beaglesdoitbetter

What would you do? Etsy problem.

I ordered a cabinet from Etsy. Cabinet itself was around $350. Cabinet came from England so shipping was $485.

Prior to my order, the seller said that if I wasn't happy, I'd get a "full refund." [That was the exact phasing.]

Well, after months of delaying and delaying and delaying and promises it would ship, the item finally arrived. It does not meet my expectations. The paint has paint drips. The hinge is crooked. The back has gaps. Just, generally, not the quality I expected based on description and pictures.

And, to top it off, it obviously was damaged in shipping because there is a crack in the front.

I asked for a full refund. Sent the details on the problems, including pictures of the crack. The seller is offering to refund me only for the cabinet, not for the shipping. He claims that when he said "full refund," if I wasn't happy, it was only for the cabinet...

I asked why he wouldn't just make a claim w/ the shipping company b/c the item was damaged in shipping. He claims he can't. There were two different reasons why. First he said it was because I signed for it and didn't note it was damaged (I didn't actually sign. My neighbor did. But you couldn't tell it was damaged based on the box anyway, since the box is fine). Then he said he wasn't able to insure it b/c I insisted he send it assembled (there was never really a discussion about that, though- although of course I wouldn't have bought an un-assembled cabinet).

Etsy is helping with a dispute, and Amex has also said they will dispute the charge for me if need be. Would you insist upon the FULL refund? Or would you accept the partial refund? I don't want to be difficult and the seller is claiming he's going to lose lots of money and it is a person, not a company, which causes me to feel badly about that... but I feel I should get my money back in full and should insist upon it, either though Etsy or let Amex do the dispute since I don't see it as my fault.

Would your answer change if it was possible to repair the front crack and still use the cabinet, even if it wasn't perfect / did not meet quality expectations? [Not sure if this is an option or not, I don't think it is really repairable]

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod

Wow. That was a lot of money to spend and a big risk to take. I've bought a lot of stuff on Etsy, but more along the lines of art and jewelry. I think I would, in your situation, let Etsy/Amex resolve this for you. Best wishes...

• Fun2BHere

I would want a full refund including shipping. While I can be supportive of individual craftspeople and give them the benefit of the doubt, this one failed you at several points. It's important that if people have a business that they fulfill their customers' reasonable expectations.

Please help me layout my ensuite for his/her vanities. Do you like what we have? Why would you change?

7" drawer is too tall to sit at comfortably as will crowd your knees also, 33" ht is too tall for a normal chair and too low for a standard 24" ht bar stool. you may wish to consider making Her vanity same ht as the makeup counter so more flow across. you likely only need about a 18" wide sink instead of the 21" you are considering. two sinks that are large will overpower your top. If you are right up against a wall either end, consider whether you are left or right handed. His sink to the far left is quite alright if you are right handed. Her sink on the far right would be ok if you're right handed, if you are not jammed against the wall. Careful too regarding mirrors & lighting. Where will they be located. overhead.. 3 fixtures? 3 mirrors, one large one? have yoru designer drawer up elevation each way then decide on the ramifications as mentioned above. You could also consider the drawers/sink/sink/drawers/makeup layout moving from left to right. Or I often use a vanity that is a wide sink panel on top with drawers oriented to left or right (offset) to allow wider spacing) see image... in this case a makeup could have easily been incorporated between

Help ~ What do I do here /what would you do?

you need some space dividing pieces like sofa tables or book cases and think about floating the furniture, put a sofa table behind the couch and it will help define the eating/game table and be a good place for art supplies and games to live. End tables will help too. When accessory pieces like this are missing, things go on the floor and a mind set sets in that it is a catch all room and may never have a chance to grow into something useful. search for images of basement rooms and look "into" the rooms not "at" them for ideas. Notice pieces, storage, traffic flow and colors.

Time for a re-do....what would you do

You will want to look into the cost of refacing first and the expectations of what the doors and refacing will look like. Painted doors are usually MDF or MDF parts combined with wood parts. I have some white cabinetry and it is more work to keep up, but that will not bother you if it is the look you really want. I am a practical midwestern gal, and I did not want to trade my solid wood doors for less sturdy doors. One of my good friends has a white shaker kitchen - it is very pretty with solid feeling custom painted cabinets - which after 4 years have chips that need to be repaired - not the end of the world - a little extra upkeep, but another reason I kept my wood kitchen. Many people paint or reface and are very happy with their white kitchens. Decide about whether you are going to reface or not first. Your choice of countertop can be affected by your choice of cabinet color, though I have seen my countertop on both wood and white cabinets. You will probably need a new backsplash. Backsplash can get damaged when countertops are changed out and also the new countertop will probably not be the same thickness as the old and there could be a gap. Backsplash comes last, so make other decisions first. You do not need to even worry about the backsplash till the countertops are in - seeing the big picture can affect your decision as to backsplash. I have to add that I love my sink. It is the Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style farmhouse sink and can be installed on a standard sin base cabinet. I saved up extra months to afford it:) It helps blend the old with the new, and I love the style - I am a little short, and I love having the sink so close to me.

If you had 50k to fix your home, what would you do?

Enclose and extend single vehicle carport 8 feet towards street, while raising the floor to match interior of house. This would create about 330 SF for a multipurpose room (meeting code requirements for a BR) and laundry/half bath. Front porch, with new roof line, would be extended to be 8 feet deep and line up with the carport extension to provide a side entrance to the new multipurpose room.
  • arcy_gw

Never the shipping--it is just the cost of ordering on line.

• maire_cate

I can see both sides on this - which of course isn't helpful to you at all. The problem lies in the vagaries of the transaction - the seller may have simply meant a full refund of the purchase price and you may have assumed that 'full' meant complete refund of all monies.

And it's not unusual when you order something from a regular merchant like Eddie Bauer that you pay for shipping and if you return it you pay to ship it back.

However I think it is the seller's responsibility to spell out the full details of the transaction. It was the seller who choose not to insure it and the seller could have included the price of the insurance in the shipping charges.

This might be time for a compromise - would you be willing to split the shipping charges?

• Carolina Girl (Zone 8b)

For an item that expensive, the seller should have insured. No excuse for not insuring.

you will most likely get your money back from Etsy, but if Etsy doesn't come through, Amex will (be sure to do the chargeback yourself). I don't think you'll get the shipping returned through Etsy, but Amex may be a different story.

a lot of sellers on Etsy don't realize they need to purchase insurance for their benefit as well as the buyer and this may be a learning experience for this seller.

good luck!

• eld6161

Although I would love to see you get back the shipping, this is just one of the hazards of ordering online.

Let's say the artist did give you a refund including shipping. Would that than mean he would have to pay the addition $485 for you to return it? I can't imagine anyone being able to stay in business this way for their products.

It seems that what you are telling us is verbal not written, correct?

Beagles, I would take the refund. You reported the issue to Esty. This store will be ref flagged and maybe it will work on quality control.

• beaglesdoitbetter

If it wasn't damaged I wouldn't expect the shipping back. Did you agree that it would be uninsured?

I was told nothing about shipping except the price. Insurance was never mentioned. I would not have agreed to take the risk of overseas shipping had I been told there would be no insurance.

I'm sort of thinking, why should I be out-of-pocket w/ shipping for a damaged item when I wasn't the one who chose whether to insure it or not? But I do want to be fair! I can say that if I sold something and did not insure it, that would be on me and I wouldn't stick the buyer w/ the costs unless they had specifically declined insurance to lower shipping costs.

Normally, I would agree with this.... except for the fact that is damaged. To give the example above, if I ordered from a merchant like Eddie Bauer and I had to return, I would expect to pay return shipping if the item was just something I didn't like or I changed my mind or the fit was wrong.

But, if they sent me a sweater w/ holes in it that was poorly made AND damaged in shipping, I would raise holy h*ck until I got my money back. The only reason I'm more hesitant to do that here is b/c this is just a guy, not a corporation like Eddie Bower.

The written promise of a "full refund" is in writing, not verbal. It was an unprompted offer after I described to the seller what I wanted. He wrote back and said he was "sure" he could help me and would offer me a "full refund" if I wasn't satisfied. It was like the first or second email exchanged.

In hindsight, I should have specified with him more clearly what "full" meant. I interpreted full as it's plain meaning as in fully and completely. Rather than something like "refund of the item" or "refund minus shipping cost" or "refund of the purchase price."

Amex has said they would dispute the whole amount. Etsy, I'm still in the review phase so I don't know what they will do.

• eld6161

....except for the fact that is damaged. But, is that the artist's fault? Unless he intentionally shipped it with the crack, or didn't package it right so it ensued damage.

He did offer you the full refund of the cabinet. He's not expecting that you ship it back?

• beaglesdoitbetter

Well, it is his fault he didn't insure it (or offer me the option to). [I'm not trying to just justify wanting a refund... I'm honestly not sure what is the right thing here]

He's not expecting return shipping. I don't think anyone wants to pay $485 to ship a damaged cabinet back to England!

• 4boys2

different shipping options have different policies

you're shipper should have been aware of them

some cover shipping cost in insurance-some don't

seeing as the shipping cost out valued the item-he should have shipped accordingly

what courier did he ship with ?

• Bunny

"Full refund" clearly meant something different to both of you. If I was going to pay more for shipping than the actual item, I hope I would get a clarification, in writing, that full refund included shipping cost as well. I guess I'd assume the item was insured. Why would it not be?

I'd feel a bit bad for the Etsy dealer, but I'd feel bad for myself as well. It would be a tough learning experience (i.e., the meaning of "full refund"), but I don't think I'd settle for less than splitting the cost of shipping. That would be the extent of my empathy.

• deegw

I think you both share a bit of the blame. You for not get insurance confirmation and not finding out more about the particulars of the refund. With small companies, it is not unusual for shipping to not be refunded and often you are on the hook for shipping things back. He is at fault for not getting insurance.

Is this the first cabinet that he has shipped overseas? If it is, and he is not being a jerk about everything, I might offer to split the difference of the shipping refund. If he has previously shipped things overseas and is experienced with the process, I would put more of the blame on him.

• tinam61

I have never purchased anything on Etsy where the postage/shipping was not listed. There is usually a tab you click that shows these charges. You can put in your zip and get exact shipping charges. I agree that full refund meant something different to each of you. I would never 1) purchase something without the shipping charges/refund policy in writing or 2) pay more for shipping than I paid for the item. But maybe that's just me. I'm not sure what options you have. Probably accept the refund for the item and go from there. You say the box is not damaged, so how do you know the item was damaged during shipping and not before? Perhaps you could fix it to where you could sell it and recoup some of the shipping charges. Did this seller have a high rating?

• 4boys2

He could have insured for $800 ...called it free shipping... $7 insurance..All is well...

I know could have should have .

If this shipper is going to ship int'l, something that can not survive a drop-kick,he must insure.

• kittymoonbeam

I'd get the refund and then see how much a repair would cost. If you like it maybe there's a way to be happy.

• beaglesdoitbetter

I should have definitely clarified "full refund." I have not had a problem w/ etsy before and wasn't expecting to. The seller had great reviews. Interestingly, the last 3 reviews have been negative though- communication delays, refund problems, etc. (All posted after my purchase was complete, of course)

Etsy refunded me my item cost, but not shipping. I think I will email the seller and ask to split the shipping and if he is a jerk about it, then I will continue to go through Amex and see if I can get the rest of the money back.

• gail618

I also think it seems strange that the cabinet was cracked but there was no damage to the box. Was it packaged well?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

He needs to check with the company that did the shopping because they often have some coverage for damages they caused. He may be assuming it is not covered. Insurance on that kind of shipping cost should always be spelled out in writing. Both sides should have made that a clear decision and agreed on. Normally shipping is not included in a full refund of the product. In the case of damage during transit the shipping company bares the cost. If they are absolutely out of the equation, I don't think they should be, then the fair thing would be to split the amount of shipping. Or go with what ever etsy and Amex recommend.

I never assumed that in a full refund situation my shipping cost would be refunded.

Definitely a learning experience for the shop owner. I hope at least he understands the importance of insurance and written contracts now.

• Yayagal

I would take the loss and go on.

• MtnRdRedux

True, returns typically do not refund shipping (except Zappos, love those guys, and few others that have caught on that they will get a lot more business if they bury shipping costs in their margin rather than make them a profit center).

However, those are returns that are "just because". When an item is defective and damaged, in my experience, the seller does refund and cover shipping if needed to solve the issue.

I have bought quite a lot from overseas, but I am always loathe to buy things where the shipping is a large portion of the item's cost. One, it is de facto bad value because it essentially inflates the market price, and two, it becomes a real issue if you need to return and/or repair. I suppose if he is in the UK and a little guy, he surely has no presence here so the UK version of the UCC, whatever that is, might apply.

In any event, sorry this happened. It's a bummer all around.

• DLM2000-GW

"....it is a person, not a company..."

It's one and the same - this is a person who is operating a business. May be a tough lesson for a small business person, but that's the real world. You are entitled t the full refund.

• l pinkmountain

I had the same thing happen to me with some shoes. They said, in writing, 'returnable' for full refund. I was willing to pay for shipping. I had no idea I had to ship them to Italy for much more than the cost of the shoes. I disputed it and didn't pay for the shoes because I said that should be made clear, that returns had to go to Italy. Same case with you, seller should have been clear. If I knew the shipping on that, I would not have taken the risk. The only bright spot would be if it could be claimed for insurance, but if the shipper didn't do that, then well, that's his loss. Almost everything I have ever gotten shipped from overseas or shipped to overseas (and I do it a lot) gets damaged one way or the other. I had some cookies come back six months after I shipped them, they never arrived at their destination, and yet somehow made it back to me! So I think the lesson learned is something that expensive shipped from overseas is probably too risky.

• lukkiirish

Remember a couple of months back I had a similar issue with the shipping on a return to England? Of course my shipping cost was only 80.00 compared to your hundreds, but still. If I had just wanted to return it because I didn't like it, that would have been a different story, but the item was "defective" so why should I have to pay to return it? So, if the craftmanship on your cabinet is that poor, that's how I'd pursue it and insist on a refund of the postage as well.

BTW, posting here and naming the store ended up helping me to get my issue rectified. Another Etsy Seller who posts here a lot saw my post and notified the seller about it. The seller reached out to me and not only did she promptly refund me the cash through Paypal, but she also found a resolution so it wouldn't happen again to any of US her customers. She does a ton of repeat of business in the US so it was good all the way around.

BTW, in my case, Etsy was of literally no help so it's good that the Credit Card company will help as well.

• beaglesdoitbetter

The item was packaged pretty well. I have no way of knowing, I guess, if the cabinet was damaged before he packaged it. He had lots of good reviews, but now all negative recently so who knows what's going on.

Mtn, I agree with you about normally not buying when the shipping is more than the item. I tried very hard to get this cabinet made locally. I called 16 different custom cabinet companies in-and-around Tampa (not exaggerating) including the people who did my other cabinets in my house. No one wanted to do it, most didn't even call me back and the ones who did declined. I really don't know why no one local wanted to do it. Maybe too small of a job or too specific of a request. I don't know.

That's why I went w/ the guy from England. Overall, the total price I thought was very reasonable, if it had been as described / expected. In fact, I thought it was cheap for what I was asking for... I guess lesson learned to me that you get what you pay for.

pinkmountain, I've had other good experiences w/ items being shipped from England / Italy. I shipped over quite a bit when we were building our PA house. I guess I should count myself lucky this was my first and experience!

lukkiirish I doubt this guy would care if I posted his info, but maybe I'll try that as a last resort. Etsy was not really helpful but I repeatedly called and emailed and they finally did re-open my case and then the seller issued my partial refund.

American Express has been great.

• lascatx

Shipping is not generally included in a refund, but when the item is defective the buyer should not have to pay for shipping. With the shipping box not damaged, it would be hard to get the shipping company to be responsible for the damage. But the item was defective even absent the crack on the front. I would argue that the seller should never have shipped a cabinet with drips, gaps and crooked hardware. That seems like a basis for at least splitting the difference.

Beagles, did you try checking custommade.com? You can request bids on custom furniture as well as art, jewelry and more. I was looking there when I found a local maker for my table. You can limit your search geoographically if you want. Perhaps you can find someone to make it right for you there.

• MagdalenaLee

I think he owes you the shipping. It's not your fault he didn't insure. However, for no logical reason at all, I would offer to pay for half the shipping. Just because.

• cattyles

He really should have insured to protect himself against exactly what happened.

• beaglesdoitbetter

Well, I sent him a message offering to split the shipping and he has ignored my email for two days. SO. I'm disputing the whole amount of the shipping w/ Amex. The only reason I was hesitant was because I felt bad for the guy, but since he's ignoring me, which is kind of jerky, my empathy just went poof!

Thanks lascatx, I will check that website. I was shocked that the cabinet makers I hired to do two other rooms in my house (inc. my custom media center/doggy-crates) refused to do this... even when they could have done it on the same day they installed other cabinets. I really cannot imagine what is so complicated about a simple corner cabinet painted green!

• Bunny

Beagles, are you willing to post a photo of the cabinet? Not so much for its flaws, but just to give us an idea of what it's like. It's hard for me to imagine why 16 local cabinet makers would say no to making one for you.

• beaglesdoitbetter

Here it is, temporarily in the room b/c I was testing it out to see if I felt I even liked it enough to consider repairs.

It is very simple, I really didn't understand why no one wanted to do it (I was going to separately hire an artist to paint the flower on the front so that wasn't the issue). I had wanted it built in, so maybe they didn't want to deal with removing the crown molding and getting an exact fit to the walls. I don't know.

Many of the people didn't get back to me at all, and those that did said they didn't want to do it. One cabinet maker did say he would do it for $3800 but I thought that was, frankly, insane for a cabinet this small and simple.

Here's a closeup of the problems. You can see see it is both cracked and poorly painted.

Hinge

What I wanted was a built-in green cabinet to coordinate with this clock:

• Bunny

Thanks Beagles. Wow, the crack is unfortunate, but the poor painting and that hinge are inexcusable. How could they think this would pass muster?

• lascatx

That appears to be a paint crack -- not a cabinet crack. That is the nature of painted pieces, and I doubt there is anything the seller could have done to avoid that. When you buy painted kitchen cabinets, the makers will generally have you sign a release for just such cracks -- and they typically form at the joints between two pieces of wood -- just like they did here, because of the shrinking and expanding of the wood. You could ask the seller to send you some paint for touch up, caulk and then touch up the paint.

The hinge itself is straight, but the back mounting plate is not. I have not seen that, but I suspect it is the style of the hardware since the hinge -- the working part of it, is straight. That is what matters functionally. If you don't like the look, you could change the hinge for a few dollars -- and you would have some touch up paint for any hole that might show if you request it to fix the crack. The cabinet is nice and the price, even with shipping was very reasonable for a custom piece. I would think that a bit of touch up paint and perhaps a replacement hinge and/or a small adjustment might be in order, but I think having that piece and getting a full refund -- plus expecting the shipping back is unfair. I've changed my mind after seeing it. I could fix it myself -- not a big deal.

• gail618

After seeing it, I would definitely insist he refund you for shipping. Don't even see how he could argue with you about it! It almost looks like the crack was there before the cabinet was painted. It looks like there's paint inside of the crack?

• jellytoast

Frankly, I'm shocked that the seller thought this was worth a $485 shipping cost. The cabinet itself looks nice, but the paint job looks amateur and the attention to detail is lacking. If I shipped something like that out, I would EXPECT a complaint concerning quality.

It is my understanding that once a dispute has been opened with a CC company, the disputed company is only supposed to deal with the CC company from that point on. That could be why the seller did not respond to your email.

• IdaClaire

What a disappointment! I'm so sorry this happened. After seeing the cabinet, I think that the paint job is atrocious, and I also think the crack and the paint job are things that can be fixed, and fairly easily. I would strip the piece, repair the cracks, and repaint it nicely. Then I would put it back in place and forget that this whole thing ever happened. I would, however, send the seller photos of the damage and ask them to refund half of the shipping cost.

I was astounded at the cost to ship a few knitted scarves to the UK, so can easily understand why shipping for a piece of this size would have been so much. Still - you deserved to get a pristine piece, and you did not.

• Delilah66

I disagree with lascatx. Whether or not you could fix it yourself, you shouldn't pay for a custom-made piece that needed additional work. That crack does not look like it's at a joint; it's too irregular. The hinge backplate doesn't even look like it has a screw at the bottom. If the maker were local, he could repair/fix, but he's not. If he wanted the piece returned, he could pay to have it shipped back. IME a full refund for defects always includes shipping unless otherwise stated. Now you're left with a defective cabinet and will have to figure out whether to toss it or pay more money to address its flaws (if possible). The fix will probably cost you more than the cabinet did.

• lukkiirish

The hinge is missing a screw right and the hole is crooked as well? The paint job was poorly too and IMO, those are Defects. With the way that crack looks, it makes me think he used a piece of wood that had a weak spot or the start of the crack in it already and it just got worse while being shipped.

He definitely should refund the shipping, no two ways about it. And it's great that American Express is backing you up!

As for the cabinet, those 3 things are all fixable, even the crack. I would putty and sand the crack and holes for the original hinge, lightly sand and repaint the cabinet and hang a new hinge. If you really like the painted embellishment there are people who paint furniture at consignments stores who could easily put something nice on there for you, actually they could probably paint and fix the whole thing for you for a pretty reasonable price.

• beaglesdoitbetter

It is not a paint crack. It is a cabinet crack. You can physically push the cabinet out further from the inside and the whole wood piece moves and the crack becomes less visible.

The hinge is not straight and this isn't a design thing. The top hinge is straight/normal. The bottom hinge is crooked and the bottom screw in the bottom hinge is missing and if you don't push the door upward, the door hangs slightly crooked as a result.

If it is to be kept and repaired, I'll have to hire someone to do that. Sadly, we have absolutely no DIY skills nor DIY inclination. If I can even find someone to hire to do that, I could have probably done this a lot more cheaply by buying one of the old wood corner cabinets no one wants and having it painted. I'm not a big fan of the whole "refurbishing" furniture idea. I like antiques, but solid wood and properly restored antiques. The shabby chic paint thing is adorable, but doesn't really go for me, and I'm not sure if that's what I'll end up with if I try to re-do.

I'm extra annoyed by this whole thing b/c I've been trying to get a cabinet for so long. First I went through a multi-month process of contacting cabinet makers. Then, I ordered this in December and was waiting and waiting for it. Now I'm leaving FL in 3 weeks so this is unlikely to be resolved and end w/ me having a cabinet I love in the next 3 weeks. This is the last thing I need for this house to be "done."

I know, first world problems!

• tinam61

For anyone buying something like this online in the future, I would ask for up close pictures. Hope you get it worked out!

• lukkiirish

Beagles, don't count the consignment stores completely out. Shabby chic and repainted old furniture may be popular in their stores, but it's just a technique and in no way means they could not or would not fix and paint the cabinet in the way you want it to be done. Sanding off the paint that's there, making the fixes and repainting it is not a difficult thing for someone to do, if that's they type of stuff they enjoy doing, especially if they use a sprayer. (Ask me how I know ;c)

Also, were you inquiring with cabinet makers or finish carpenters? We have guys in my area that are finish carpenters and do that kind of work on the side.

• MtnRdRedux

At this point you are only out the $135 shipping. I think looking at this piece will always make you unhappy. If it were me, for 135, Id donate it to Goodwill. Then go to an unfinished furniture place and pick out the same thing, Have them color match the green/pear color in your clock. If you still want a flower, have one painted.

• jellytoast

"Cabinet came from England so shipping was $485."

• lascatx

The crack appears to be at the joint of two different pieces of wood. Perhaps it has come loose and isn't just the paint. I also questioned the screw in the hings, but the working part of the hinge is straight -- I really don't understand what is going on there. These things are impossible to access with words alone and difficult with only a couple of photos. You really need to see it and be able to check it out. Wait -- is the hinge broken and separated from the backplate?

I am a fixer. I realize many people here hire out everything, so at least see if you can get it repaired. No, you shouldn't have to, but even when you order new furniture (custom or not) that is made and delivered within the US, some kind of adjustment or touch up may be needed after shipping. Ordering overseas increases the chances of having issues -- just from shipping. I just can't see tossing the cabinet out and demanding a full refund for the cabinet and shipping without trying anything.

If you decide to start over with a resale cabinet that you have redone, refinishing does not mean it has to be shabby-chic paint. You can't always do a stained finish due to the condition of the wood, but if the wood is good, you should be able to stain or paint -- and paint in any style. You just need to get the right person.

And one detail to come back too? Seriously, I've never lived in a house that was a "DONE." Anytime I get close, there is more to do. I'd be grateful there was one detail and not three new problems. Hang in there.... Whatever you decide, you will get it worked out. It's a process, not a race.

• beaglesdoitbetter

Thanks. I will look into consignment store options and also see if we have any places that sell unfinished wood cabinets that might have something available.

were you inquiring with cabinet makers or finish carpenters?

Cabinet makers. Finish carpenters could be a good idea though!

The crack appears to be at the joint of two different pieces of wood.

The crack is not at a joint. It is in the middle of a solid piece of wood.

I also questioned the screw in the hings, but the working part of the hinge is straight -- I really don't understand what is going on there.

I don't know what happened to the hinge either. The back plate is crooked and screw is missing but the hinge part itself is mostly straight. It's strange.

I'd be grateful there was one detail and not three new problems.

I definitely am happy about that. We have less stuff to do with the FL house (which is 10 years old) than we do with the PA house we just built 5 years ago!

• Delilah66

I just can't see tossing the cabinet out and demanding a full refund for the cabinet and shipping without trying anything.

Not everyone is able or willing to spend time or $$$ to fix a custom piece and that's their prerogative.

• maddielee

Tampa shopping and selling:

The Missing Piece in South Tampa is a high quality furniture consignment shop, with a good website! The website stays updated with good photos of what they have available.

One of my favorite places to shop is in Seminole Heights, Vintage Post Marketplace. Very good mix of old and new.

Another popular consignment store is in Lutz on Highway 54 and Collier Parkway, the Room Exchange.

If you want to have a piece made, a shop that will make custom pieces (not just oak) is the Oak Emporium on Dale Mabry (Carrolwood area).

I think the closet bare wood furniture store is in Clearwater.

• beaglesdoitbetter

Thanks maddie! I'll check all of those!

MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars14 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler

Need help discovering your style?

Take Style Quiz