Software
Houzz Logo Print
cmmay

Flooring questions

9 years ago

We are trying to update our mid 80's home. Due to costs, we are redoing one room at a time. We have redone the kitchen and the master bath so far. Now we are moving on to the master bedroom, then 2 living areas, then dining room And finally the upstairs bedroom and bathrooms.


Is it bad to have different flooring types in each room? I have dark wood look porcelain

in my kitchen and light gray porcelain

in masterbath. The kitchen and master bath are not adjacent.


Everyone keeps telling me to go hardwood, however it can be expensive and it scratches (we have big dogs), so I'm hesitant to go wth wood. Plus one of my living areas is oak paneling that we are keeping, so I don't want wood in there because that is too much wood. (We are getting rid of carpeting throughout.)


The master bath and master bedroom are adjacent, so whatever floor goes in the bedrm should compliment the bathroom (light gray tile). But the master bedrm is also adjacent to the living rm with the oak paneling...the room with the paneling is also adjacent to the kitchen with the dark wood look porcelain.


At this point I'm trying to compliment/coordinate with a common color(s) (grays and browns), but is it bad to have so many different textiles in use - porcelain; maybe slate tile; maybe wood or laminate?

I guess I've always grown up with the same flooring throughout most of the house.

Comments (4)