Software
Houzz Logo Print
korey_rowntree

White or Dark kitchen!?

9 years ago
We are currently building our forever home and are having troubles deciding on a white painted kitchen or dark stained kitchen. I love the fresh look of the white kitchens but also love the warm homey feeling of the dark. Which do you prefer and why? Help!!

Comments (37)

  • 9 years ago

    Haha we are going through thus exact dilemma now. Been back and forth but leaning towards dark since we have small children & white would worry me. Also thinking about doing "some cabinets white and the majority dark....still haven't ordered our cabinets but will be as soon as our builder is ready so we can stop going back & forth...decisions are much harder when you cannot see the finished product ahead of time! Good luck.

    Korey Meadows thanked pandang81
  • 9 years ago
    I assume you are referring specifically to the two photos shown? If so, then for whatever it's worth, my preference would be the kitchen with the white cabinets. I feel like with that kitchen you sort of have the best of both worlds: the white on the cabinets, plus the coziness and warmth of wood from the floor. I would also consider stained wood cabinets for the island and perhaps a few wooden accessories scattered about (such as wooden cutting boards or a fruit bowl). White plus wood, for the best of both worlds? Good luck with your decision!
    Korey Meadows thanked loves to decorate
  • 9 years ago

    White. A kitchen is a workspace and as such needs bright, reflective colors to diffuse the light and soften shadows.

    Korey Meadows thanked tatts
  • 9 years ago

    Maybe mix it up:)


    I am seeing an increase in warm mid tone woods - either mixed with white as above or the entire kitchen. This is a possibility if you like wood, but don't want a dark kitchen:

    Houzz pic - 2016:

    Ortega French · More Info
    A newer design pic:
    2017 Parade Home:

    Korey Meadows thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago

    It is interesting that both of the sample pictures that you yourself posted are kind of half and half. Neither one is fully white or fully dark. The "white" kitchen has a deep dark island, and a very dark floor. Whereas the "dark" kitchen has completely light walls, ceiling, counters, back splashes, furniture, FLOOR, etc. Maybe what you really want is a combination of both light and dark, like the pictures you posted with your question?

    Korey Meadows thanked Lyone Fein
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It's really a personal thing of what you would like to live with. I like white myself.....I just love that crisp feeling!

    Korey Meadows thanked Annie Santulli Designs
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    I actually like light wood best, then white.

    But this is your forever home, keep looking up kitchens and one will call to you more then the other

    Korey Meadows thanked woodteam5
  • 9 years ago

    Whatever you do don't do a mix of white and wood! I think that is going to look as dated as the multi level uppers do now.

    I would go with white. Just for resale value. White has always been in. Dark cabinets come in, go out, come in, go out. I know you said "forever" home but...nothing is forever lol

    Korey Meadows thanked Melissa R
  • 9 years ago

    When you go into real people's kitchens (not pictures on houzz, not model homes, but real lived in kitchens), which kitchens do you like best?

    Korey Meadows thanked smit2380
  • 9 years ago

    Thank you for all your help!! Such a tough decision. My husband loves the walnut stained cabinets, with a light tile and light granite/back splash. I would be set on this if we didn't have to use tile - I liked the thoughts of the white Kitchen dark island to match the hardwood floors. I just think if we did the dark walnut kitchen we would have to stay away from the dark floors in the kitchen because it will be too much! I appreciate all your comments. They have really helped me out :)

  • 9 years ago
    Other than your personal preference I think how much natural light you will have is huge. I have 4 little kids and feel like the open kitchen and family room are the hub of our home. I chose white cabinets with white counters and a wood stained maple island. Of course with little kids stuff gets thrashed but that's life. I still would do it again 4 years later. Will try to attach photo.
    Korey Meadows thanked Sandy
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I think some of this depends on your style , for instance I love a white and walnut kitchen if you have a contemporary style in mind. An all white kitchen can go either very contemporary or very traditional. I think we need to know a little more before giving advice. A relly nice combo is an all white kitchen with a walnut counter on the island.

    Korey Meadows thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 9 years ago

    Many people here have regretted dark floors once they have them. They show every bit of dust and also show scratches more.

    I did see several kitchens with white uppers and dark stained lowers on the recent Parade of Homes. I like the look of that style very much. It seems to me that the lower cabinets are most likely to show wear and this would be less with stained.




    Mt. Prospect Kitchen · More Info

    Bright Ideas By Martinec · More Info

    Hoegger Lake House Kitchen · More Info

    Korey Meadows thanked jhmarie
  • 9 years ago

    Are people no longer putting tile (porcelain, ceramic etc) in kitchens? I only see wood flooring in almost every photo I find online ...I was going to do tile kitchen since that is customary where I am from but now thinking about bamboo...how does it withstand wear and tear in a kitchen?

  • 9 years ago

    I'm wondering the same thing pandang81! Also worried about wood floors in kitchen. Tile seems much more durable but wood looks so nice! Decisions, decisions!!

  • 9 years ago

    Korey, yes if it were looks alone, hands down wood floors I love hardwood or bamboo...but I am nervous about the length of life a wood product would have on kitchen floors. ??

  • 9 years ago

    What's funny is your husband and mine sound exactly the same with their picks! My husband wants dark stained cabinets, light countertops and light tile floors....we are trying to compromise since I like both options but I tend to lean towards lighter options...I don't think I want white, but a lighter wood color appeals to me!

  • 9 years ago

    Many people I know have tile in their kitchen. My sister has tile in her new build and my neighbor did tile in her remodel. A friend of mine who does professional baking is getting tile in her remodel. All of them also have stained cabinets. I have hardwood. Either is fine - and many are also doing the Luxury Vinyl Planks (or tile). I saw a lot of that on the mid to lower end new homes on the Parade Homes this year. I am not overly fond of it, probably because I have real hardwood, but I can see its appeal for the family with kids and larger pets as it is supposed to be really durable. My dogs don't hurt my wood floor, but they are smaller.

    Many of the pics show hardwood because it warms up a white kitchen, and so many kitchens are white or gray these days. White cabinets with tile can look cold unless some wood it brought in another way - butcher block island top or wood shelves. A picture of a kitchen that looks like a black and white photo may look artistic, but not so great to live in if you like color and warmth.

    True solid hardwood can be refinished several times - why some homes over a hundred years old still have their original floors. Tile can be hard to stand on and wood is softer. Tile will also last decades, though styles do change. Both are good choices for a kitchen.

  • 9 years ago

    Pandang81 it sounds like we are going through the exact same problem. lol. Isn't it so fun!

    Thank you jhmarie! That was very helpful.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    You can't go wrong with the white cabinets and achieving warmth is still possible! You can certainly get creative with an island and backsplashes if you are worried about your kitchen looking too sterile. I would also consider using wooden tiles for the flooring. They offer so many beautiful textures, patterns and finishes without the worry of scratching and warping. Easy to clean also. https://www.florim.com/en/casadolcecasa-casamood/collection/wooden-tile-of-cdc/

    Korey Meadows thanked SANOMA Kitchen & Bath
  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    i prefer bright kitchens. i'm only in the kitchen when i'm cooking, and i like to be able to see what i'm doing with my failing eyesight. ; )


  • 9 years ago

    I think a darker kitchen would be more fitting if you have a large family/pets, but a white kitchen is always in style and will be easier to change up when you are ready to change the style to fit more current trends.

  • 9 years ago

    I most definitely prefer the homey, warm feeling of a darker kitchen. Upkeep is a little easier as every crumb won't be as visible as it would in a white kitchen. The kitchen is such an important room in the house, as a lot of family time is spent there, so I would just go with whatever vibe fits your family's lifestyle.

  • 9 years ago

    If the room is small I would go for light colors and if it is large I would go for dark colors.

  • 9 years ago

    Dark & Warm. Lighting goes a long way along with a pop of a grays/white undertones. I think it will give you a little bit of both warm and bright vibes.

  • 9 years ago

    "Forever home" to me, dark stain does come across as warm and "homey"

    Plus, coming from someone with pets... white dirties easier than dark!

  • 9 years ago

    I think the white kitchens look better, but the darker warm kitchens don't show dirt as much so I think it depends on what you value more; aesthetics or upkeep/ease of cleaning! :)

  • 9 years ago

    I love the idea of a white kitchen. You want that space to be bright and open!

  • 9 years ago

    I think figuring out a way to encompass both of them in a way that suits everyone's taste would be the best. I like the idea of white walls and dark cabinetry.

  • 9 years ago

    Personally, I am a fan of light kitchens! I think they expand the space and give it an overall clean feeling. Especially great if you have windows! There's also nothing wrong with adding a pop of color, too. Maybe some reds, browns, and yellows to give you that warmth. Good luck with your new kitchen!

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    It really all comes down to personal preference. It is very important that you are comfortable with both the look, function, and flow of the kitchen in your home.


    That having been said, we have certainly been designing a lot of white kitchens lately. The kitchens range anywhere from traditional, modern, and transitional style kitchens.


    Here is an example of a traditional kitchen we designed that incorporates both white and dark cabinets, yet the kitchen has a clean, bright look and feel. The perimeter is lined with UltraCraft Crystal Lake Maple cabinets with a Melted Brie painted finish that is accented by a brushed granite counter top. The cabinets for the island are UltraCraft Crystal Lake Red Birch with a Porcini stained finish covered by a honed marble counter top. The homeowner loves to cook and was very involved in every detail included in the overall design. The white cabinets contrast beautifully with the home's refinished original wood floors.


    Historically Classy · More Info


    Historically Classy · More Info

    Historically Classy · More Info

    Historically Classy · More Info


    Here is an example of a white kitchen we designed that includes a transitional door style in rag and bone finish on maple with Caesarstone Quartz counter tops throughout. The bright and clean look is accented perfectly by the addition of the luxury vinyl flooring.


    Anything But Vanilla · More Info


    Anything But Vanilla · More Info

    Anything But Vanilla · More Info

    Anything But Vanilla · More Info

  • 9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Is your home going to be open concept? If so that will need to be a consideration as how your decisions work with each other.

    I've had 2 homes with medium stained wood floors in the kitchen. I would never do a dark wood floor as it would show everything. I have had 4 homes with tile. Since I spend a lot of time in the kitchen, I found the wood to be more forgiving on my body than tile. Also, with a light to medium stained floor, any dents/scratches in it will not be as noticeable as the dark. And wood is more forgiving when you drop something on it. And don't get me started on grout... best reason NOT to go with tile-lol..

    I've had painted and stained cabinets. I currently have a white kitchen and find that the cabinets show everything that end up on the front of them. Not so with my experience with stain. And really, I'm not that messy or so I thought until I had these white cabinets in my life!

    Even though this may be your forever home, more than likely 10 yrs or so down the road you'll find at least one or two things that you'll feel need to be changed so remember stained cabinets can always be painted...

    And if you go with wood stain, perhaps look at a medium stain as it will be more "timeless" than dark or light.

  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

    Flooring unity!!! That's why you see so!

    much hardwood! Also kinder to your back!

    Exception for tile made in tropical climes, but the fewer changes in flooring the more open and the LARGER a home will appear! Hardwood is the surface of choice in high end builds.

  • 9 years ago
    I like white kitchens. I used to have dark stained cabinets, and I did not like the darkness, but nothing chips would not show on them. Now I have painted white cabinets, and and they get paint chips easily.
    So my next kitchen will be stained white cabinets...
  • PRO
    9 years ago

    There are so many different ways you can design a kitchen. Natural lighting will come into play, along with having darker floors or lighter floors, and lighting is key. Below we have added some of our designs for you to see the variety of our clients requests. Take a look and see what you think:







  • PRO
    9 years ago
    I suggest assessing the amount of natural light your kitchen gets, including whether it gets morning or afternoon sun (or is north/south facing). Whether a white kitchen looks crisp and bright and a dark kitchen feels homey has a lot to do with how much natural light both get. Don’t forget that if you are planning on window treatments, that will reduce the amount of light your kitchen gets.