Software
Houzz Logo Print
mae1315

teeny backyard ideas - brand new tract home

9 years ago
Hi!

We purchased a home with a narrow lot. Per our HOA, we need to landscape (with professional drawings) in 6 months. We have 2 kids and 2 small dogs. What could be done with this space? Neighbors are spending 30-40k for their tiny spaces, and we only have about 15-20k budgeted for our landscaping. Ideas? First pic is the lot. We have the yellow highlighted space, including the green area. I am also posting a sketch of what could work, but I'm just not sure.

Comments (19)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    You purchased a home and then you were told, after the fact, that you had to follow landscaping rules?

    Did you have a real estate attorney helping you with this purchase? Did he not advise you of the provisions?

    So, what happens if you don’t comply within the 6 months?

    I have never heard of anything so controlling.

    I would put the house on the market and move somewhere in a free zone.




  • 9 years ago
    We knew about the provisions. This is pretty common in Southern California. I wanted advice on what landscaping features (within our budget) would work in this space.
  • 9 years ago

    why don't you consult a landscaper to come out and give you some ideas?

    for the grass for dogs, look into a st augustine or the marathon. (if female dogs, the urine will kill the grass) . try to work in some succulents and decomposed granite for low water and low maintenance. if you do some poured concrete or pavers, great. start look at xeriscape ideas on here to see what you like.

  • 9 years ago

    Start a backyard ideabook to help you refine your ideas. 6 months will go by in a flash and you should have a plan before you start.

    Small-Backyard-Patio-Fire-Pit-Planters-Walls-Project-VIEW-3 · More Info

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Do you have requirement on percentages of plants to hardscape? Types of plants? Heights of plants, Structures?
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the insight! There's a list of plants to use, mostly drought tolerant, California native plants. Plants have to be set back 2 feet from walls. I'm concerned about the double sliding doors facing directly into a brick wall (only 9 feet space between wall and doors ). It's an unsightly view. I started an idea book, and have these ideas so far, but I'm sure they're over my budget.
  • 9 years ago

    I'm sure you want some kind of pathway so you can go out the sliding door to your table area. Since you do have a budget, I think you should call someone, give them your ideas and let them go for it.

  • 9 years ago

    Spend the week collecting photos in your ideabook. (BTW, we cannot see your ideabook, so you've probably got it set to private.) Then find a landscape architect; use reviews on Houzz to interview several and choose one who can work within your parameters. $15 - $20K is plenty to complete an acceptable landscape for such a small space, and you can always include plans for future additions.


    Look for hardscape ideas:

    Sunol Landscape · More Info

    Outdoor color palettes:

    Clinton & Associates | Landscape Architects in Washington DC, Maryland, and Virg · More Info

    Attractive plantings:
    debora carl landscape design · More Info

    Decor:
    Wire Garden Trellis · More Info


    For the area you're not sure of beyond the sliding door, I would simply consider it a walkway to the rest of the yard and make it a pleasant view.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I'm in Orange County! I've just set my idea book to public.
  • 9 years ago

    Me too, Newport Beach.... lots of great nurseries here. Start by browsing places like Green Thumb (Lake Forest), Roger's Gardens ( Newport, Corona Del Mar), & Armstrong Nurseries & many others for ideas when you have time. Also, your budget sounds realistic for a smaller space. What really eats up the $ is hardscape, not the plants. We spent $40k on our small patio last summer.... most of the money for the stonework & lighting, the plants were just a small insignificant expense in comparison.

  • 9 years ago
    Grass for dogs will eventually look bad. Try artificial grass (I know people who have done this successfully' consider cleaning and drainage). I have used larger round smooth river rocks which are also easy to keep clean. Or concrete. But overall, I think it's best to walk your dogs whenever possible - it's really quite gross to have their toilet area so close to the house.
  • 9 years ago

    MA E, also in so cal. I've done the wood slat fence in my own yard. It's pretty simple and if you use redwood and treat it w/a top coat, it looks great (it's under my name under Orchid Wall)

  • 9 years ago

    I think I'd plan to walk the dogs -- agree that an area dedicated to toilet purposes will be wrecked in no time, and they'll be much better citizens if they get some regular exercise.

    Otherwise, 45' of width should be plenty to make into several nice areas. The space in front of the windows can be planters and maybe a wall sculpture, for the view, and/or maybe a bench or fire pit to lure you out. Then the left area could have lots of seating more dedicated to eating out/grilling. The right area could have some water play component -- otherwise, it's a bit small for biking, so really only for playing with cars or balls, unless you want to try to maintain grass, which will be an uphill climb. Or I guess you could fit a swingset or the like. (The less permanent you make things, the easier it will be to update or reclaim the space for another adult function later. Or fill with interesting plantings and a few strings of lights.) I guess the dog area would be fenced? gravel or groundcover, or...?

  • 9 years ago
    here's how it's looming at the moment. view from dining
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    looks like great progress. the corner window/door really opens the room to the yard. Nice.

  • 9 years ago

    We're in SoCal too. Bailey's suggestion of Green Thumb, Roger's Gardens and/or Armstrong is good.

  • 8 years ago
    progress pic! wood slat ipe walls currently being oiled!
  • 8 years ago
    wood slat walls