Software
Houzz Logo Print
ptn96

Too much space?

9 years ago
Is this too much space between the cabinets and the island?
It's over 6 feet.

Comments (24)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    6 feet is a bit wider than the typical space - but it will be really great when you have multiple people working in the kitchen together - I am not a kitchen designer, but I believe each leg of the work triangle is suggested to not exceed 7 feet, so you will be fine - plus - if you are like me, you can dance while you cook, which is a bonus!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Yes. Way too much space. 48" is for a two butt kitchen. Someone didn't want to move plumbing when they took down the wall. I'd want an engineer's report to see if they cheaped out on the proper support for that wall removal as well. And probably a whole host of other cheap outs.

  • 9 years ago

    On the plus side it does make it easy to use a wheel chair.


  • 9 years ago
    FYI no wall removed. New build.
  • 9 years ago
    When you have two people working there at the same time you will have room for a third to pass. My kitchen is the same layout but only 48" and I wish it was wider.
  • 9 years ago
    Andie98 -- how much wider?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    That is wider than I normally spec. Generally, 42" is sufficient. Don't quite understand that design. Plus it doesn't even look like there is a overhang on the other side of the island granite for stools? It is just a lot of space that really can't be effectively used.

  • 9 years ago
    There is overhang on the island but you can't see it here. Our island isn't installed yet so I can place it where I want it. Might have to move pendants. Just trying to decide what the right space is. I've read minimum of 42-48 but no real maximum. I want it to have an open feeling but don't want too much space.
  • 9 years ago

    Mine is 5 feet and it is perfect for multiple people in the kitchen without looking too open.

  • 9 years ago
    I'd live in it awhile. You may find it's not to big after all. Have a party and you may love the space as is. Also a fun rug would look nice.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    It is required to have electrical and be permanently fastened to the floor, plus there is plumbing to be redone, so moving it is a big deal. But it needs to be moved. That is the space needed for a major traffic corridor, not a work aisle. You will walk yourself to death with that much space between zones.

  • 9 years ago
    Sophie what do you suggest as the maximum space? 5 feet?
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    54", counter to counter is more than sufficient if your family is large and you all work together in the kitchen to produce meals. 48" is actually fine for most families, and plenty of room for a handicart if someone becomes disabled, etc. The single butt 42" kitchen is very roomy if you compare what most NYC kitchens are forced to deal with. I was in a small urban kitchenette other day that has 24" pinch points getting in and out of it, and it had been that way for 40 years. He had to move everything out when he wanted to fit in a new refrigerator. The owner was fine with it. I was kinda horrified.

  • 9 years ago

    Since no one else is allowed in my kitchen while I'm cooking (which is a rare occasion:) ). I don't need a lot of space, however, since our dog follows me around the kitchen it would be handy to have it. Extra steps to reach my 10,000 might be a good thing.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    5' would be plenty. 42" minimum. 16-18" overhang for stools, supported properly for island countertop. Outlets in island (code in most areas if not all these days, Fred can weigh in on that.) plumbing moves, hope the flooring isn't in yet? That decision needs to be made ASAP to prevent other problems. Not sure where you are in this project.

  • 9 years ago

    Open up your dishwasher door and see how much space you have around it to pass by. Open up your oven door and see how much space there is by standing in front of it to take food out. That will give you some idea about the space. I think I would just put a pretty runner down and leave it.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Wear comfortable running shoes.

  • 9 years ago

    If it's a new build, why would they have a huge beam like that below ceiling height? it's not like it adds rustic charm. I'd worry about what other stupidities are baked into the plans.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    My guess is that it is a structural beam and it keeps the second floor from becoming the first floor.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think someone took a standard online sourced plan with a closed kitchen and then changed it to "open concept" without doing anything other than putting in that beam. The location of the sink plumbing was likely on the original wall that was there below the now needed beam. It was probably a peninsula kitchen plan in the original as well. Many of these home mill plans are regurgitated over and over again with only minor changes other than the cutesey names.

  • 9 years ago
    I have 42". I wish it was larger. !!
  • 9 years ago

    "If it's a new build, why would they have a huge beam like that below ceiling height?"

    A beam that long could easily need to be twice as deep as what shows below the ceiling. In addition, there usually needs to be room above the beam, but still below the upper floor, that is used to get utilities and duct work from one side of the beam to the other.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    When it was new build in CA - old now - has that steel beam [was told that] right near center of rectangular kitchen....