Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannies_garden54

Any idea what these seeds are?

I purchased 5 different types of seeds and these are 2 of the ones I did not order. Any chance someone knows what they are?

I did not order 6 seeds of anything (order was 100 pcs or 200 pcs of Plumerias, giant Hibiscus and Alstomerias). It was off Ebay from China :(

I just started sowing seeds this Spring, so it's very frustrating to get wrong seeds, but I don't want to just toss them. I'm realy just wanting Plumeria seeds (to see if I can sow them) so I ordered a few other seeds to ship all together. I wait so much time and then.....wrong seeds :(

Thanks, Jeannie :)

Comments (17)

• Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
    6 years ago

Hi, Jeannie! Have you tried reviewing the vendor website to see if they have photos of these seeds within their listings? What vendor is it?

Maria Elena

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Maria Elena (Caribbean - USDA Zone 13a)
  • Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm no longer purchasing from ebay....The vendor was dhavkin. I'm tired of purchasing plants/seeds on Ebay and they are either infested with bugs or not healthy plants. The seeds this vendor sent for Wasabi was actually hot mustard seeds....I no longer will be going to Ebay for anything.

Happy Gardening, Jeannie :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    6 years ago

Jeannie, if you'd asked on here you would have got a definite thumbs down for buying plants and seeds from eBay. We get regular complaints about misidentified seeds.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'm still fighting spidermites from an ebay order.....I purchased several Adeniums from a seller and he sent the last 2 orders (3 adeniums and then 4 more adeniums) with spidermites. At first, I noticed the leaves were lighter colored than the ones he sent before, but I didn't think too much about it.....then about a week later, they were on a lot of my plants in the greenhouse. I have milkweed seedlings and adenium seedlings infested with these spidermites, plus other plants:((((((((((( I'm having to take everything out of the greenhouse to try and keep them from spreading everywhere :( I am so frustrated with ebay right now....I let the seller know and he did say he had a problem with spidermites, but then he blamed it on me for not giving them fertilizer:( so ebay was in his favor. Because I was too busy I didn't check my ebay messages to respond back. I think he knows how to beat the system....He also sells lots of coins (with lots of bad feedback), so I will never order from him again.

I use earthworm tea for everything I water and I use the castings from my earthworm factory to pot up plants. I have been gardening for many, many years and I have never ever had this problem until I got those last 2 orders of Adeniums from that seller.

Sorry for venting on here!

6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Wow! Jeannie ... So sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. You get the wrong seeds AND unwanted pests to boot! That just about sums up the eBay experience. There is just so much lack of respect out there. You and I would never even consider sending someone mites, let alone on a plant they purchased. That is so inconsiderate and beyond comprehension. I certainly hope you reflected the mite issue in your feedback.

I recommend using Triple Action Neem Oil by Southern AG.

https://southernag.com/residential-products/triple-action-neem-oil/

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Southern-Ag-8-oz-Triple-Action-Neem-Oil-100048933/100662146

It is a non-toxic, broad spectrum fungicide, insecticide, miticide. Just shake well, mix 2 tblsp in a 1 gallon sprayer, and apply, shaking solution frequently. Spray everything from the tops and undersides of plants, soil, pots, surfaces they're on, etc. Spray during early evening so it works overnight. In the morning (before 10am), if your plants are outside in the sun, spray everything down with a hose so you don't experience sunburn on the leaves. No need to rinse otherwise. Repeat every three days or so until the problem is eradicated.

I used it on my roses and they are looking better than ever, with buds on every single branch tip. I did not rinse it off either .. There was no leaf scald. I have also used this product on my gardenia, orchids, C&S, including epis, with no harm at all.

Maria Elena

Original Author
    6 years ago

I would leave negative feedback for him, but ebay took them off my purchase history (so I couldn't leave bad feedback). I gave him time and boy did he take it....in his favor, but I have learned and I will no longer purchase anything from ebay again.

I will try to get some of that sometime soon. Thanks for all the info.

I still haven't had time to re pot all my Plumerias....I did 3 of them. They are still on my sidewalk in the back and my DH keeps saying that we are wearing down the grass in that area. I've got to get that done soon....I purchased pots and soil....just don't seem to have the time. The white one is growing some, it needs new soil and hopefully I will be able to send you a cutting (with some small bromeliads) soon :)

• shp123
    6 years ago

The first picture looks like moringa seeds.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked shp123
    6 years ago

Hi, Jeannie!

Here is a picture of some of my freshly harvested Moringa seeds. If yours are three sided like these, then shp123 is correct. They will give you a nutrition-rich tree in one season.

I use the leaves for nutrient dense green smoothies, teas and in salads. Eating a seed is like taking a high potency multivitamin, complete with minerals. If you want to grow it and
    need help, I can share everything you need to know about this tree, how to grow it, how to harvest and dry the leaves, how to use it for food, etc. Once it seeds, you can cut it down, harvest the pods,
    and it will grow again. We always have 2 on our property

Maria Elena

Original Author
    6 years ago

These seeds are pretty flat. I opened 2 of them and I'm not sure that they are even viable. Seems that there's two seeds in each one.

6 years ago

Ha! I originally thought they may be Moringa seeds, as well, Jeannie. They did, however, look too small and flat. Soooo, back to square 1 on this seed. Did they actually arrive from the seller marked wrong or unmarked? Have you planted one to see what you get? If you'd like some Moringa seeds, let me know, Jeannie.

• ophoenix
    6 years ago

You might be able to identify the seed by downloading this pdf file. It is free and the most complete seed identification file that we could find for our blog, www.accessiblegardens.org. It is also quite beautiful - all drawings are hand rendered. Hope it helps. Seed Drawings - 30 pages total but small file.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked ophoenix
  • Jennie Kanyok
    6 years ago

I know this thread started awhile back, but those seeds look like tabebuia or something in that family. They have wing - like structures, sometimes frilly, but once those are removed the seeds look very much like those you posted. Here's a picture of mine, collected from trees in Miami this summer. They make beautiful flowering trees.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked Jennie Kanyok
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the info Jennie.

I still have not planted them. I had read that they have to be planted right away, and I did not order them, so I'm thinking they were old seeds anyway. Thanks for the name.

• PoohBearLvr
    5 years ago

i see this is a VERY old post. Did you ever plant these to see what you would get? The ones on the top are plumeria seeds. They fall off my plumeria tree in my yard, after a long time in their pods, and that is what they look like. They self sow and grow on their own. I find a small tree every so often, after a few weeks after the pods break open.

Jeannies_Garden (Tx 9a) thanked PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No Plumeria seeds....I know what they look like and these are not them. I believe they are Tabebuia as Jennie suggested. I did sow several of them a while back, but they did not germinate. The seeds probably were too old. I did learn not to buy/bid on seeds on Ebay unless I know for sure others had purchased from that particular Seller.

• PoohBearLvr
    5 years ago

oh yes they can be the yellow or pink Tab. tree. My Yellow Tab. tree has just dropped a bunch of these all over my yard,like it does every spring. After Hurricane Irma there was almost nothing left of my yellow Tab,But it bloomed and it put out pods all over it. Then it was like snow one morning a few weeks ago,when they all opened up at once.

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions