Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristine_legault

Beautiful Savannah

My new favorite rose is Savannah. The color is stunning and she hfs her blooms for days. I haven't tried it in a vase yet I just hate to cut them they're so pretty on the bush

Comments (61)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Kordes Sunbelt Series Savannah rose, or something like that should work!

The fragrance in my climate to me smells like baby powder or baby products, in a good way. I haven't actually smelled anything similar to it, now that I think about it.

And she always has fragrance, whether it's a brand new plant, or an old bloom rotting on the bush. I like the fragrance much better than Beverly but that's such a personal thing. Beverly doesn't always have fragrance here but has a very good reputation.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • myermike_1micha
    6 years ago

Well, thank you. I already bookmarked this page for order come next spring!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked myermike_1micha
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    Original Author
    6 years ago

my Beverly has not opened yet it looks like a few more days and then I'll be able to determine the fragrance. That is crazy to know that Savannah could get that tall. It is so cute and petite right now. I am so pleased with this Rose The Forum the color amd the foliage is beautiful.

Original Author
    6 years ago

I went out and took a couple more pictures and took a good Whiff and oh does it smell nice . It

just smells like a delicious rose smell of days gone by

• alice_abq_7a
    5 years ago

I am really enjoying Savannah this spring. It's been in the ground 1 year and this picture was taken after 93 degree temps. Truly living up to Sunbelt name. I will update once summer and 100 plus temps rolls around.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Alice, your Savannah is gorgeous

I am still waiting on my first bloom

• jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
    5 years ago

My Savannah is leafing out now, awaiting buds.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

I'm getting Savannah this year...so I'll see how it does in a cooler summer. It may need hot weather to do well. We'll see. :) I'm loving everyone's pics! Yes, Alice's Savannah looks heavenly!!! But then so does everyone else's. Kristine, I love the bush shot!!

Carol

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked rosecanadian
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Finally some buds on Savannah this morning she's taken her time but But once she gets going she is going to be fabulous

• smithdale1z8pnw
    5 years ago

Rosecanadian..........I too live in an area with cool summers & Savannah is performing very well. This will be her 3rd summer & she is gorgeously healthy, the stems are dark burgundy & she keeps a nice shape. No buds yet but last years' were wonderful. I highly recommend her.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Smithdale - excellent!!! Thanks for the heads up. :)

CArol

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Boy, I am glad I got this rose. Order is still processing. I can't wait to get it going in my garden.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked KarenPA_6b
    Original Author
    5 years ago

You will love it Karen

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    5 years ago

It took 90-degree temps for my Savannah to wake up. I wonder if it is the night temperatures rather than the day temps or if it is something entirely different. All my other roses broke dormancy two months ago. Well, in truth, Savannah did put out a few tiny leaves, then didn't budge until a week ago.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Savannah is definitely taking her time waking up one of the very last to put on buds.

That being said she's got gorgeous foliage so healthy looking I'm thinking of pulling everything else out and just planting Savannah because she is not a pain in the butt like a few others who shall remain nameless.

• Christian
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I just purchased a 2 gallon Savannah from my local Walmart for $15. Here is a pic of one of the fully opened blooms they are massive and smelled divine I couldn’t pass one up. I’ll post a picture of the plant I got when I get home.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Christian
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

I finally got my Savannah from Hortico...obviously no flowers yet, as it's a bareroot. :)

That looks gorgeous, Christian!!! :) I can't wait to smell mine!! Eeeee!!

Carol

• Christian
    5 years ago

Here’s a full bush shot of the Savannah I chose. They were all large healthy plants.

Now I just have to find her a spot in the garden. :)

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Christian
    Original Author
    5 years ago

What a great rose she is.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Wow, Christian, that's a nice healthy rose bush!! Nicer than any I've gotten here. Good job!

Carol

Original Author
    5 years ago

That's pretty amazing that that came from Walmart that is a great looking rose. Last year I got a Fiji from Walmart who knew that they sold Kordes roses at Walmart .

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    5 years ago

I got one Saturday from local nursery. Can’t wait to enjoy the blooms and bush. I planted it beside Heritage, hope it looks good there.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked kentucky_rose zone 6
  • rosecanadian
    5 years ago

I just planted my Savannah bare root! Can't wait for it to grow!!

Carol

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Christian - I could have got a Summer Romance rose at Canadian Tire, but it said that it smelled of apples...and I hate that fragrance. :) But looking at your blooms...I'm very much impressed!! Gorgeous blooms! And I look at all the bushes that way too!!

Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow Christian, that is amazing!

I went over to Walmart today needed a few more million solar lights lol and I needed a doorbell for our nice new paint job so I was looking at the roses of course the usual knockouts and a bunch of things from star and I didn't see anything from Kordes I don't think

But, I may go grab a Bolero. The one that I got from Regans is really taking its time leafing out

The other 4 that I got all look ready to set buds but the bolero is just putzing along maybe I'll go get another one. I have bet I can find a place for it.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow Christian, that is amazing!

I went over to Walmart today needed a few more million solar lights lol and I needed a doorbell for our nice new paint job so I was looking at the roses of course the usual knockouts and a bunch of things from star and I didn't see anything from Kordes I don't think

But, I may go grab a Bolero. The one that I got from Regans is really taking its time leafing out

The other 4 that I got all look ready to set buds but the bolero is just putzing along maybe I'll go get another one. I have bet I can find a place for it.

• rosesnfriends
    5 years ago

Seattle area Home Depot stores appear to be carrying Savannah this year. I got two for $12.98 each. Pots were 1.5 gallon. The plants were a nice sized. I didn't see a graft, so they're probably own root.

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked rosesnfriends
    5 years ago

Was your Savannah rose rosesnfriends being sold by Star Roses when you bought it from Home Depot?

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked jazzmom516 (Zone 6b, MA)
  • Fawn Rueckert
    5 years ago

Christian, how did the blooms do in a vase? Good vase life?

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Fawn Rueckert
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Christian- wow!! Stunning. You are so lucky!! Our Walmarts/Lowes/HD don't ever offer anything you'd want to buy. The best I ever found at Lowes one year, and one year only, was Bolero. Does she smell as scrumptious as she looks? I have 2, one own root which suffered severe cane dieback this winter and a new purchase grafted from Palatine. Hopefully one will flower for me.

sharon

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Don’t be discouraged over the severe canes winter damage. I had the same thing happen to my roses & they are now leafed out & forming buds.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

thanks Jazzmom- She is growing so that's good. No buds yet but hoping to see some soon. I generally don't see any rose blooms until end of June, early July so fingers crossed I'll see some roses once summer hits. I do have tiny buds on DA Queen of Sweden and Windermere plus tiny buds on Zaide and Earth Angel so I'll be seeing some flowers :-)

sharon

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I had moved my Earth Angel when it was dormant in late April. It was the only rose with minimal winter damage. Any leaves it had on it, started to drop. It is now adjusted to its new home & leafing out properly.

Original Author
    5 years ago

My poor Earth angel looks terrible I. I guess I didn't water it enough . I thought I did but the inside was all crispy the outside everything was limp. We got a huge rainstorm last night and it looks better today . I also gave it some B 1 yesterday and some kelp hopefully that will get it going.

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

rosesnfriends.. our home depot surely has savannah and a lot of other nice roses...cant pass savannah ..will get it!! it smelled aaahhhhh

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked R pnwz8a
  • enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Krisitine- B 1? I never heard of using this and that it helps with transplanting shock. I'm so glad that you mentioned this. I learn so much from all the knowledgeable rose growers in this forum. Do you just use when transplanting a rose or throughout the summer? I've been lucky it's been very cool here so the roses aren't suffering much by way of transplant shock but my Anne Henderson from Palatine is really struggling with crispy leaves. I wonder if that would help.

sharon

Original Author
    5 years ago

Sharon, I had an old Rosarian friend who gree several hundred Rose's and he always B 1 when fertilizing. I had forgotten all about that until we moved to this house and in the shed was a bottle of B 1. I figured it was worth a try.

He had quite a stew of Ingredients.

I don't remember it all but it included Super Thrive which he swore by.

• enchantedrosez5bma
    5 years ago

Krisitine- I have super thrive and also have Pro-tekt which is supposed to help with transplant shock as it's an anti-desiccant. I sprayed the leaves and drenched the soil. I'll see if I can locate my super thrive too. Hopefully this will help. She seems to be recovering, having a few new leaves emerging. Fortunately this is the only rose out of the dozens I transplanted that is struggling. Because it has been cool here my roses aren't suffering from the amount of transplant shock that has occurred in past years. One plus of this rather cool spring.

sharon

Original Author
    5 years ago

Yay, Savannah, finally

Loaded with blooms. I transplanted her last year and I am so glad that she is a hardy girl.

• rosecanadian
    5 years ago

Oh my goodness!!!!! So many flowers/buds!! And the first picture is swoon-worthy!! Ohhhh!!! I hope my bare root Savannah eventually looks like yours...even half as good would be good enough. :)

Carol

• KarenPA_6b
    5 years ago

Man, I hope mine looks like that someday! Gorgeous! Kristine, either she loves you or she knows that you love her. Blooms like that can only come from love. :)

Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you but I can take no credit. I think this is just a great rose in zone 8

• Rosiez6a_MA
    2 years ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw do the flowers last well in the heat? I am planning to have 10 Savannah in front of my west facing house. Thanks!

Kristine LeGault 8a pnw thanked Rosiez6a_MA
  • KarenPA_6b
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Savannah is a very tall upright bush. it can get over 6ft tall in one season’s growth. it will make a great hedge.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree with Karen that it gets large and would make for a lovely hedge

• Rosiez6a_MA
    2 years ago

Thanks Karen and Kristine. Does the color fade under the afternoon sun?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here in Cincinnati it holds its color well. Rosie, Where in 6a do you live? You can also add that information to your name as it's very useful. Zone 6a covers a wide variety of Habitats.😉

• Rosiez6a_MA
    2 years ago

I am in Boston. Thanks for the advice. I will add that to my name. I am asking about the color fading because I plan to have them facing west so they will only get afternoon sun.

• KarenPA_6b
    2 years ago

Savannah is a good bloomer for me but its flowers flatten really fast in hot weather which make them not too attractive. Maybe you should try one bush first and see if you like it enough to plant 10 of them.