Software
Houzz Logo Print
katiehardy20

Island microwaves

9 years ago
A do, or a don't?

Comments (15)

  • 9 years ago
    Love it. We put the MW in the island. Our island is 9 ft long, and it went in an end cabinet to keep it out of main prep space... much like the photo.
  • 9 years ago

    The layout in the photo is very similar to our last kitchen, right down to the sinks, oven placement and the microwave in the island. It was really useful. It was close enough to the primary cook but also out of the way enough for anyone who wasn't the cook! I loved it. We also had a 9ft island. If your island will be much shorter, make sure that anyone bending over to check whatever's in the microwave won't be backing into the over area.

  • 9 years ago
    Due to the purpose of the microwave....I vote for don't...

    microwave always easier to use closer to eye level...it is different than a regular oven that you just set time and temp ...and come back later when it is done....you need to watch it much closer ..to reset when needed ..to add minutes,...etc
  • 9 years ago
    This kitchen does feature one of my favorites...however...and that is as many drawers as possible in place of lower cabs...so much better than getting down on your knees to reach things in the deep recesses ....
  • 9 years ago
    I went through this and voted no. I do have a steam oven at that level and I wish now i didn't I like my ovens more at eye level.
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Love, love, love my under cabinet microwave. So much safer to use. I have a drawer type and it is wonderful. Just lift things up without any trouble. Must have for me.

  • 9 years ago
    Flo...always interested in your opinions...tho' we disagree I am wondering what you refer to when you suggest that it is much safer...to have the micro wave under the counter height...can see that your pull out would be better than regular door opening...But visualize reaching in with the hot surface so exposed when trying to remove hot containers...?.?
  • 9 years ago

    I'm in the "hate" them there group, maybe because I'm tall. A friend of mine has one in her house, I hate using it in that location. Just a personal preference, eye level for me.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Conventional microwaves with a door where you have to peer into the space don't work in islands. However, drawer microwaves are a game-changer and a must-have!

    Some of them even have displays that are done in such a way that they're angled to the viewer. So easy! Such a space-saver!


    Whole Home Remodel · More Info


    Kitchen and Powder Room Remodel · More Info

  • 9 years ago

    We have an undercounter at work and I hate it. You can't see the buttons, or the food.

  • 9 years ago

    I love the island microwaves. They add a new design sense to a room. They're very easy to operate and they're great conversational pieces as well.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    My husband and I are tall, so we hate these. If i'm not sure how long I want something to cook, I can't just look in to see what's happening. Besides, I'm a bit clumsy. I'm more likely to spill if its not covered and steam hits my hand.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    If you have a pantry, some are putting them in the pantry. Just make sure you can get the outlet in the right spot. This works especially if you don't use them frequently. I have a client who had this plan and then once we got the house under roof, we started checking the number of steps to get into the pantry and back into the kitchen area, and wound up doing a under-cabinet drawer type microwave. Hubby is 6'4" and was very reluctant. He works from home and uses it for heating up leftovers for lunch time. He loves it! So, that is just one couples experience and I have specified it in several homes and all love it.

  • 9 years ago
    Thank you so much for all of your responses everyone!!! So helpful!!!