0
martha_scott43

New Needlepoint Pillow

Martha Scott
September 14, 2017

It's not really cross stitch but I had to show my latest finished project and cross stitching is closer to what it is rather than "quilting"!

It's a piece from a company in England, Cleopatra's Needle.

I just picked it up today and I am so pleased with how it turned out.

• msmeow

It's really pretty, Martha! You did the needlepoint? Did you also make it into a pillow?

I haven't done any needlepoint in years. (I haven't done any cross stitch lately, either LOL.)

Donna

• Martha Scott

Yes. I started needlepointing when I first married (and I still have a few pieces from that time). DD came along and it got pushed to the back burner for a VERY LONG TIME. In 2011 we took our first transatlantic cruise and with 2 weeks at sea, I felt I had to do "something" besides bring a small ibrary of heavy books so I went to my favorite needlepoint shop (which was still in business after not going for 30 years) and bought a canvas. I finished it before we left for home so I bought another in england. I am being very disciplined and won't buy canvases just because I like them . .So I don't have a drawer of projects waiting for me. . I wait until I'm almost finished and then will get another. At around $100 per canvas (which includes yarn), they are expensive. But since it takes me several months to complete one, the cost per month or per hour for my hobby, isn't bad. I do block the canvases but I do not finish them. I prefer to have professionals finish them. All that work needs a professional finish IMO. I also do needlepoint Christmas ornaments for my two granddaughters every year. Those I do finish myself for they're smaller and easier. And I think $100 for a pillow is expensive -- Christmas ornaments are $50 to $60 each and then you have to buy the thread! (And I don't want to spend another $75 to $100 to finish them) My DD thinks it's sweet I make her daughters an ornament for Christmas. I don't think she would be too happy to know how much they really cost. So it's my little secret.

• irisgal_z9

Very handsome. The pastel blue looks just right as background. I never would have thought of that color!