Software
Houzz Logo Print
david_taylor

tile backslash spacing

9 years ago
I'm installing a tile backslash and I have it tacked up to see how it looks. It seems that I'm going to have a 1/4 inch gap where the tile ends and the window starts. Would this be a
good place for some kind of boarder, or would shifting the tiles to the right 1/4" and moving the gap to the other end be the way to go?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (29)

  • 9 years ago
    I would focus on making the window area as neat as possible, and move any awkward cuts to cabinet end. How are you terminating the cut ends by the window?
  • 9 years ago
    Thank you for the reply. My plan on termination at the window is to cut the tiles with the same bevel edge as the factory cut.
  • 9 years ago

    When tiling, do your calculations from the center of your space to be tiled. The cuts should be equal on both sides. If one or both sides have exposed edges, you can purchase tile with a finished bullnose edge.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Do not lay out starting with a full tile. You have a deep beveled edge. If you start with the bevel the offset cut under and above will not have the bevel. This looks really bad. If that is a 3x6 tile you only have approx. 2-1/2" to shift. You want all cuts against the end panel and window trim. Use the flat portion of the tile for layout purposes. You don't want the bevel or a portion of it against anything. Ah yes the things they don't show you on TV:)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    move them over to the right. It will also give you a bigger piece on the left side that you have to cut. normally you start in the center so both ends have the same cuts, but in this case, you don't want small slivers next to the window. How will it work out on the other side of the window?

    also, consider doing away w/the glass accent tile.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Center if possible. It is more important to avoid your cuts in the bevel. There will not be any bullnose for the stone you selected. If you need you can use a profile edge but you must cut all the tiles for a consistent edge. Even then it's not a good look. Do you have a open end that requires a finish detail? If so I'll provide a option.

  • 9 years ago
    your counter is ahhhhmazing and I think this backsplash takes away from it.. I think a glass tile or a matte tile would look awesome.. this stone looks too pink and distracts from your awesome counter.
  • 9 years ago
    The last think I want to do is draw away from the granite; I want it to be the centerpiece.
    Would it be better to just go with paint? Maybe a different tile with no accent?
    Thanks everyone for the assistance, this is the area where I have zero competence.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    david, would you mind posting a pic of the entire counter w/the sink and window? and maybe another pic showing the entire kitchen w/the cabs and flooring?

    this might be better. Is your counter Rainforest Brown?

  • 9 years ago

    Don't use ANY of that tile. It completely clashes with the granite.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I agree with some of the other comments that the backsplash should be dead plain, so the granite is the star. If doable, I suggest replacing all of the tiles on the backsplash with a dead plain off-white tile and using the metal scroll border as a transition between it and granite top, something like the samples I've attached. A second idea is the "pebble" and chip tiles for the backsplash. Even though this tile may sound too busy for the granite, I don't think so. In fact, I think it blends beautifully and enhances the granite countertop while making it unique and very interesting. Good luck, David.

  • 9 years ago
    The granite is called Autumn Leaf.
    I'm going to take everyone's advice, and go with plain. The tiles are just hold with some temporary brad nails at the moment, so they are very easy and quick to remove.
  • 9 years ago

    Sounds like a great decision, David. You will be so much happier with the results.

  • 9 years ago
    Here are some additional pictures.
  • 9 years ago
    All this advice is greatly incredibley helpful!
  • 9 years ago

    Why is the glass tile detail not at a consistent height? It's 4 tiles high on one wall and 5 tiles high on the other.

  • 9 years ago
    I was experiencing with different glass tile heights to see which looked better; it's only temporarily tacked to the wall. I am very poor at picturing this kind of thing, so I need to use the trial and error method.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would use a lighter simpler tile. It appears that you are not an experienced tile person and you are picking a tile that is not that easy to use because of the bevels. At the least delete the glass border it will date your job if it isn't already dated. Glass mosaics are played out.

    When you grout beveled tile it also takes a smile hand as the bevels pack with grout and you have to be able to leave a uniform amount in the gap vs filling the bevel.

    let those wood cabinets be the star and tone down the backsplash.

  • 9 years ago
    I agree with using another tile however if you were going to use the tile I would have cheated and spaced 1/4 inch plus what a 1/16 or so. Never would notice the difference in grout width.
  • 9 years ago

    I know it's not on trend, but I would go even more simple than these recommendations and do a back-painted glass. I prefer that backsplash in kitchens where there isn't a lot of space to appreciate tile detail or with very unique countertops.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    some other tile options. these are from tilebar.com. Loft-sage,,2x8 glass.

    also tilebar..4x12 in an ivory.

    home depot. the top one has the glazed edges.

    also tilebar,,,,brick tiles,,,this brick tile comes in other shades.

    https://tilebar.com/cadenza-willow-creek.html

    `something a little more masculine in a carbon color.. modwalls,,chevron pattern. they also have this ceramic tile in other colors, including a beige.

  • 9 years ago
    These are some amazing ideas that I hadn't considered. Thank you very much.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Golden/bronze penny tiles would be amazing!!

    so many different shades and colors to choose from..deep shiny bronze that matches your granite would be a show stopper!

  • 9 years ago

    HIwE, good point. David, the bronze or copper tiles could also work. I would hope you have under cabinet lighting to begin with. these would really shine and enhance your countertop.


    copper lantern/arabesque tiles


    golden bronze mesh tiles

    or a larger format bronze metallic tile

    even the glass metallic from HD

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Penny tiles are so easy to install too! Come on mesh sheets easy to cut.

  • 9 years ago


    Japanese Inspired Remodel in Noe Valley-Kitchen · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    That's a great color w/those cabs tetheridge. David, back-painted glass is another option. It's usually seen in more contemporary type kitchens, but it will work in one like yours. It's not a DIY thing since the glass needs to be cut exactly to fit your cabinets. They also paint the backs w/a special glass paint (otherwise it won't adhere properly). These are all great options for you. let us know what you decide.

  • 9 years ago
    Because granite is a "busy" stone, I would choose a simple subway or small square tile which matches one of the lighter colors in the granite.