Software
Houzz Logo Print
laurie_winiarski

Can anyone help identify these chairs

9 years ago

Hello, I just got these two chairs at a yardsale and was wondering if anyone knows how old they may be. I am new to antique furniture so any information is appreciated. I thought they may be a Phyfe reproduction, but I haven't found this design anywhere.


Thanks in advance - I solemnly swear I will never paint them!


Laurie

Comments (12)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    1920s - 30s?

    Laurie Winiarski thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9/10
  • 9 years ago

    Nice old chairs....Maybe 20's maybe 70's, maybe lots older, perhaps 1900. They are are just a basic "traditional style. They appear nicely made and with new seat covers will serve you well!

    Laurie Winiarski thanked lindac92
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Judging from the seat construction, I would rule out the 70's. So if I do recover it, do I leave the original stuffing?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yep, those are Duncan Phyfe chairs with horsehair stuffing. They're probably from the 20's-30's which is when the bulk of DP was made although some were still manufactured into the early 40's. It was a very popular style and many DR sets still remain.


    Laurie Winiarski thanked User
  • 9 years ago

    Duncan Phyfe was a Scottish cabinet maker who worked in New York between about 1800 to about 1850. His style included open back chairs with a gentle curve to the front leg, but also in the Greco-Roman X leg style.
    Somehow people call any chair with an open back and a curved leg "Duncan Phyfe".
    Looking again at your picture of the seats on the chair, I wonder if that board with the padding and fabric was not a replacement, and the chairs older than 1920. How about a picture of the chair with the seat off? That seat seems to hang off the front of the chair a bit too much.

    Laurie Winiarski thanked lindac92
  • Laurie Winiarski thanked lindac92
  • 9 years ago

    Linda, I will take better pictures. Why it may look too far forward is one seat is off and one attached. The one that was not attached may not have been seeded correctly. Thanks so much. BTW - these were free after a townwide yardsale, so I am very appreciative of your help!


  • 9 years ago

    As my father-in-law used to say "For free, take! For buy waste time"...
    You are going to spend 10 times what they cost and more besides to get them redone.. ;-) but they are definitely worth it!


    Laurie Winiarski thanked lindac92
  • 9 years ago

    Two more pictures loaded. Comcast doesn't seem to want to deliver the other two yet!


  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for all of your help!

  • 9 years ago

    That cotton batting is old.....see the seeds in it? There are conflicting views on dating batting by the seeds....some say that batting before the invention of the cotton gin was cleaner, fewer seeds because people picked the cotton cleaner....
    But I believe the batting is older than the chairs.


    Laurie Winiarski thanked lindac92
Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions