Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_hemberger

House color dilemma

9 years ago

New home. Need to paint. House is currently the yellow color. Current plans are to remove the columns and the shutters. I ran two color ideas through the sherwin williams colorsnap app, a grey color and a dark blue. Which one is preferred or is there a better idea out there? Also looking for front door color ideas. Thanks.

Comments (46)

  • 9 years ago

    What color is the roof? The downspouts from your gutters need to be painted to blend in with the brick and/or moved over to the outside of that roof line. The shutters do need to go, they are to small. What will you be replacing the columns with? Just offhand, I like the first one, but would like the other information first.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Love the house! Agree on removing the shutters and painting the downspouts. I really like what the columns add. Neither the dark gray or blue look right to me. Seems you need something lighter that works better with the brick. With your brick and roof I can't see going wrong with using white and black (for the door)...very classic.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Is there living space in the gable?



  • 9 years ago
    Would the quest grey work better? Not at dark as the grey in the picture you submitted. It appears there is grey in your brick. I just wouldn't go as dark as that. Try that.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Since I like PPF's rendering without the gable, and since I doubt that the gable will be removed, I suggest that you opt for dark grey paint. That will help to visually create a simpler roofline. Definitely agree with deleting the shutters. I think you need to keep the columns. Good luck with your project.

  • 9 years ago

    What about something even darker than that grey? Something closer to the roof color.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    It appears that the demi-lune vents are the real deal and not just decorative. Personally, I think they'd look better if they were rectangular to repeat the shape of the center gable window. I too favor the no-gable look. If there's living space upstairs and you can do a big reno, you might like a big rear dormer instead of the peaked one on the front. Maybe down the road a bit...


    Porch addition · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    The roof is black and new. No living space in the gable but will not be doing that kind of renovation. The columns are not structural and not original to the house. They are quite wide and block the view out of the windows or when sitting on the porch. Love the idea of painting the downspouts. PPF, that color looks interesting.......I will also take a look at a lighter gray. Thanks for the ideas so far.

  • 9 years ago

    Pretty house. I'm in total agreement with removing the shutters and the columns. Give me a bit to try a few colors on the gable. Bbl.

  • 9 years ago
    I think a taupe colour, I like Sandy Hook. Maybe painting columns so they disappear into the background more, think they look fine
  • 9 years ago
    Maybe not as young but oh so talented!!
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you groveraxle. I love it without the columns and with the downspouts painted. I really like #1 and #4.
  • 9 years ago

    Oh so talented, for sure! Amazing as usual, grover...love #1!

  • 9 years ago

    I think #4 looks the most updated and flattering. Great work Grover!

  • 9 years ago

    #4

  • 9 years ago
    Are the columns strictly decorative, or are they possibly structural?
  • 9 years ago
    Groveraxle, could you show me the first picture you did with a black door?
  • 9 years ago

    Light gray gable with black door:


  • 9 years ago
    Unless you are going to actually use the rocking chairs consider removing them. Perhaps two large planters beside the door.
  • 9 years ago

    I love the mid tone gray and blue door-#4 in grover's rendering. To me it just helps the door stand out a bit more where the black seems flat and dark.

  • 9 years ago
    I agree, the black is too dark. I'm torment between the light and medium gray but I like the blue door.
  • 9 years ago
    I like Grover's third photo with the dark gray. It brings more attention to the front door.
  • 9 years ago

    My vote is definitely for the mid tone.

  • 9 years ago

    Here's the light gray with the blue door. This looks nice, too.

    And the medium gray again:


  • 9 years ago

    The medium gray looks too much like a battleship gray to me. Keep it softer.

  • 9 years ago
    Another suggestion. Quest grey(light grey) and a navy blue front door.
  • 9 years ago
    Put on wider shutters, and paint them, the front door, and the arched vents the same yellow as you have on the gable. The roof and the brick are both dark and rather dead, so a lighter colour is needed. Several of the colour choices shown make the place look absolutely gloomy.
  • 9 years ago

    Agree with deco...too battleship.

  • 9 years ago

    No shutters. There isn't room for properly-sized shutters without them taking over the whole front of the house.

  • 9 years ago

    This house has enough going on without shutters which aren't appropriate on the double windows and won't fit properly on the single windows. I think you need to find a door color to fall in love with, but I'd steer clear of red since you have all that red brick.

  • 9 years ago

    A deep teal green can be pretty with red brick. Maybe something like Benjamin Moore Casco Bay.

  • 9 years ago

    I'm liking the Casco Bay!

  • 9 years ago

    I had a similar color on my brick house up north and it's really a pretty combination.

  • 9 years ago

    kat, it's really nice with the brick.

  • 9 years ago

    Casco bay:



  • 9 years ago
    Thank you katinparadise and Grover, I really like it!
  • 9 years ago

    I do too. Especially with the lighter gray.

  • 9 years ago
    I would limewash the brick for a softer look. Agree with BM Sandy Hook Gray for the body and paint the trim BM Lancaster White. A company called Romabio makes the limewash paint in different colors. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I like BM In the midnight hour better than Casco Bay. It's more subdued.

    In the Midnight Hour 1666 | Benjamin Moore · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    The Casco Bay seems a little bright. In the Midnight Hour is very pretty. (Now that song will be in my head all night long!)

  • 8 years ago

    Here is an updated photo. Still have to paint the downspouts.......I love it. Thanks for all the help.

  • 8 years ago

    Eliminating the columns really opened it up! I love the light gray-works really well with your roof.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The gray gable looks great. I'm not too crazy about the door color, though. I'd either go with navy...

    ...or teal:


  • 8 years ago

    Want sophistication, go black. Want traditional, go medium slate gray. Want homey, go hunter green. White is too stark but a light soft gray would look nice and subtle.