Software
Houzz Logo Print
wicked84

Roof

13 years ago
What is the roof pitch? I know the higher you go, the more expensive...... It looks like the dormer is pretty steep? We love the "drama" of high pitched roofs but not the cost...... This seems to achieve a great balance.
Would love to know the different pitches involved.
Did you wrap the front windows with cast stone or stucco? Would either achieve the same look?
Beautiful home!
Thank you
Amherst Exterior · More Info

Comment (1)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I will have to dig up a plan to get the exact pitch, but I believe that the majority of the roof is an 8 pitch with the tower being a 9 or a 10 pitch.

    Roof pitch is such a personal thing. When I first moved out to Texas, I thought it really looked odd to have a house with so much roof! I am originally from the Arizona where roofs have a pretty low profile. The look as grown on me though and I can appreciate both styles.

    All of the windows and doors on this front elevation are wrapped in cast stone. We will generally use cast stone on all front elevations or on any high profile areas. I do think that you can tell a difference between cast stone, limestone and stucco. Maybe not from afar, but up close I think there is a distinct difference and "feel" to the home.

    That being said, you can get a pretty similar look using stucco and save a considerable amount of money doing so. We actually do this on our side elevations quite often to free up money in the budget for other areas that are more important. If you look closely at this front elevation the "crown" right under the eve is actually stucco.