Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ain_ash_shams

Four Winds Grower

Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Couple of weeks ago I posted about my Cara cara from FW with yellow leaves and just no new growth. Looked not the best when it came but missed it to inform then and just thought with shipping stress, just will get better. Well the get better part is still not happening. So I send the an e-mail about this ( really did not expect anything as I was late to let them know and you all know how easy it is to kill a tree) letting them know what I did and my concerns. They will make a note to my account and if the tree does not make the transition, will replace it. this really made me happy and reminded me why I buy from them. Great customer service.

and here with her sister

so much new growth and made me really happy, here is close up. still putting out new growth ecen it is only in the high sixties

Comments (19)

• Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
    6 years ago

Well, I am not so happy with FW. I got a sickly New Zealand Lemonade tree with yellowish leaves in March which they said was due to their weather and that it would be fine. Since then it has lost about 75% of its leaves and has not put out any new growth. So I emailed them recently and asked for a new tree and they said OK but they had none in stock. Then someone on this forum posted that they had them in stock so I called FW immediately. They said sorry, they are all gone. What pisses me off is that they did not put one aside for me. That is NOT good customer service!

• Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Very sorry to hear. What is going on with those yellow leafs? I mean this tree did not do anything just getting more yellow. Somebody said the roots must be working or it would have dried up. So, what is the problem?

• Lauren Stephens
    6 years ago

Susanne, im glad they are going to replace it. Mine has done the same thing. Get yellower and yellow but they did replace mine as soon as i sent them the pic as you advised me to do. Thank you so much. Im new and didnt know to do so. I recently ordered a gold nugget. I hope it is ok. I was wondering the same thing. Why do they look like that? And get more and more yellow. Vladimir, im sorry they didnt send you a replacement. I belive if it were me i would send a email about that and tell them about that.

6 years ago

Lauren I did send them an email today. They have not replied, which is understandable, it being Saturday.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

I have my bouquet de fleurs that is still light, but not yellow. I keep taking care of it and hope it will darken up soon. My kishu from them is certainly not prospering, but not dying either. However, some of my other trees from them - especially the lemons are doing exceptionally well and looked great when I got them.

• Lauren Stephens
    6 years ago

Vladimir, it is understandable. Hopefully they will fix it somehow, maybe they will have more soon. One should of deffinatley been put aside for you. I would be upset also.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Laura I got my Gold nugget last week and although some tips are black (probably heat in transit) and will fall off, the tree looks very nice. So does the Trovita. Fukushu looks nice too even with that little root ball. But does not worry me. Getting another tree next week and see how that will look like.

6 years ago

Susanne, you poor thing, sounds like you got that citrus bug pretty bad. How many trees do you have now?

I'm up to 64 and I only started less than 2 years ago. I will have to get rid of some of my duplicate seedlings because they won't fit into my greenhouse. I'm still not sure how I will get them all in there. I built the greenhouse because my wife wanted me to get the trees out of the house. I hope she will let me bring some back into the house.

Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6 thanked Vladimir (Zone 5b Massachusetts)
  • Laura LaRosa (7b)
    6 years ago

She's got the bug badly like us Vlad! I've lost count, but have been steadily potting up my smaller trees for work winter. Bringing them in should be interesting this year ;-)

Susanne Michigan Zone 5/6 thanked Laura LaRosa (7b)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yup, bad. I have about close to 30 but not counting my seedlings. My Limona Rossa just peaked out of the soils yesterday. two so far out from six. Winter will be interesting thats fro sure ;)

• Lauren Stephens
    6 years ago

Vladimir, 64 wow! Nice. You must have a greenhouse. Susanne, 30 how do you fit them inside. I just completley emptied my spare bedroom to convert it into a citrus room yesterday. Lol. My husband looked at me and said you may have a problem. Lol. i hope it is ok, i ordered the oldest one. Now i want a NZL, but i got there too late:( what are you getting next week? Please enable me. Hahaha

Original Author
    6 years ago

Lauren I'm getting a grapefruit tree. Will be the rio red first because that is what they had. When the three year old ruby becomes available next year will add that too. I will just try couple of different varieties and see which will grow best for me. I was just imspiered by the many health benefits of grapefruit.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

I started 5 years ago and I am up to 7 trees that are at least 1 year old and I have 5 seedling Meiwa kumquat of 7 months age and a grafted Fukushu about 1 month old. I am overwhelmed.

Vlad Graft a bud from your NZL to one of your seedling trees or rootstock. If you have none then plant a tangerine seed any you will have graft able seedling trees in 4-6 months. I am backing all my trees with grating from them. I will be giving some away to a friend and I will have a well feed happy friend and available future grafting material should mine die.

Steve

6 years ago

Steve, grafting a bud is a good idea, I have a couple of flying dragons I could use. Is it too late in the season to graft?

Original Author
    6 years ago

where to get some flying dragon? best from seeds?

• Lauren Stephens
    6 years ago

Grapefruit is very good for you. Most of what i get at the store is bitter so i got a ruby red (i think) from lowes on sale it was pitiful but now it beautiful and grows so fast! I bet you will enjoy it. How long do you give your 3-4 yr old trees from FW before you let them fruit or before they fruit in general?

Original Author
    6 years ago

Very helpful info, thank you Silica.

Lauren I have no idea how the tree will look like when it comes here but I think if it will bloom next year, will let one fruit on the tree. (maybe)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    6 years ago

Vlad give your FD a good feeding and graft in 5 days.