Software
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman

KAW Q? Spareribs...

So I got this wild bug in my ear to cook spare ribs.
It all started with a coupon from BJ's.
I needed cat litter, and at $9.99 for 40 lbs? What's a girl to do but clutch that spare rib coupon in her sweaty little hand (96F outside, really sweaty) and go buy cat littler.

And this massive rack of spare ribs.

The thing is, I have no idea how to cook them. I had them once and they were so intensely meaty and delicious, I decided I, too, could create that flavor. I could ask the chef/guy who prepared these ribs. I know where he is. But the (1st) problem is that he's a total jack ass and I won't give him the satisfaction. Talk about a waddling man part on fat little feet! That's him.

Problem (#2): Every recipe I find has them slathered in some kind of BBQ sauce. Even searching for "oven roasted" had bbq sauce ingredients sneaked in there.

So I came to where I know the experts I can trust!
Anyone with a delicious recipe not including BBQ sauce? I'd appreciate it if you'd share before I end up with a spoiled sack-o-nasties in my fridge.

Thank you!

Comments (35)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    My mom used to bake them over sauerkraut. They are very good that way, even if you hate sauerkraut and don't eat that part.

    ETA I would look for recipes for baked ribs, not oven-roasted.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    This is the Food.com recipe I use for indoor ribs. It is basic, bbq sauce isn't added until the very end, and I omit the BBQ sauce because I am allergic to tomatoes. Instead, I finish them in a mixture of Bonne Maman apricot jam, mustard, and apple cider vinegar at the end. Sounds gross, but tastes great. You needn't use any sauce, just make sure to season the ribs well.

    I know this is not a sparerib recipe, but I'm trying the momofuku pork shoulder recipe this weekend....

  • 9 years ago

    Ok! eam44, let me know how that comes out?
    "Baked ribs" it is. I do hate sauerkraut, but love cabbage. Maybe there's a compromise in there!

  • 9 years ago

    I use a dry rub of salt and pepper with cayenne and dry mustard on mine, baked in the oven at low heat- maybe 300 degrees until tender. I serve that with BBQ sauce on the side, which nobody really wants at my house.

  • 9 years ago

    OMG eam44, that recipe doesn't sound gross at all to me. I am trying that next time.

  • 9 years ago

    I do one similar to Rita. A cross btw my dads and a mark bittman dry rub and a little improv. Dry rub over low heat is the way to go.

  • 9 years ago

    I've used a recipe very much like eam posted. I like to add a little ground coriander and tiny bit of allspice.

  • 9 years ago

    Here is how I make ribs - (I'm not a big fan of ribs, but my husband would eat these at least every week if I would make them that often. ;) )

    First, remove the membrane from the back of the ribs. I score it with a knife and then pull it off. I put on a dry rub of 3 T. brown sugar, 1 t. garlic powder and 1.5 T. each of paprika, salt and pepper. Rub it in well. I wrap the ribs in a couple layers of foil and place on a sheet pan. Bake in the oven at 350 (maybe 300?) for 2-3 hours, longer is better with spareribs. I broil them with sauce after that, but you can leave them naked if you want.

    I hope they turn out well, however you make them!

  • 9 years ago

    I use this recipe that was featured in Men's Health magazine. It's called Dr. Pepper ribs: http://www.food.com/recipe/dr-pepper-ribs-410292

  • 9 years ago

    I think Kate and I use the same method/recipe. I found it online and have good results with it:


    Cooking Channel Dry Rub Ribs

  • 9 years ago

    I haven't tried it but this recipe is simple and has good reviews. Read the reviews for ideas on adapting to the oven, etc.

    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/25476/spareribs-with-savory-sage-rub/

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Kate, that is almost verbatim the Food.com recipe, and townlake's is similar too, so are Rita's and barn's, which means, I think, that there's something to it.

    Rita, let me know how you like the sauce!

    ce, let us know how it goes.

  • 9 years ago

    Just a quick poll: how many of us made spareribs for dinner tonight? I did.

  • 9 years ago

    Lol. That's hilarious, eam!

  • 9 years ago

    I've given up meat. :(

  • 9 years ago

    I am away from home until the middle of September. I will make the ribs as soon as I get back!

  • 9 years ago

    Cpartist, I did that once. For almost 10 years. Nothing ethical about it, just doing the 90s no-fat thing. (According to the dietician, that's why I developed the waistline/belly I couldn't lose: The no-fat belly of the 90s.)
    Then I regained my sanity and started enjoying the creative cooking aspect of my life again. Or maybe the cavewoman aspect. People used to pay my father with 1/2 a cow, which in the midwest farm country is currency. Welllllll PAY ME!

    I like to eat. Steak is a part of how i was raised and now I just go with it.

    And now I'm gonna try ribs. The sage thing sounds savory and nummy. NomNOMMON nomNOMnom ("nomnom," she whispered as she wandered away towards the kitchen.)

  • 9 years ago

    BTW, all my rib-pros. Do I really have to pull some membrane thing off these ribs? That's horrifying and disgusting, just like the fascia surrounding chicken meat. Can't I just beat them on a rock or something to tenderize it? Maybe run back and forth over it with my truck?

    They remove some membrainy thing off the ribs at work and I can't look. I can fix a turkey without blinking, but that membrain thing...
    Do I need to give these ribs to the German Shepard puppy next door? I'm sure he'd look at this membrane thing as .. well, just meat gum.

  • 9 years ago

    I always cook ribs on my smoker, which means low and slow. 225 or so for 5 hours, sometimes longer. I rub with yellow mustard and then a generous spice rub and brown sugar. Pork is the only meat I like with a hint of sweetness.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Ribs go on a grill or smoker! For about 6 hours. Low and slow. After a dry rub, and maybe a brining if you have even more time. Yes, the yucky membrane needs to go.

    If you don't like traditional bar-b-que sauce, try soy sauce, ginger, pineapple juice concentrate, a pinch of cayenne, and a bit of vinegar to cut the sweetness some. While the ribs are resting wrapped in aluminum foil, turn up the grill and put on sliced pineapple and sliced onions, double skewered, so they don't slip. Baste with the sauce the last 10 minutes and serve with the ribs.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I'm a retired attorney, so when they told me to pull the membrane, I pulled the membrane. OK, now I'm sick from typing 'that word' twice. I have a vague recall of not doing 'that' and not really noticing any difference.

    Resist. Ignore that part. Then report back. The best would be to do half and half, wouldn't it? A control. Also, your truck method on another piece. I'd love to see that recipe.

    INGREDIENTS:

    Chevy Silverado

  • 9 years ago

    You do not have to remove the membrane! Funny how we all have different things that just wig us out. I can't stand dispatching whole poultry, but I've become used to the whole rib thing.

  • 9 years ago

    writersblock comment about baking ribs over sauerkraut reminded me of "rib wars" when I was growing up.

    My German mom always wanted ribs over sauerkraut. My Irish dad always wanted "Irish turkey" which was two slabs of ribs baked with dressing/stuffing in between the slabs (one slab inverted over the other). I guess that for my dad, growing up in the 20's in Iowa led to cheaper pork than turkeys. So as a family we got to have both (never at the same meal though) which of course was the best outcome.

  • 9 years ago

    We had them with the stuffing, too, mtnfever. I'd forgotten about that. Not sure why, because I loved stuffing and hated sauerkraut.

  • 9 years ago

    Team sauerkraut here. My half German mom did ribs that way. When done properly, the meat is juicy and falling off the bones and the kraut is cooked down, browned and flavorful from the meat, no longer "sour". Heavenly with mashed potatoes and milk gravy.

  • 9 years ago

    Hope we get a report back as to whether your next door dog liked the ribs.

    I made them last night, using this method, and a thrown together dry rub. Also, omitted the broiler finish, but started by baking the rubbed ribs 10 minutes on each side in a 450° oven. Yes, pulled the you know what and covered both sides with the spice rub.


    Crockpit ribs

  • 9 years ago

    I am cooking my ribs now.
    I used this recipe from AllRecipes.com. It's dominate ingredient is .. sage! :)

    I'll keep you posted. I just wish I had some cabbage! :)

    Not sauerkraut, though. Not that.




  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    For your next time or for anyone else. From Franklin's, the best bbq anywhere. The line begins to form at 4am.

  • 9 years ago

    And Part 2-

  • 9 years ago

    So I cooked 'em. With frazestart's recipe, as I mentioned above. With about an hour left of 4 hours at 250F, I felt they were tough. So I added water covered 'em and did the final hour. I actually turned them off went to bed, so they cooked that final covered hour and .. um .. "rested" until I got up.

    Well, they're very tender. Boy are those babies greasy! I'm grateful I know this because most cooked out, but ew. The flavor is reminiscent of a pork roast, which is cool but kinda boring. I don't have to touch them to eat them because they are that tender now. I don't like to touch my food.

    It turned out there were two racks in that bag, so I'll be chowing on ribs for a while. I might even add, oh, say, a little BBQ sauce.

    I'm wondering if that intense meat flavor I am looking to replicate are SHORT not spare ribs?

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Oh jeez, there's no comparison between the two. Short ribs are not cooked the same way as spareribs; they are not generally cooked on the grill. Had you possibly eaten a smoked pork shoulder? Why were you looking for a recipe without BBQ sauce?

    Instead of trying to replicate a recipe when you're uncertain of the cut of meat (was it even pork? Short ribs are usually beef) perhaps you should just look for (and follow) recipes that sound good to you, that you can eat with a fork. Just so you know, short ribs are FATTY, although the finished dish should not be.

    Also, even though this dude was a tool (fool?) you could just ask him what he served you, tell him that you enjoyed it (not him - see the difference?) and ask him for the recipe. It only hurts once. Think of all the membrane pulling, fatty meat touching that one ask will save you.

  • 9 years ago

    What I just cooked were Spare Ribs, or so the label claimed. (No m.....brain pulling. Evidently I'm a rebel that way.)

    I don't know where he is, but I'm sure I could find him. I do think they were short, becuz they were beef. Over mashed potatoes with some kind of an almost demi-glace over them. Nummy.

    My spare ribs will make nice meals. You just reminded me to bring home some mashed taties!

    Tool. He was a complete tool.

  • 9 years ago

    Late to the party here, but as much as I like pork ribs (baby back to be specific), I love, love, love beef ribs!

    I finally got the time/temp down for the baby backs, and now I can't find my notes. Or maybe I forgot to make notes. Idiot.

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Well this is a Bon Appétit slideshow on 11 ways to cook short ribs. The wine recipe is classic French cuisine, but the gremolata recipe from my last post is just so easy and looks delish. Play around with it and let us know how it goes!

0