Software
Houzz Logo Print
erinwhitney13

Help in dating an oak dining set with grass in seat padding

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi there,
I was just given an old oak table with matching chairs. I'm curious to determine the date they may have been made. I have a few clues.

1. The set was owned by my aunt's ex-partner's grandmother. My aunt was born around 1960, but I'm guessing her partner would have been a few years older. With some rough math assuming generations of 20 years, the original owner would have been born around 1920 and married around 1940? That's very rough, considering my own grandmother (my aunt's mother) was born in 1929. No idea if she would have purchased this new, or if she was even the original owner. She was from Nova Scotia, but was one of the early residents of Greenfield Park on the south shore across from Montreal.

2. There is a sticker on the bottom that says "Victoriaville Furniture Co." (Quebec) The only information I was able to find online about the company is in French. It seems to suggest the company was known under that name between 1903 and 1920, when "Ltd." was added. http://www.shgv.ca/archives/Meubles/meuble01.htm

3. The seats of the chairs are covered in leather, with what appears to be a thin layer of grass or straw underneath that retains a greenish colour. (Pardon my dirty fingernails!).

Some more photos:

The table accommodates up to three extra leaves and has a pedestal base to support them that screws on to the underside.

The legs all bolt on.

I'm looking forward to refinishing this for my apartment, but wonder if I could have something of value that would make it worth contacting an antique dealer. I rather doubt it, but you never know!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Top Choice for Reliable Tile & Stone | Franklin County, Ohio
More Discussions