Software
Houzz Logo Print
alyssa_vache

Oncidium ID?

9 years ago

Ugh, I feel like I post too much on this forum, lol. My apologies if it gets annoying, I'm just trying not to kill costly plants!

I bought this one this past Saturday, it was unlabeled at the nursery. Anyone know a possible ID?

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    What a beautiful Orchid Alyssa! I wish the nurseries around my area would carry Orchids. They don't even carry Phals anymore because local supermarkets have taken over that market!

    Don't ever think you're posting too much...this is how we all learn!

    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked JerseyGirl (aka iheartorchids.com)
  • 9 years ago

    I agree. do not worry about posting. Beautiful plant. But in the very large world of orchids and infinite number of potential hybrids it is unlikely to ever get a name. However this question does get answered sometimes. I got a name of a species by looking at an orchid seller online. That happened 5 years after I got the plant.


    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
  • 9 years ago

    JerseyGirl,

    whereabouts are you in NJ? I got this one at Silva Orchids near Asbury Park, they only grow orchids there! I also have a few from Waldor, very awesome place to go if you're looking for great plants.

    Harvey,

    Thank you! I was hoping someone would have an idea as to a possible parent even, but until then I'll just admire its blooms. There's another spike on its way up, and 2 new pb's forming while the old ones all have new growth. Looks like a really vigorous grower!

  • 9 years ago

    Atlantic City has one too :) that's where Waldor is. Both are fantastic places to visit with very nice and knowledgeable staff.

  • 9 years ago

    Oh cool Alyssa on the Orchid nursery in Asbury Park! I would definitely make that a day trip once beach weather really kicks in! Sun and fun all day, and then more fun on the way home! hahaha

    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked JerseyGirl (aka iheartorchids.com)
  • 9 years ago

    Really stunning colors, Alyssa! I doubt you'll ever know exactly, but I'll throw this out there: Volcano Queen. I made a point to take a photo of the name tag on this Oncidium at the the NY Botanical Gardens in the Bronx, because the colors on this plant blew me away, and I need to have it one day! It's a really good match for your new pet. Hard to see in this pic, but the red petals/sepals, orange center, and yellow lip match exactly.

    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked Danielle Rose
  • 9 years ago

    dannie, i would have to say that's very very close! might just call it that to be honest, lol.

    jersey girl, definitely worth the trek!

  • 9 years ago

    It looks like a match!

    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
  • 9 years ago

    Only issue is if you google "Oncidium volcano queen" a completely different bloom comes up. Oh well! I trust the NYBG.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Alyssa, the 'Volcano Queen' bit is the least important part of the name. It is like searching for John when you are looking for a surname example..... Findeddy You will find a zillion Johns but maybe nil Findeddy which is I just made up.

    'Volcano Queen' is an informally reserved clone name used by an orchid nursery in Hawaii.

    If this is confusing read this FAQ.


    Orchid name stuff

    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked arthurm2015
  • 9 years ago

    Wow. Google says that is most definitely NOT the flowers in my photo from NYBG! I'm thinking it's more what comes up searches for Oncidium Volcano Midnight 'Volcano Queen'. That one has the more red-orange-yellow yours has. The Hula Halau VQ is a distinct deep red and cream.

    Hey ... who's going to prove you wrong? ;)

    Alyssa (Zone 6) thanked Danielle Rose
  • 9 years ago

    I agree, looks like a match for sure. thanks for your help!!

  • 9 years ago

    This lovely little baby is blooming again for me:

    and it's also sending up a third spike (which wasn't there when I bought it--what a confidence booster)

    Also, just for fun:

    I successfully crossed it with Onc. Sharry Baby

  • 6 years ago

    Oncidium Volcano Midnight 'Volcano Queen'

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida