Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ericbss7

Countertop Support Over a Dishwasher

ericbss7
6 years ago

So I recently purchased kitchen cabinets from Ikea (have yet to install) along with Quartz countertops (obviously waiting to be measured and installed also). Where I'm getting stuck is how the countertop will mount over the dishwasher. As you can see in the skilled MS Paint drawing below, my fridge is on one side of my dishwasher, and the sink is on the other:

Now, for a normal drop-in or under mount sink this wouldn't be an issue, as most manufacturers state that the countertops can run a 24" span without needing support. The only problem is that I purchased an Ikea Domsjo farmhouse sink, where the countertop is mounted under the side edges of the sink, breaking it up into 2 separate pieces on either side (see below):

So now the question becomes, how do I support the slab of countertop over my dishwasher? It's fairly tight to the fridge so not a lot of room to work in there. I've seen some people suggesting a 2x4 cleat on the back wall that's level with the countertops for support back there, but then what about the fridge side and front? Just wondering if anyone has had an experience like this before. Feeling like I may have to get creative. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• Kathryn P
    6 years ago

We didn't use the Domsjo sink, but did have our dishwasher between the sink and fridge, topped with quartz countertops. Are you using a fridge panel next to the fridge? If so, you can just attach one of these FIXA brackets to the fridge panel and one to the wall behind the dishwasher for support. If there is no fridge panel, I suppose you could just do the wall bracket, but I'm not sure that'd be enough support.

• Kitchenwitch111
    6 years ago

You have to put a 3/4" base end panel between the DW & the refrigerator to hold up the counter and conceal the side of the DW.

• suzanne_sl
    6 years ago

DW sides are unfinished, you can't just leave it uncovered. As I recall, the sides of our dishwasher were covered in yellow insulation with all sorts of plumbing stuff exposed. You may have to rethink the width of your refrigerator if you don't have enough space for an end panel with the current plan.

• kai615
    6 years ago

I don't know much about buying cabinets, but I am diying my kitchen.... very slowly. I have a similar situation. A dishwasher, next to a stove, and on the other side a sink. We actually needed to install the dishwasher with a supportive panel on either side made from 3/4 ply wood. It doesn't show, only supports the wood counter. We also ran a support rail along the wall. I am not sure this was necessary as we had a wood top and not stone, but we tend to over build and not under build. The plywood sits within the dishwasher 24" footprint so I don't see how a panel effects your space, but again, we diy most everything and I can offer no help buying cabinets..

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    6 years ago

You have a sink cabinet, a 24" space for a dishwasher, a 3/4" space for a dishwasher end panel, then your refrigerator.