Software
Houzz Logo Print
stephnagel

entry hall

13 years ago
How wide does a hallway need to be in order to place a console table? My front entry is long and narrow & uninviting (it's 40.5" wide). I know I want to put a runner & possibly a mirror to brighten things up, but I'd love to also have a narrow console table. Is there any rule for a minimum width?

Comments (25)

  • 13 years ago
    Here's a photo
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    what is the width of the space? it appears to be about 30" - 36" from the photo, which would be way too narrow for a console.
  • 13 years ago
    It's 40 1/2 " wide.
  • 13 years ago
    I think that is still to narrow to add a table ... it would just end up making the spae feel even move long and narrow.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Brenda...You're probably right. I just thought there might be a rule to follow. I'll just start w/ rug & pictures, etc. Just got done painting today.
  • 13 years ago
    Lighting would help. If it isn't possible for you to add fixtures, you might look towards something as simple as flameless candle sconces.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    No rules to follow really. Many of top designers are now blogging about breaking the rules & doing what works, feels good. Go online & look at various console tables, select ones you like & see what measurements are. They come in a variety of widths.

    I am not sure the end result will be what you are hoping for, but nothing to stop you.

    What you need is a way to make the narrow hallway appear wider. Check out Houzz idea books & google how to widen hallways with art, paint????? and see what comes up. If I find something I will share it with you as I know I have see ideas, just have to find.
  • 13 years ago
    @ Sharon Charboneau...thank you. I did find an 8" deep console that may work, although it's a little on the modern side. I picked a light color for the walls & was thinking of a mirror (either over a narrow console or alone). Would appreciate any ideas you find.
  • 13 years ago
    @ carolins...thank you. I like the idea of having paper down & seeing how easy it would be to travel around. I'll do that tonight!
  • 13 years ago
    @ studio 10001...I agree lighting would help. However, I did take the picture @ night with the hallway/entry light off. The sidelight windows @ the front door brightens it a little bit during the day. Thinking I would add a buffet lamp to a narrow console if I decide that will work. Going to tape some paper down as carolins suggested & live with for a few days. Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    How about taking out the wall to open the space up to the living room?
  • 13 years ago
    I have a console table from World Market (the Chloe $129.00) that is 11.6" deep that is in my narrow foyer. It works really well
  • 13 years ago
    A bit of inspiration for you:
    hallway · More Info

    Dining Room · More Info

    Urban Homestead · More Info

    The Olivers House · More Info

    Vintage Chic · More Info

    Hollywood Hills Home · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    I think I would think twice about putting a lamp in such a confined space - too easily knocked over.
  • 13 years ago
    @ carolins...thanks for the inspiration photos. The first picture is very similar to a console I found @ Room & Board. It's only 8" deep. I taped down the paper to experiment. I'll let you know how it goes. It's white paper so I'll be able to see any footprints :)
  • 13 years ago
    @ Keith...Thank you. I'd love to open up that wall, but it requires some "beefing up" of a header (whatever that means) & moving an air intake that's on the opposite side in the lr. I don't have any idea how much that costs, but I'm sure a runner & some art will be cheaper :) Maybe if we're still here in 10 years we'll open up the wall. That would be the best solution by far.
  • 13 years ago
    @ maryreebelle...thanks. I'll check that one out. But, I think I will definitely keep it to 10" or less. There aren't a ton of narrow consoles out there, but there are a few to choose from. @ olldroo...hadn't though of that regarding a lamp. Maybe a sconce or lights that hang above artwork like the 3rd picture above, or maybe just added another light fixture in the hall. Trying to keep it to things I can do myself though...don't want to have to wait ;) Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    What about a floating shelf underneath the mirror? It would give you a flat surface to place your keys or decorative items, but wouldn't take up as much room. It's the table legs taking up floor space which will make the space seem narrower...
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Why wait 10 years to have a better space? You would be amazed at what opening up that wall will do for your entry :-)
  • 13 years ago
    i think a small table would be fine, we didnt really have an "entry way" in our home it just brought you into the living room and we put a 18" console table on one side and a sofa on the other to kind of make it a designated entry way. the table is probably too thick but its not bad unless someones walking in with furniture or something - haha but i think if i had to do it again i would do something like this
    http://www.sadalewis.com/2012/02/entryway-project-board-batten-detailed-how-to.html.
  • 13 years ago
    @ Sharon Charboneau...I think the 14" deep would be too wide, & that one is way too modern for my space. I think I want something with straight lines & a little rustic. The console @ Room & Board has several tops to choose from, so you can take the modern edge off by choosing warm wood, plus the size is right. Thank you for looking.
  • 13 years ago
    @ Sophie & Diana Fonovic - great idea. Diana, I love the entryway @ the sadalewis.com blog. I love board and batten wainscotting & with the high shlef it looks great. I will definitely consider floating a shelf & maybe just put some baskets underneath to catch hats, mittens, flip flops, etc. (depending on weather). It would be a whole lot nicer to stub your toe on a basket than on a table leg :) @ Keith...in a word - "Money" ;) Thanks to everyone for suggestions...I'll post a picture when I'm done.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    sounds like you are focused now & know what you want. Good for you! If I can offer any further assistance, I am only an email away.....continue having fun.