Software
Houzz Logo Print
blackwillow87

Looking for mimosa borealis seeds

9 years ago

I'm also looking for velvet pod mimosa seeds. I have seeds from the following plants: Pride of Barbados, yellow poinciana, and Gregg's mistflower that I could trade

Comments (10)

  • 9 years ago

    Thank you Mara! I really appreciate it! I keep seeing it on other threads and I just had to grow it lol.

  • 9 years ago

    It was perfect timing because my trees are dropping huge amounts of seed right now. I think that the seed will be speeded up by a bit of braiding the surface before planting. This is a guess since it took awhile for me to get any volunteer seedlings under it. I was actually amazed that no seeds were germinating for the first few years after I planted it. 5 years later, I have gobs of germination,....almost too much in my lean rocky soil. I have one growing naturally in a damper more clayey spot , and I do not see any run away germination. The seeds have a hard coating, so maybe they need to be worn down to germinate. They are fragrant. Also don't believe the 3-5' height estimate. In my crappy soil , they are 12'. The one in clay is shorter Than the one in the coin existent limestone soil.. Go figure.

    blackwillow87 thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • 9 years ago

    Wow that's really neat Mara. It sounds like they need leaner soil? I'll have to get plenty of decomposed granite then for my clay soil. Is it a fast growing plant? I wonder if scarification would speed up the germination?

  • 9 years ago

    I think scarification will speed it up , thats why I mentioned the delay in the seeding under the tree. I see that auto spell changed my misspelled abrading to braiding. Cute. The one in the clay downhill spot is native and I only found it when I did some clearing. I have others that are in the lean area that were native and they are smaller than the ones that I brought in . I must haver improved their holes with DG and compost. I planted 4 close together , thinking they would be small , and they got huge. I am down to 2 now because I had to clear them out because of their size. I am thinking of taking out another It is too close to my bridge now that it has gotten huge.

    blackwillow87 thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • 9 years ago

    I hate when spell check does that. I'll try scarifying a few seeds. I can't believe yours grew that tall. I'm planning on planting them along a parking lot in front of my house to keep people from parking in my lawn. I don't mind the 12' tall height, that's all the better. It's a shame you'll have to take out another one by your bridge.

  • 9 years ago

    The one in the part shaded situation is smaller too. I guess it is fighting cedar root system

  • 9 years ago

    I wonder if I plant them on the west side of my house, would that be enough sun?

  • 9 years ago

    Sounds like it. I have it growing in full sun and in the edge of sun and in part shade. So it is flexible but happiest in full sun.


    blackwillow87 thanked wantonamara Z8 CenTex
  • 9 years ago

    OK great. I'm glad that's enough sun for them. Eventually I'll get some decomposed granite when they're ready to plant.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets