Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_38689

Help with patio ideas

9 years ago
Need some ideas on redoing a patio. We are currently having a pro put in a new block wall and block steps where you see the wood in this picture. He is also building a paver patio above the wall with a fire pit where the grass is.

The bottom section, where the current brick pavers are, I am tackling myself. The existing patio is partly laid on a gravel and sand base, but further back (where Im standing and to my left) the pavers are put over a concrete slab and walkway that are in good shape. To save money, I am planing to put something over the concrete, brick, pavers, flagstone etc... vs tearing out the concrete. It will have to be 1 inch pavers or thin due to the back door threshold. What Im struggling with is what to do with the section that doesn't have concrete under it. It is already dug out about 6-8 inches with a gravel base. Originally I had thought I would fill in that area with top soil and pus some sort of sod down with some stepping stones, then cover the concrete section with pavers or brick. Now Im wondering if it wouldn't be worth trying to fill in the whole area with brick or pavers? It would not be the same pavers as the new upper patio so there would most likely be a transition in color/style as you step down to this section. The part of the house were I am standing with my back to is brick. Would love to get some thoughts on what would look best. I can post some more pics of the new patio. Wall is going up now but it is kind of a mess down there now.
Shop Remodel · More Info

Comment