Software
Houzz Logo Print
jayneodo

Room "Definition"

9 years ago

We have an open concept living room, kitchen and eating area, which feels to us like it needs some kind of architectural element to define the areas a little bit. We don't want to close it off but perhaps put in some kind of room definition in the ceiling and/or small wall space on the sides. We are thinking of adding a beam along the long ceiling area or maybe a slightly arched ceiling with small side walls between the kitchen and living area. Just wondering if anybody has any other great ideas for "separating" this area. Thanks in advance.

View from living room to kitchen.

View from eating area.

View from kitchen.

Comments (20)

  • 9 years ago

    People pay lots of money to convert their multi room homes into open floorplans. This floorplan is very current. You've already made the separation with furniture and lighting as well as the ceiling height change.

    It looks good to me.

    jayneodo thanked auntthelma
  • 9 years ago
    I agree that you ceiling helps define the spaces. The idea of a larger rug is a good one to help too. If you have electrical outlets in the floor, I would add a more substantial sofa table than you have now with a couple lamps on it. That would also visually separate the kitchen from great room.
    Honestly, the idea of open space is contradictory to what you are feeling. Your view of the fireplace wall is really nice. I would try to close in the room with half walls or beams.
    jayneodo thanked sunnydrew
  • 9 years ago
    I meant to say I would NOT try to close in the room with walls or beams.
    jayneodo thanked sunnydrew
  • 9 years ago
    It just goes to show that people always want to change! Your house is basically "houzz perfect"!! I would not add anything structural at all! Your decor is perfectly cohesive and everyone knows the difference between the kitchen and the living room so I think you are good!
    jayneodo thanked Pool Habit
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    A larger area rug would help define the spaces better- larger as in the perimeter lies a foot or two outside of the footprint of where the couches are. It will help ground the ceiling height change.

    I wouldn't change anything "architecturally".

    jayneodo thanked New England Design & Construction
  • 9 years ago
    I'm not a big fan of open concept homes but I love yours. Please don't make any structural changes.
    jayneodo thanked Gerry
  • 9 years ago

    I agree with others about the rug. Since there's a difference in ceiling height between the two areas, you could paint one a subtle difference in color to differentiate the two areas.

    jayneodo thanked karielen
  • 9 years ago

    The piece of furniture between the windows might do better as your sofa table. The trunk-like piece isn't working. I agree with the suggestion to remove the wood office chair and get a pair of armchairs. Continue your beach theme with more driftwood style pieces of casegoods. The rooms are well defined, just the decor that needs a tweak or two. Have you considered a wool sisal-look rug to continue the beach theme?


    Uttermost Driftwood Glass-Top Cocktail Table · More Info

    Rustic Reclaimed Oval Coffee Table, Driftwood · More Info

    jayneodo thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago

    Thanks everyone for your input. Artiesmama, I am reupholstering 2 chairs for that area and hubby is making a large coffee table.

    Love the idea of a bigger rug, that one came from our old house so it went with our old furniture.

    I tried to photoshop (amaturely) some photos of what I meant by "architectural elements". The first photo is the way it is now, the second is supposed to resemble a painted boxed in beam with trim and the third is a wooden beam (which we would have done in a different color). I know the photos don't look that good but if you can use your imagination, what do you think?







  • 9 years ago

    Your last pic with the driftwood looking beam would have been my suggestion, but I don't think it is necessary unless Mr. Woodworker, is game. How does it finish out on the kitchen side though?

    jayneodo thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 9 years ago

    Here it is from the kitchen! (Imagine a different color with more gray, yes driftwood looking).


  • 9 years ago

    I don't think you need it, but its your call. It looks a bit barrier like to me. See if a larger rug and some furniture tweaking won't do the trick first.

  • 9 years ago
    Why don't you consider some stone
  • 9 years ago
    Or this
  • 9 years ago
    Here is how we separated our spaces:
  • 9 years ago
    Beautiful Katharine! Thanks.
  • 9 years ago
    This room is the room of dreams.....
    jayneodo thanked Patty Hash
  • 9 years ago
    Get a larger rug to define the living "room" and another rug to define the dining "room". The living room furniture should have the front legs (or more) ON the rug. The dining room rug should be four feet wider and four feet longer than the table to allow easy use of the chairs (2' of rug, or a bit more, all around the table). Maybe the current living room rug is large enough for the dining room?
    jayneodo thanked felizlady