Software
Houzz Logo Print
roe111

kitchen island alignment help

9 years ago


Hi, I need help with the placement of the island. Should it center under the columns (as it is currently) or be center aligned to the picture window, dining table that will also be there and the kitchen work area? This would mean moving it over to the left about 13 inches. Which is the better alignment? They are coming to finish the install tomorrow!

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago

    What do your plans show?

  • 9 years ago

    If everything else is the same, I'd prefer it centered on the window. Not because I care about that, but I'd prefer a wider walkway on the side with the door. That's assuming all the aisles are of adequate size and all that.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks. The plan had it centered to the opening, currently 49" clearance in each side. If shifted left, the walk space would be 36" on that side.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Is it just the angle of the photo or is your island a significant distance from the rest of the kitchen? If it is, it's not going to be very useable.

  • 9 years ago

    It's a limited space so yes it is. Currently the island is 51" from the corner of the fridge. It is centered left and right and also depth-wise under the beam. It will have a 10" overhang on the dining room side.

  • 9 years ago

    Only 10"? I hope you are all short or have very short legs. That's 5" less than the minimum recommended.

  • 9 years ago

    I can maybe go 11" deep. It needs t look centered under the beam without blocking doorways. Should it move left or stay as is?

  • 9 years ago

    At 10 or 11" for seating don't bother and just make it an island to stand around. You can't sit comfortably on an island that is counter height with only 10" clearance. Ask me how I know.

  • 9 years ago

    roe111, am I right that you're not planning on having hanging lights over the island? Or a pendant over the dining table?

    It needs to look centered under the beam.

    I don't understand why this is a requirement? I agree that functionally how it interacts with the kitchen would be my priority; and I just can't get a sense of that from the photos. Maybe in this case posting the plan might help. Just a thought.

  • 9 years ago

    yes, i was planning to hang pendants on the beam, and the dining table will be right behind it.

  • 9 years ago

  • 9 years ago

    I wish you had posted before this point in your design. The island placement seems very strange -- unusable for the kitchen. It is just simply too far away.

  • 9 years ago

    Thanks for the help! there was previously a knee wall with counter, attached on the left wall, so the island is a big improvement. It is a tertiary prep station.

  • 9 years ago

    It's too far away to be a prep station