Software
Houzz Logo Print
solusumbra

Cooling Ideas Needed

9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Our AC unit started to leak water and the landlord told us that we couldn't run the unit under 70F because it would work it to hard and we had it set for 68F. We had tried having it at 70F and it made the upstairs to hot to sleep in. We have since bumped it up to 69F and have been trying to come up with a plan to try to keep the upstairs cooler so we can bump it up one more but have found ourselves stuck. We are allowed to buy and install ceiling fans on our own dime which we wouldn't mind BUT we would have to leave them behind once we move out. We talked about buying AC window units but don't really want that experience and are worried about what our cats would do to them because they loved looking out the window. We talked about getting more floor fans, this way we could take them with us when we leave but the rooms are small and we aren't really sure where to put them. I also suffer from Migraines and can't always stand the sound of them running. Please share some ideas. Thanks

Comments (3)

  • 9 years ago

    Wow thats cold. I agree with your landlord keeping it that cold would make that poor ac unit run constantly and freeze up. My ac is set at 77°f.


    they make indoor ac units that are not in the window, they are more expensive than window units but are portable...i have seen them at home depot before.

  • 9 years ago

    I live in an apt that has one vent for a portable AC in the living room. It will cool things down to about 76F when I set it at 64F. Not the best for someone who likes it cool but thankfully our summers are rather short in the PNW.

    The AC is only usable in one room since it is impossible to vent out of the crank windows in the bedrooms. We use floor fans (which are way, way less noisy than the AC unit) and I also made discreet window inserts (no color except for white may be seen by the neighbors) that utilize white blackout material and light tension rods to reduce sunlight entering the bedrooms by at least 90% which helps keep the rooms cooler along with the floor fans. It makes the rooms rather dark, too, which is a boon for anyone who works night-shifts or retired night-shifters who cannot give up their horrible daytime sleep hours :)

  • 8 years ago

    I guess it's all what you are used to. I grew up in the south with no a/c, so my a/c is set on 82 during the day and 79 at night. I'd freeze to death at 68! In fact, if it gets below 70, I'm putting on long pants and sweaters.

    I suggest buying a few of those wall-mounted fans to put along the wall next to the stairs (I'm assuming the stairs are next to the wall) to blow the cold air upstairs, then one in the hall to blow the air into your room. They don't cost much, $20-25 each.

    Those portable units are great for cooling just one room. My complex gave me one when my a/c was broken, and it cooled the approx. 300 sf of LR/DR & Kitchen very well, but my bathroom was still warm. They are a bit noisy, but no moreso than a window unit.

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert