Software
Houzz Logo Print
redfieldroad

Time sensitive...Wrong marble tile laid...help!!!!!

9 years ago
How difficult is it to remove the gray tile in here? It is mortered down (or whatever they call it) not grouted (obviously). I'm super sad about it and I feel like the builder is not willing to redo a tile area for me although I'm happy to pay. He's not the easiest

Comments (34)

  • 9 years ago

    Its easy to remove.

  • 9 years ago
    Suz-I don't care about ruining the tile. Does it take a lot of time? I made them remove an entire bathroom floor last week (their mistake).
  • 9 years ago

    They should be able to just pop it up. There isn't much there. I could do it in less than 30 minutes. The time lost is in the layout and cutting they already did.

  • 9 years ago
    So is that a shower floor that is being tiled and if so how did they water proof it?
  • 9 years ago

    It is not hard to remove. I agree with suzyq53 that he's likely more worried about the effort to re-do it than the effort to remove what's there. In my experience they will always push back to protect their margins and their schedules, but my mantra is that I have to live there, they don't. My other experience is that they usually back down if you stand firm.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Where are the fasteners that are supposed to be holding the cement board to the subfloor?

  • 9 years ago

    I think it looks like toilet rough-in, not shower.

  • 9 years ago
    It's a powder bath. Y'all have given me the courage to ask them to pop out the grays and use only the white ones. The box comes in a mix. Thank y'all so much. Building a home is a scary thing.
  • 9 years ago

    Yes. But trust your instincts and keep coming back to Houzz for support.

    I hope your dreams become a reality.

    Best.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Did you buy enough extra tile to be 40% cull rate picky? If not, expect the price to go UP. Way up. You want almost half of the tiles removed. And there is nothing wrong with them at all. Natural stone has natural variations.

  • 9 years ago
    It's from a big box place...Floor and Decor. People pick out certain colors of Carrara tile all the time and fill up a box with the hue they want. It takes time so not easy
  • 9 years ago
    I can pick up an extra box or two and fill with white and bring to the builder no problem. I mean...this is my home I'm going to watch my kids grow up and leave the nest from...I might as well fix it now so it's how I want right?
  • 9 years ago

    Right.

  • 9 years ago

    So you started with seconds and now went to penalize the tile setter. I think you need to jettison the whole thing. Or, come grouting, you're not gonna be happy with the varying grout lines due to the inconsistent sizes. And pay the tilers for all this lost time dealing.

  • 9 years ago
    Why are you so angry Sophie?
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think a homeowner should get what they want, but should pay for it. If the contractor was given this tile to work with, then how could they know which ones to cull and which ones to keep. As long as you are willing to pay for the work done to date, for tearing it out and then for installing new there should be no problem.

  • 9 years ago

    Yes, they will have to pop them all up and start over. Some of the tiles may be okay to use again. I wouldn't count on it. So much better to get the result you want. Its good you realized before it all went in and was grouted. You'll have to agree on the up charge for removal and wasted labor. And make sure to purchase more additional tiles than you'll actually need by about 25%.

  • 9 years ago

    This a powder room, so no shower. Also I've had many problems with shower bases cracking and staining in my rentals.

  • 9 years ago

    So they didn't install the wrong tile, you bought the wrong tile... I would redo it for you, but you would be rescheduled to my next available opening, and of course you would be paying for the labor to tear out and reinstall. I would probably also add a PIA fee.

  • 9 years ago

    PIA fee is short, hating your floor fee is long.

  • 9 years ago
    I did not buy the wrong tile. Builder bought the tile. I just gave a completed floor photo example and a tile name.

    Today I went to the tile store to check the box for grays and they were 99%whites. So, he got an odd ball box. He didn't know enough about the tile to know it was off (also didn't look at the pic).
    I paid for it to be redone. It's my home and my dollar. Problem solved!
  • 9 years ago
    It may look like a subtle difference but it looks tons better to me
  • 9 years ago

    Looking good! Make sure to specify the grout color.

  • 9 years ago

    It does look better. I'm so glad you got it resolved. I'm about to enter the tiling phase of my renovation so you're a good success story for when things inevitably don't go exactly as planned.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    on a herringbone pattern, you should have both sides with equal sized cut tiles. the right side didn't end the same as the left. There is a certain way to start the pattern so you avoid unequal sides. I'm guessing the tile guy doesn't know this? Your tile choice is nice. glad you were able to switch out the darker ones. This is a carrara, yes?

  • 9 years ago

    Looks good. Be sure to post pics when done.

  • 9 years ago
    Beth...you know it's scary when you can't trust your builder or his subs. I don't want to know anything about tile. I don't want to have to look stuff up and research. I WANT to trust that it's done right. It's frustrating.

    Wanna see the fireplace that I made him redo???
  • 9 years ago
    First pic was before the redo. Am I too picky? I know they hate me when they see me pull up!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    red field, i'm the same way. my tile guys were so glad when they finished my job. I hovered. but I know what I want and luckily my guys were really good.

    I don't think you were too picky. that edging seemed a bit off. I'm concerned about the lack of thinset on there though. is the bottom pic what they're doing right now? why does that one edge stick out?

    btw, are these the same guys doing your shower?? I have some serious concerns w/that job.

  • 9 years ago
    I would have been unhappy with that fireplace as well! It looks much better now. Good job sticking with your guns on the things that really matter to you.
  • 9 years ago
    Beth-the second pic has corners that are premade. Builder didn't want to use them the first round so basically just slapped the tile on by the sheet (front...then sides).
  • 9 years ago
    It's like a Monet...looks great from far away
  • 9 years ago

    yes, there are corner piece meant for these ledger stones. what do you mean he didn't want to use them??!! lmao. why not?

    I suppose if it ends up looking like this, you'll be fine.

    wow,,,you are doing the the reno! you've got a lot of posts going on here.