Software
Houzz Logo Print
suzettelane

Full or half screens on new double hung windows?

9 years ago
Purchasing new double hung OKNA windows for a basement level and 2 upper floors of Tudor house in Queens NY. Could someone tell me pros and cons?
Thank you

Comments (12)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Do the windows open both from top and bottom? Then, full screens.

  • 9 years ago
    Yes, windows will open from both top and bottom. We were concerned with overall aesthetics and windows looking like there is no glass on them . The screens will be dark -- the frames are dark bronze.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Watch Hill Oceanfront Residence · More Info

    looking at this picture only the bottom can be seen, ,in reality I wouldn't bother to open the the top window but only the bottom part where the screen will be , and only lower the top part when cleaning is needed.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Full screen is much more functional. We replaced our old double hung windows which had full screens not realizing it is standard for new double hung windows to come with sliding half screens. It was a pain and we immediately ordered full screens to replace the half screens.

    In the few weeks we had the half screens my husband forgot to slide the screens when he opened the top at night, more than once, and we woke up with a variety of moths and mosquitos in the room.

  • 9 years ago

    I guess it's just how you use them -- in 30 years in three different houses, I've never opened the tops except to clean.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    The half screens solved the problem for me! I am ordering Marvin windows with the authentic looking gills 3 over 3 on top similar to the photo of the nice home above. I wanted first of all as much of a clear view and natural light coming in as possible without having the extreme cost of getting retractable screens (additional moving parts for headaches down the road as well ... super cool though).
    I also did not want these expensive beautiful windows covered entirely with a screen hiding the beauty of the windows from the outside. It’s very much about ascetics for me but seems practical as well.
    Another benefit is taking half screens in and out for winter is far easier than the full screens, not so awkward to work with. Storage is easier as they will
    take up less space. We have central air so we would only be opening our windows on a beautiful spring or fall day and would not need to open the windows from the top for air flow circulation(letting warm air out the top and outside air in through the bottom). If I do want to open just the top window only for some reason the screen will slide up or can be placed on the top of the windows.
    The only thing I won’t be able to do is open the window top and bottom at the same time but that is not an issue for me.

  • 6 years ago

    If you have small children and like open windows for fresh air, having full screens so you can open the top portion (for safety) without having to move the screens is sooooo much easier.

  • 5 years ago

    I have half screens for windows that slide open from right to left. The bugs and bees get in through the crack where the half screen ends at 1/2 the window. Any thoughts on how to keep out the bugs?

  • 4 years ago

    I personally dislike the full screens that came with our new windows. Beautiful new windows you don't have a clear view out of, no way to lean out and talk to the neighbor or yell at your kids. Another thing to clean. No way to easily open and encourage a bug out.

  • 4 years ago

    I don't like screens on my windows, not a big deal since we never open the windows. \We have our full window screens stored in garage.

  • 3 years ago

    I don't like full screens because it makes the window look so dark. I had Andserson's made with SDL window grills on the top of double hung windows so a full screen would significantly hide that beautiful feature. When you look at beautiful pictures of homes in advertisements or Pinterest they never have the screens in much less a full screen. However, with that being said I do like a full screen for the bathrooms and I always remove the screens once late fall arrives. Full screens are like storm doors that take away from the beauty of a front door.