Software
Houzz Logo Print
jw1951

Kitchen back splash

9 years ago

So I'm on the last leg of my kitchen remodel and have a couple of back splashes to choose from. Would like some opinions. My cabinets are Polar White. The countertop is Cosmos Black leathered granite. Thanks in advance.


8


Comments (134)

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago


    I found a pic of the Cadenza-Salt installed. you could also place these vertically, or stacked on top of each other.

    I'm not big on the glass mosaic you posted. Is it the same as this one?.

    If you want the white glass, go to the link I posted above at discount glass tile store.

    Jan, it seems like you keep going back to the same thing. if that's what you want, get it, and the rest of us will stop wasting our time suggesting tiles for you. Everyone has posted pics and you don't make any comments about it, you just post a pic and say, "what about this one". At least give us all some feedback.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I would say only all white tiles ... any shape arabesque , hand made subway tiles , small brick even glass but NO marble

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Your kitchen is lovely, but your floors are quite busy, and the granite is quite busy too. Do NOT get a busy backsplash! Keep it simple; you'll never regret that!
    Also I happen to believe those narrow glass mosaic tiles are going to look pretty dated pretty soon. JMO.

  • 9 years ago
    Beth, I'm sorry I haven't responded as much as maybe I should've. I have a lot I'm trying to deal with by myself. I certainly don't want to waste anyone's time. I really do appreciate all the responses. I am just so up in the air about this and am still hoping to see one that when I see it, I can say, that's the one. Not so sure that's going to happen. I know that I don't want rustic and nothing very busy. I guess the style I've been posting is too busy. Maybe I need to just get 2x8 or 2x12 glass. That may be busy also. Again, I'm sorry.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Jan, I understand. that's all you had to say. sometimes we post on here and never hear back or never know if we are even in the ballpark. I don't mind helping, as do others, so just let us know.

    this one is similar, just so you can see what a marble mosaic looks like

    DuPont Circle · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    Beth, thanks for understanding. I hope others do too. I guess the Mosaics might be too busy. What do you think about 2x8 or 2x12 staggered?
  • 9 years ago
    Beth, what is that back splash in the last picture with the black countertops? Very pretty. My countertops have quite a bit of mica.
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    that's a carrara,,,a very good quality, white carrara. you could do that in 3x12 offset pattern like shown.

    look at some of these subway tile options

    http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/subway-tile.html

    or this one would look very nice. I don't think it's busy because it's the same colors as your stone.

    or in all white
    http://www.thebuilderdepot.com/cvhchevmulti.html

    larger white lantern shapes too

  • 9 years ago
    Of Beth H.'s 4 K pics, I like bksplsh in one w/ large dark island best. Of 3 samples just above, as I said early in this thread, I like Arabesque. I also like beveled edges, whether tile or glass. So I love the white beveled Arabesque. I also like two-tone herringbone in middle. It offers variation in smooth & textured finshes, as well as color & pattern.
  • 9 years ago

    bruce, 4K ? lmao. ok, yeah,,i go crazy w/the photos. there's just so many to choose from besides white subway! so sick of white subway. People get a little carried away when you mention a little pattern or shapes. It's not like I'm suggesting purple plaid and orange stripes.

  • 9 years ago
    I meant 4 kitchen pics. I used upper case K for abbreviation.
  • 9 years ago
    I like the white!
  • 9 years ago
    Beth, I thought that looked like marble. it's very pretty with the black countertops. I think someone here said I probably shouldn't use marble.
    I'm not so sure I want to put darker color back splash as my kitchen is rather small. I would like to keep on the lighter side.
  • 9 years ago

    Village Tile LLC said no marble. There's rule of thumb that says don't mix two stones, i.e. granite & marble. The overarching rule is that it's your money so you rule. The rest are guidelines.

  • 9 years ago
    Bruce, is that black countertop in the picture above, granite or marble?
  • 9 years ago

    Jan, you seem to me to be a bit all over the place with your choices. I get the sense you are overwhelmed. Here's a suggestion: paint the area with a washable paint, and just live with it for a while. Maybe in six months you'll have a better sense of what you'd like. Better than choosing too quickly and regretting it. Lots of backsplash regrets here on Houzz....

  • 9 years ago

    Jan, those pics were posted by Beth H. and I don't know her source, hence don't know the answer. My guesses are the one against the wall w/ teapot is quartz and on the island granite. The other against the wall I'm not sure.

  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Bruce.
  • 9 years ago

    I think a herringbone or the Chevron style Beth H. posted would look great. In either a light gray or white tile. I found some looks worth considering.

    12"x12" Grayish White Herringbone Pattern Honed Marble Mosaic Tile, Single Sheet · More Info

    Laurelhurst · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    Here's Beth H.'s & Luke's herringbone tiles. Beth's white Arabesque was at too much of an angle to try. Luke's herringbone picks up a yellow-greenish hue to me against the countertop. Beth's looks like a perfect color tone match, IMHO.

  • 9 years ago
    You need a backsplash behind the stove and the sink. Finish. Game over.
  • 9 years ago

    The one on the left!

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Jan, the 4th pic above w/the large, black island (Cosmos granite), the backsplash is carrara. The arabesque one above is a ceramic. if you like that shape, you can get it in Thassos white marble.
    this thassos comes in a chevron, a herringbone or subway tiles.

    I think this is the one I like the best. it's white thassos and carrara (the darker part is the carrara)

    It's beautiful and is just enough contrast to make it interesting, not busy. you can check around for different vendors,. Floor and Decor has some similar tiles. (just be aware that their marble isn't always the best quality. lesser quality marble can yellow/rust, especially if in a wet area). since you don't have a large space to do, spend the extra money for good quality stone. tilebar.com also has thassos and carrara sheets.

    I found this one for a decent price http://www.tilecircle.com/moroccan-mosaic-tile-carrara-thassos-marble-8-74-x-8-94/



  • 9 years ago
    Beth, I do like the picture you posted with the Cosmos Black granite island. Though it looks like for the most part, the marble isn't up against the black. The hard part of not being able to see the quality marble in a store near me and buying it on line is there may be too much grey in it for my liking. Some here have said it would be too busy for my granite. So this is why I'm a bit confused.
    ( Finally had the hardware put on yesterday). Now I need the dishwasher and back splash then it will be done!!
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Jan, I've posted as many pics as I can to show you what it will look like. Your granite isn't particularly busy. I would advise against multi colored linear glass, or super small mosaics. A white subway still has a pattern! If the tiles go across, or up and down, not a big difference.

    If you buy tile from a reputable source, it will be fine. order 1 sheet so you can see what it looks like before committing to a whole order. tilebar will send you 5 samples for 5 bucks. The Builder Depot has good quality marble. So does tilebar. Try ordering some of the carrara and Thassos sheets and see how you like them. Stick w/the solid white if you feel more comfortable. I like the thassos or the Cadenza line on tilebar.

    I forgot you had that busy brown tile flooring. sure wish you had gotten a nice black slate or a gray wood tile instead of that brown.

    I think a white tile w/a charcoal grout would work out best. You could do a larger tile than this one, but I like the contrast to play w/your black countertop. Imagine the blue herringbone size in the picture above, in white, with a dark gray/black grout.

  • 9 years ago
    Beth, I do like a bit of the grey veining in the marble. I will probably order the samples if I can't fine a better tile place near me. Thanks or all of your help!
  • 9 years ago
    Beth, I think I need to step back away from back splash for awhile. As far as the floor goes, it's kind of a mute point as it is what it is. Unfortunately, not having any experience at all, I had the floor picked out first. I didn't want grey or darker color as when I replace the flooring in the rest of the house, which is next, it's not going to be darker colors. When I went looking for the countertop, I was with someone that is in the interior decorating field and has done many kitchens. I did take a sample of my flooring and a sample cabinet door. The very first tile I posted was picked by her. I just thought it was going to be a bit busy and dark for my taste though it has all the colors in my granite. She is on other jobs right now. I really do appreciate all of the postings here. Opinions are abundant and that's what's nice and makes the world go around. My taste is I really want a back splash that doesn't scream " look at me". So my quest will continue after stepping away.
    To everyone else that has posted numerous pictures and posts, I really do appreciate all of them. At least I wasn't made to feel " stupid" with my questions. I know most are probably frustrated with my indecisiveness. For that I apologize. Again thank you all.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Take your time — and trust your instincts.

  • 9 years ago

    Sounds like an excellent plan

  • 9 years ago

    no problem Jan. sorry if I've overwhelmed you. Once you have everything in and you're settled, you'll be better able to tell what you need. the kitchen really is very pretty so anything you do will only enhance it. don't fret over it. It's really a minor issue in the big scheme of things.

  • 9 years ago
    Beth, you haven't overwhelmed me. This whole remodeling process has been overwhelming. I was happy to see the pictures that were posted. I really just don't like unfinished things but........it'll have to be that way at least for a short while.
  • 9 years ago
    Jan you haven't been frustrating and there's no need to apologize. I think you are really smart to step back. Making a decision when you feel overwhelmed and exhausted by it all will almost invariably lead to a decision that won't work out well for you in the long run. Nothing bad will come of not having a backsplash right away :).
  • 9 years ago

    Jan, your counters (and the rest of your kitchen) are beautiful! I agree with just waiting on the backsplash. No need to hurry to make a decision that you might not be happy with. Your kitchen is similar in the general look to mine. I ended up getting sheets of glass (not tiles) for my backsplash. I hate subway tile, and small mosaic, and that arabesque look. Didn't leave me much else! We had it back painted in silver metallic, and it looks great, doesn't fight with anything else in the kitchen or detract from anything else. Be sure to post photos if/when you decide to do the backsplash!

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you lwfromny.
  • 9 years ago
    Thanks Sue McGrath.
  • 9 years ago

    We did soapstone subway's. A little different but really nice.

    http://www.soapstones.com/soapstone-subway-tile/


  • 8 years ago

    Jan, can you post a few photos of what you used and how it turned out? All this fantastic advice and now we want to see! I'm sure it's gorgeous!

  • 8 years ago
    Laura Mac, yes I will reluctantly post a few pictures. The reason I say reluctantly is the backsplash is not high end but what fit into my budget. It also is probably not the right one just like my flooring is probably not the right floor. I'm glad it's finely done. The backsplash is Royal Satin White Marble.
  • 8 years ago
    You have a gorgeous kitchen, I love the look of the painted back glass backsplash, either in white or black. Adore the one with the wharf, I'd never get sick of it, more likely I would with maybe a white tile, but that's me, it may seem too modern, then again I like taking risks lol
  • 8 years ago
    Whoops posted before I notice your pics. It looks lovely, well done
  • 8 years ago

    OMG stop with the being embarrassed about your kitchen and it not being "high" end. Girlfriend your kitchen is FABULOUS!!!!!! I really love what you ended up with. I think everything goes really well together. You have a kitchen many, many, many people will drool over. Be proud of it.

  • 8 years ago

    It turned out great! Glad you went with the marble!

  • 8 years ago

    Jan it's BEAUTIFUL! Marble was the way to go for sure! Classic and high end! Love it!

  • 8 years ago
    A kitchen doesn't have to cost a lot to be beautiful. Congrats!
  • 8 years ago

    Jan, checking back. 'u done good girl" ! lol. really, it turned out well. very nice pick.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for your nice compliments. I'm going to try to get a little bit wider shot of the kitchen tomorrow and post it. Oh, and Beth H., thanks!! Also thank you all for giving me so much help, suggestions and pictures when I was trying to decide on the backsplash.
  • 8 years ago
    Can’t believe you would hesitate to post pictures! The kitchen is beautiful and the backsplash is AWESOME.
  • 8 years ago
    These are a few wider shots of the kitchen. It's not big but it's functional.
  • 8 years ago
    Love it. The cornice over the window is beautiful and I love that you took the backsplash all the way up around the window. Such a nice job.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks, lwfromny!