

• Fred Biasella

Frank,

Cant wait to see your either :-)))))

• catsandhippies

Great! I'm looking forward to comparing beautiful flowers again :-)

Frank, your plant is going to rebloom in Berlin soon!

Anja

• agapanthe64

Hello Frank, what a joy to see your message, let's see what we will get this year ... I'm not the fastest it's for sure but I did not say my last word ;-)

Those ones are new bloomers for me too , if I didn't mixed the labels :-)

• frank_hoehnel

Anja,

nice to hear that the plant likes your growing conditions.

Enjoy the flowers!

Frank

• JL (Zone 6B MA)

Just read through this thread - last year’s flowers looked amazing ! Can’t wait for this year’s -they can only get better!

• frank_hoehnel

Soon ...

• Fred Biasella

OMG!!! I can't wait to see it!!!!!

• catsandhippies

Exciting... :-)

• lokai99

Those buds look like the bills of some exotic jungle bird

• agapanthe64

waiting...

• frank_hoehnel

Finally I can present the flowers of the third seedling of yungacense x papilio:

The variation among the seedlings is limited, not surprising for a primary species hybrid. The flower of the third seedling looks a little less triangular than seedling 1. The bright midstripes on the upper petals are shorter, the stripes on the lower petals longer than in seedling 1. The flower size is equal. Overall flower color is a little darker in seedling 1.

I have a good chance to compare the flowers because the first of two scapes on seedling 1 is blooming right now too.

As usual I had to turn the plants while the scapes where growing because they always heavily bend in the direction of the light source. Yesterday when I returned from work I found the scape of seedling 3 dangerously bent over. I had to tie it to a stick. The reason for this weak scape is our very bad light situation. We had again a very dark winter here in Germany, probably less than an hour of sun per day in average.

• Fred Biasella

Oh Frank,

They are outstanding :-)))) Thank you for brightening my day with these beautiful blooms. I have the same problem with bending scapes at work and I'm constantly turning their pots so they'll straighten up.

• JL (Zone 6B MA)

so very beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

• catsandhippies

Frank, it is gorgeous too, congratulations! It looks a little more orange than the first seedling. I'm looking forward to seeing the comparing pictures! Seedling #2 will need some more weeks to flower I think. It is not so dark here at the moment but quite cold... And I also have to turn the pot twice a week.

• agapanthe64

I am turning pots too , a real job , everyday for not breaking anything :-) this winter is so sad with no sun, no light. Never had this before.

Frank I love your pictures , as beautifull as the flower !

My new sedling will open soon , and I am looking forward for anja's too .

• agapanthe64

This one might be different than the others , the bud isn't a Parrot !

• haweha

The bud, the outside of the floret about to open that is, looks like "Exotic Star", it appears spotted, which is particularly conspicous in the bud on the left side. I also GUESS that the floral segments will be broader than in either sibling shown above. You might be a winner on this Occasion - I knock on wood!

• agapanthe64

ah ah ! you are more insightful than me !

thank you Hans , and if the result is disappointing, there are still two little brothers who come to enlighten a little this terrible winter :-))

• agapanthe64

Hans , sympatic but not a winner , next time :-)

• catsandhippies

I actually like it a lot, Béatrice! More papilio this time!

• dondeldux

This one might be my favorite of this batch!! Four flowers next time and it will deserve a name!!!!

Like Anja says, more papilio, nice color and nice throat with striping down into

those bottom leaves!!!!

• frank_hoehnel

I agree, this may be the best of the siblings up to now.

• agapanthe64

Thank you !

some flowers are more photogenic than other ones, and this one is really photogenic !! best in picture than in reallity ;-)

• JL (Zone 6B MA)

I don't have enough hippies yet to think any of these are sub par - they all look beautiful!

• lokai99

In picture, she is striking. I immediately said "Wow!"

• catsandhippies

This is one of Franks seedlings - I guess #2 - that moved to my house last year. Flowers opened at very low temperatures (10-13°C). Unfortunately this picture doesn't show how much the flower is glistening in sunlight. I love it very much, thank you again, Frank!

Anja

• dondeldux

It is beautiful Anja, so glad it found its forever home with you!!!!

• lokai99

Gorgeous! The color and shape are really pleasing!

• Fred Biasella

Anja,

That is so beautiful and I totally agree with Donna :-))) Very lucky you and I can only imagine what she looks like in person...enjoy her beauty :-))))))

• agapanthe64

!!!! A beauty !!!! thank you for taking care of him

• frank_hoehnel

Anja, I am glad to see it blooming for you! Seems as if the colors are a bit darker under cool conditions.

• catsandhippies

Thank you! Yes, the red is really dark in some parts but it is hard to tell from your pictures whether it was less dark in summer or not. The stigma seems to be more red on your picture?

Béatrice and Frank, did you try to pollinate the flowers? I put H. aulicum pollen on one and I'm thinking of a cybister for the second flower. I have pollen of Merengue, Rosario and Machala. What do you think?

• agapanthe64

Anja , I didn'tpollinate , I don't have anything that seems interesting to put on , I'd like more flower per stem with keeping the shape of the fower...not easy and I will have so many babies to grow...

• agapanthe64

And this is my Number 3 , the last for this season as the third bud withers.

but it seems that with all this pictures , we have now a correct idea of what this cross would produce

• dondeldux

I do love this one!!!

• catsandhippies

Beautiful!!!

Yes, Béatrice, I understand why you did not pollinate it. I just had to give aulicum a try although it would not improve the flower count. And I thought a cybister would make the blooms even more curvy and I could hope for more than two flowers... I'm just still not sure which would best...

• Fred Biasella

Another gorgeous stunner...thank you for sharing :-))) This will help to brighten or day since we are preparing for another winter storm :-(((((

• agapanthe64

this winter does not end!

how are you the 3 of Massachusset?

I think I have too many seeds for this year, and this band of yungacense X papilio will spend another year in his pot ... we'll see next year, I should have fewer new flowers to manage !

you know Fred, I think yungacense X papilio is not going to bloom this year , I don't know why...but conditions were very bad this winter with frost and humidity , not good for hippies

• catsandhippies

I thought I post the photo in this thread since it is the same bulb I got from Frank two years ago. I never expected to get three flowers from that cross but here they are:

There is also a second scape...

I'm so happy with that bulb. It looks much better in person, it is really impressive.

• dondeldux

Three flowers!! Anja you do seem to have the magic touch, it's beautiful!!

• Fred Biasella

Anja,

She is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! I love the sultry dark red and bright green throat combination :-))) You must be very happy!!! I know I would be :-))))

• Fred Biasella

Hi Beatrice,

It finally looks like Spring will arrive but we have to contend with some cool weather for a few more weeks. Little by little the snow piles are starting to melt and we can see the soil in our gardens :-))) I hope you beautiful yungacense x papilio are ok and recover soon because they are a sight to behold and it gives me much hope for the seeds you graciously provided :-)))

• frank_hoehnel

Herzlichen Glückwunsch, Anja!

Nice to see that the plant feels comfortable with you.

If you got 3 flowers per scape it should be possible to get 4 too.

Mine keeps producing 2 flowers per scape.

Frank

• agapanthe64

Bravo Anja !! mine is blooming now too , with 3 scapes, but only 2 flowers on each one .