Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dezanj

Front Entrance Help!

Jessica D Ann
6 years ago
Looking for ideas of what to put in our front entrance. My family does not use this entrance, it is only used by guests. Would appreciate any advice / suggestions. Thanks!

Comments (72)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Of the last three posted I really like the first and second for your entry. I believe they are both .25 in pile height.

Anyway, think the distressed vintage will look best with the door glass.

You have a lovely home and I'm sure you know now what is best for size... don't just focus on the blue, but keep it with a decent amount of cream and make sure it will clear the door... a mistake I've made many times in different areas of the home opening linen doors and so on :)

Let me know when you get time what you might get! I think Wayfair delivers to your area so that's where I looked.

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I LOVE the chevron style rug for the great room! Like thats its simple and adds some texture. But do you think that cream would look ok? I have a lot of white (trim, tv cabinet and chairs).

For the entrance i like the last rug you posted best. You are right, the pile of the current rug is .25.
  • Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Actually i like the second rug you posted the best for the entrance. And yes wayfair delivers to me! :)
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Trim, moulding doesn't matter. My whole family room is linen furnishings and I have tall trim and crown it's pure white... you may need to get a couple linen pillows to add or replace if you have fully white tone toss pillows on the couch or off white Mongolian.. I like white and off white together. The home is essentially monochromatic.. no problem doing that. The toss pillows look to have a subtle stripe darker than white.. maybe it's all white toss pillows...it's a computer so hard to tell colors accurately?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Just double check the height of any rug posted as I didn't read this prior. I assumed it was .25, but wasn't sure so some may be a tad more.

I'm not certain which you liked so I can't look at the pile. The second in the first set or the last... :(

Either way, easy to find a distressed neutral semi traditional rug in grays with cream or blues with cream if it's more than .25 that plays will with the window in the door.

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The pillows are all white but they can be changed. Maybe I skip the blue all together and keep with just greys, whites and creams? TV cabinet is white...as well as dinning chairs and bar stools... is that ok?
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

You might consider adding a simple floating shelf that's deep enough to set a purse down while taking off or putting on your coat with a pretty piece of art work above it.

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I liked the Ford Machine Woven Gray/Beige Area Rugby Bungalow Rose™
    Pile height of .5
    But i think i have a better idea of size and style now thanks to you.
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    Copper boot tray to add color:
    Squares Multi-Purpose Shoe Tray · More Info

Your light fixture is elegant and neutral. You could do one with more interest, though I don't have a specific suggestion.
  • Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What your thoughts on these rugs for the main room?

- 1. This one is similar to the one you suggested but grey and white
    https://www.wayfair.ca/Corrigan-Studio-Ontario-Rug-in-Grey-CSTD3701.html

2. This one is a little different but still simple.
    https://www.wayfair.ca/Corrigan-Studio-Canton-Salt-Pepper-Indoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-CSTD2733.html
  • daisiesandbutterflies
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

The style of your front door does not match the rest of the interior of the house imho. I would change the front door to something more updated and classic. And then change the carpet to a 4 x 6 size, in a non-busy light color.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The Ontario as it appears is 1.25 tall in pile and won't work if I'm seeing the correct rug. I don't think your door would clear this.

I'm unable to view the other rug????

• daisiesandbutterflies
    6 years ago

If you have to keep the door, paint it white to match the trim.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The Ontario is 5x8 I think a bit large too even though if I'm seeing this correctly the carpet pile is too high.

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Main ROOM!!! arg, focused totally on the entry as that is what your post was about!

Yes, that would be nice.. I'm not certain of your toss pillow colors, but they fit well on the couch do they work with the Ontario from what you see on the computer... do you know the size rug you need for under the sectional?

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I'd be certain that the area rug (any area rug) is large enough to fit all portions of the sectional as the first photo below:

That is the first photo of the three not the main photo... so half or even at best a tad less is on the area rug.

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sorry I should keep the conversation to the entrance as that is what I asked about. I just got excited when you posted the cream chevron one for the main room. But I want to make sure I can find a rug for the main room that "goes with" a new entrance rug. Im set on a 4x6 distressed muted looking / light in colour rug for the entrance like you suggested.

One last question.... main room rug?

Try this link again for the second rug i suggested (for the main room)

https://www.wayfair.ca/Corrigan-Studio-Canton-Salt-Pepper-Indoor-Outdoor-Area-Rug-CSTD2733.html

What would be your suggested for the main room? 1. Cream chevron you suggested 2. Ontario rug or 3 salt and pepper (link above)

- thanks for your suggestion about the front door but I probably will not change it due to cost. Need to work with it. And I actually prefer the black over white.
  • Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Im not sure on size for the main room (clearly I'm not good at that lol) i think i will tape it out and post another post about the main room. Thanks for the guidance!
  • AC LB
    6 years ago
    Max I ask where you purchased the light fixture above your kitchen table? I love it!
  • Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thank you. I purchased the lights from www.wayfair.ca.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I think the rug you sent the last link to would work fine as I was able to view it finally.

Yet, do prefer the Chevron style as your room has dark brown floors and darker furniture. Either would look perfectly fine. All you have shown would.

I do think you need to change the entry rug to have it work with the very pretty home you have in the rest of the home. I think I understand you said you were going to keep the large scale trellis rug there in the entry... I may have misunderstood.

I feel the entry needs more attention right now than your main living space which beautiful and it can wait and not the entry... just my opinion is all...

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

You may have been speaking about the font door? I'm not sure as nobody was addressed... either way, address the entry rug. I feel a very minimal rug for your family room will be great. Any you have shown will tie in to the entry if cream and gray or cream and blue vintage or distressed muted semi traditional as I look at the window on the front door and that looks best to me.

You've done a great job so far with your furnishings/lighting....... don't second guess yourself. The only single thing you added was a entry rug too large in scale and pattern for the entry..... the rest is GREAT!

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks so much for the nice comments. I plan to change the entry way rug and replace it with something similar to what you suggested. I got the size and pattern wrong. The large scale trellis rug will be gone!
  • akcathy
    6 years ago
    A light rug would definitely look nice but don't forget to consider what's going to happen on that rug. Coming in from the outside with wet snowy boots or shoes can easily stain your rug. I would consider a small scale pattern, color or multicolor rug that will hide anything that is brought in.
  • daisiesandbutterflies
    6 years ago

Since you are keeping your door black, I'd get a rug with some black in it.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Leave the white baseboard, but paint out ALL the doors. The space is currently too chopped up. Art and/or mirror, along with a slender shelf or console will give the space some character. Add art.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You could hang a shelf unit with lamp and decorative item plus a small tray. Perhaps a mirror over it. But your front door might conflict so sizing is very critical. Another option is an upholstered bench to provide a spot for guests to sit for a minute or set a handbag. You might have to get it custom made to fit the spot. But it wouldn't be very costly to do something very inviting. I will post some ideas shortly.
  • Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Flo - small bench for guests is a great suggestion! I took a picture of a small bench I have in another part of my home. What are your thoughts, too tight? It feels ok. Door still opens wide. I put the black 4x6 rug back for the photo for size and to get rid if the distracting trellis pattern. I will get a 4x6 light coloured rug.

I agree the wall behind the door needs something.... art, shelf, mirror? I was thinking a round mirror (maybe with a black frame) to tie in with the black front door and a shelf? I'm I on the right track?

Thoughts on this mirror and shelf?

If I don't do a mirror... I was thinking a custom family sign. Something like the picture attached.
  • Susan Davis
    6 years ago

My foyer is just like your foyer. I have a small console, mirror, and lamp. You could do that at the end of the closet door. Something like this.

All of these pics could help you think out of the box for your foyer!

Contemporary Entry · More Info

Fern Street Condo · More Info

2014 Utah County Parade of Homes · More Info

Фотосъемка интерьера квартиры в ЖК Садовые Кварталы · More Info

Penthouse Contemporary · More Info

Downtown Hamilton Century Home · More Info

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks Susan Davis.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

came across these when looking for something else:

The above could be made

The first two in the photo are 8" or so in width...

simple lines in a metal....

• Farmhouseology
    6 years ago

This is the rug by my entry and I think it will go perfectly in your foyer as well. It's relatively light in color yet hides dirt well, durable, and has a touch of black to make it stand out. Obviously, you would orient yours in the opposite direction.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

The challenge we have here is "width" and the ideas are great, but width are not feasible, at least from what has been posted so far?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

If the door doesn't hit that bench, I think that is rather perfect and then a very simple (thin) round mirror and done. Keep it simple. No kitchy "family" sayings. Those have been overdone. Simple and classy that is the way. At the holidays, you can add some small sprigs of greenery and perhaps a bow to greet guests upon entry.

• Farmhouseology
    6 years ago

Flo, the rug I posted is a 4x6. If there's a 5x7 there now, I think she can get away with a 4x6 as long as it's oriented lengthwise (perpendicular to the front door). Could be wrong on the spacing though, in which case I recommend the same rug in the "runner" version.

• Farmhouseology
    6 years ago

Oh I agree, the bench would never fit in her entry. That's just in my photo because I was taking pic of the rug :)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Rex Convex Mirror · More Info
    A convex mirror could be interesting too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

A runner size rug would be best if you put a bench at the door. And it should have some black but enough pattern to bring a bit of interest and still hide any walk-in dirt. An animal print might be fun. Leopard with a black boarder, something like that.

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for all your comments. Some great suggestions.

Flow - Yes, the challenge is width. I agree with keeping it simple. I like the holiday decor suggestion. And I will do a round mirror.

AC - Thanks for sharing your entry way, your rug is very nice.

Porter Edun - Funny, I was looking at those pictures yesterday and considering building something with my husband.

I think I have enough input to finish off this space. I plan to get a rug with a muted pattern for interest (better size lol), slim console table or bench and a round mirror.
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Good luck Jessica, post when you have it completed! Less is more!! It's been imbedded in my head since a young age and I'm not young!

• PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Artwork would be lovely by the entry:

My Art for Your Interior: Oil Paintings · More Info

My Art for Your Interior: Oil Paintings · More Info

• btydrvn
    6 years ago
    Am I the only one who loves that big graphic chunky rug?..especially with sloppy children using this entrance?...a big graphic piece of art...( or the big round mirror) on the wall to the side...with a couple of chunky coat hooks would do it for me..a strong graphic dramatic feel for a fairly sizeable foyer...maybe painting those doors would be an option as well
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Chevron and trellis are SO last century!!! lol - look for something more enduring and classic rather than faddish. You might have room for a small floating shelf and mirror left of the door to check yourself on the way out.

Youll' need to get the proportions right for your tiny area

Foyer Remodel · More Info

This one holds a few items

Moraga Residence · More Info

This shelf has hooks for purse and hats

Back Bay Condo Renovation · More Info

• stylzes2
    6 years ago

adding glass to the doors will give the space a glam look and appear to be bigger. Also adding a nice mirror and shelf under it with greenery in the corner would be gorgeous

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thoughts on these two mini console tables? I have a large round mirror with a small black frame to hang above.
  • sharonanneblack
    6 years ago

Hi There Jessica:

You've likely already solved your interior design dilemma, but on the off chance you might use more recent suggestions, perhaps for future updates (Or even for different areas of your home.), thought I'd send my ideas along to you. I see a goodly number of folks have weighed in with lots of helpful advice, so not sure if what I have to share has already been covered, but hopefully not. :)

Here goes:

Very nice front foyer but for sure, it needs a bit of fine tweaking. Firstly, I would check what light spectrum your lightbulbs are, as well as what kind or kinds your lighting fixture can safely, and properly accommodate. Not sure, but it appears your lightbulbs belong to the cool spectrum. Either warm spectrum, or daylight spectrum would help enliven your space. Cool spectrum tends to have a more commercial/industrial vibe, and is frequently too off-puttingly crisp in appearance. You know, somewhat too stark, too harsh. Additionally, it will also cause your various finishing materials to, "read," as being cold. This effect lends itself to influencing one to at least psychologically speaking, feel physically uncomfortable, even downright cold.

Speaking of lightbulbs, I have only recently learned LED lighting is harmful to one's eyes and health. Who knew? If interested in exploring this topic more, please see end of message for a direct link to a medical doctor's, "all things lighting," useful web site.

My other suggestions include: As well as introducing a beautiful, bright orange (Not as dark/black colour based, as Hermes, signature orange.), bring in an area rug with a more lively, organic pattern, and somewhat more multicoloured colour way. I totally agree with all of poster Porter Edun's suggestions, and beyond love Edun's accompanying photograph; I've actually saved it for inspirational purposes. (I must confess, I am at a loss as to what name to give to the beautiful blue paint colour on the inside of the front door. This is a little weird as I am rarely stumped when it comes to colour ID. Haha!)

Oh, just had a great thought - if you would like to view some terrific, beyond inspiring use of colour in a residential interior setting, be sure to visit George Washington's Mount Vernon, web site. (Please reference conclusion of this message for a direct link.)

Rather than broadloom, an area rug with exposed flooring around all four sides of it would read better, would be more harmonious and welcoming. If you are not interested in laying hardwood, or some sort of stone tile flooring (Always stay away from smooth, glossy finish tiles as they are a slip and fall hazard for people of all ages, as well as animals. A good choice would be a more textured, semi-matte finish ceramic, porcelain, or travertine tile. Travertine tiles in 2' x 2' size is very attractive. There is also slate flooring; as long as the slate is sealed, and doesn't have any real discernible changes of plane, it can be excellent, too.)

Marmoleum (This company advertises on Houzz.), or cork flooring are both great options. Marmoleum comes in myriad colour ways. In one of its formats, it relies on a plank locking system, and can up the excitement quotient, i.e., visual interest of an interior space through colour blocking. For e.g., with Marmoleum, you could choose two complementary colours such as a clean, pure white combined with a medium rich grey, or even go a bit more dramatic, swapping out the medium grey for a deeper, more dramatic charcoal shade. I would recommend orienting the stripes horizontally, to emphasize the expansiveness of the space.

Were you to opt for cork, there are so many more choices to be had in more recent years. It's also helpful to know cork is very nice, very forgiving to walk on (It's soft and warm even in bare feet.), is highly durable, and ultra-hygienic when properly sealed. Many high traffic institutions such as hospitals, etc., are noted for incorporating cork into their interior design. Same holds for Marmoleum. Both fully deliver when it comes to form and function, and can be easily adapted to residential, or commercial applications.

When incorporating cork in a pattern and in at least two colour ways, i.e., around the perimeter of the flooring, but in a ways from the vertical change(s) of plane, it can be made to beautifully mimic an area rug. It would depend on the actual dimensions of your space, but orienting the pattern 8" in from the edge, or 12" in from the edge could work well.

The preceding description brings to mind something my partner and I have sourced, specified, and installed for at least one client: inside both a front door, and a side door, we incorporated, to-scale, natural stone flooring mosaics. For e.g., in the larger entrance way the mosaic was at least 3' x 3'. The mosaic was centred, it was sealed, and since it was made up of small pieces of travertine it not only resembled an area rug, it also helped guard against slips and falls, particularly in inclement weather when moisture, even snow and ice winds up being tracked in.

The cut, bevelled glass in your front door is very attractive. Why don't you riff off of it whenever you're ready to replace your semi flush mount (or flush mount), lighting fixture (I can't quite discern what precise kind yours is.), choose a lighting fixture that is more in keeping with the style of decorative glass on the front door window.

Something more indicative of the Arts & Crafts Movement, or Mission Style, or even a semi-streamlined chandelier that would provide excellent quality task lighting, while also throwing additional light around the walls and ceiling of the space; refracted light patterning can be very visually interesting. It has the ability to add depth of field, even a sense of texture and unexpected complexity to an interior space. Depending on the kind of lighting fixture chosen, you may have the option of wiring it to a dimmer switch. Being able to easily control light levels is yet another way to create a vastly different ambience via merely operating the slide control on the face of the light switch itself. You could easily do this, all within the same space whenever you would like.

Marmoleum, cork flooring, a dimmer switch, even an area rug, all can be sourced @ competitive price points; none need break the bank. Although, that said, choosing a well made, more expensive rug such a Persian carpet is a good way to go. They are incredibly durable, handcrafted, functional pieces of art. Too, they usually have beautiful, curvilinear patterning with several colour ways all within the same rug.

I am a fellow Canuck who lives in the Kawartha countryside. Just like you, we have an intimate understanding of the kind of wear and tear all manner of flooring materials need to endure in such a changeable, northern clime. We have a 16' Persian carpet runner that is almost 15 years old. It has seen heavy traffic from two White American Shepherds (In succession.), and it continues to provide outstanding performance up against our five large livestock guardian dogs, and two cats. When we bought it, we visited a shop specializing in Persian rugs. It cost $400.00 + tax, and is worth every penny, and then some! At our former 1940s walkup apartment in Toronto, it was situated in our long front hallway. It saw quite a bit of 120 lb. canine carpet surfing! And while it likely sounds quite odd, in our rural home we have it running down the middle of our long, very narrow living room. Hey, for some reason the look actually works, especially as it's married with our eclectic mix of furniture pieces, i.e., mostly vintage, but peppered with more sleek, s/s finish table and floor lamps.

Lastly, I would definitely hang some sort of interesting mirror on the wall to the left of the inside of your front door. For e.g., there are mirrors completely surrounded by shortish pieces of driftwood which provide fantastic visual interest, as well as texture. This style of mirror may well not be your style, but hopefully the idea of it might prove a good, creative jumping off point for you. I would also hang some art on the walls, even on the same wall, the same plane as your front door. If interested in this, be sure to check out some of the beautiful, budget friendly, original art available in your immediate community. Of course, you want to achieve some sort of grouping (Pretty much always go for odd numbers of any kind of decorative item, including framed art, framed art photos, et al. And since there is not a lot of real estate on either interior wall surrounding the door proper, be careful to achieve the right scale - nothing too diminutive, but certainly nothing too outsize, either.

Hope some of what I've shared has been of some help and interest to you. Just remember, besides keeping in mind the basic rules of form and function, your goal is to put your own personal stamp on all of your personal spaces (Both interior and exterior.), to make them sing. And, not to worry, just as Rome wasn't built in a day, often the best approach to feathering one's nest is to create and build it over time. Antique, vintage, collectibles, even good quality secondhand items can provide a space with a more unique visual presence, and vibe.

Even if you're not always exactly sure as to what precisely defines your personal style, if you further explore the world of design magazines (both print and digital), design and build/architectural web sites, even interior and exterior spaces featured in television shows, and in film, plus visit design shows for home and/or cottage, etc., you will get to know what speaks to you the most, what gives you and your family a sense of happiness, calm, and creative, positive self-expression. You are aiming for spaces that best reflect your interests, your passions. In effect, through interior and exterior landscape design, you want to express who you really are. At the end of the day (So to speak.), they truly feed your soul, recharge your batteries because both individually and collectively, they sing. Be a little or a lot bold, don't be afraid of tangibly expressing your individualism. Follow this route and I promise, you will thank yourself for it. :)

All the best with all of your projects,

Sharon Black, Interior Designer and Builder, Paradise Point Repair & Renovation

Here is the lighting web site mentioned above:

How LED Lighting May Compromise Your Health - Dr. Mercola

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/.../near-infrared-led-lighting.asp...

Search Results

Room by Room · George Washington's Mount Vernon

www.mountvernon.org/the-estate-gardens/the.../the-mansion-room-by-room/

• Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I got a new rug and a simple console table and I think its much better. Would appreciate some more advice to finish off this space.
  • Jessica D Ann
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Here is a picture of the starting point and where I am now.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

The console is a nice fit. I think it needs a little bit of accent color. What colors do you have in the rest of the house?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations