Software
Houzz Logo Print
puleocp

pocket door install advice please

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi We had a pocket door installed in our ensuite. There is a 1" gap at the top where you can see the hardware - the roller and track, and the light shines through when the door is closed. Its very noisy, and 'loose' it rattles back and forth - its not tight. oh and it will not lock..... Contractor said it is installed correctly. I would appreciate any advice so I know how to proceed with the contractor thank you RM


Comments (10)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    That's not right.

    Rose-Marie P thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • 8 years ago
    That is not installed correctly. The hanging hardware should be
  • 8 years ago
    Oops. As I was saying, the hanging hardware should be in the wall above the door. No light should come through.
    Rose-Marie P thanked nasmijati
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Like others said it wasn't installed right. The pocket door jamb kit should have covered everything.

    The install should be like this.


    Rose-Marie P thanked GN Builders L.L.C
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I've installed a pocket door and one pocket window. There should be no gaps but it may be a hardware difference to what most have seen. I know that normally this should be done prior to drywall, so if they've tried to do it without demo-ing the drywall and installing properly, that may be the problem.The top railing should be above the frame by a good half an inch so that nothing shows and there is no gap. The door frame at top must also be split in half so the rail can be installed UP between the halves (that's why it takes a demo on post-construction). It's not a hard thing to do, just very tedious.

    The best maker out there is Johnson, you can look them up on the web. All of their instructions call for installing prior to drywall or taking out drywall prior to install.

    Just saw GN Builder's drawing, look carefully at the upper right corner drawing.

    Rose-Marie P thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Hi I appreciate the information, pics and suggestions.

    The weird thing is, this door was installed prior to dry wall! When the door first arrived and the install started i noticed the contractor was building a 5 in header...He was going to install a short door?! 'That's the one they sent' I stopped that and we waited for the correct size door. Then another delay because the rollers were incorrect. This contractor has installed 'hundreds' of pocket doors. There were so many opportunities to get this right. Now addressing this with the reputable design/build company I'm getting attitude.

    Do I have them 'rip' out the door/drywall etc. like they are suggesting (the defensive attitude) or have trim fixed to each side of the door trim to cover the space and hardware? Like I said this high end/high price reno has gone months over expected time and i just want these guys out. ugh

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    Here's a pic of the pocket window I installed. There is no gap, in fact, the window frame extends past the trim.

    Perhaps a way to fix this is to move the trim down below the door edge somehow and fix the drywall up to it when it's moved down...?

    Rose-Marie P thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Do not let them leave it like that! I just went through a renovation nightmare and you know what when they mess up contractors seem to like to give a bit of attitude. Don't let that bother you. They will be gone soon and you are the one that needs to live with the door if they leave it wrong. You'll just angrier and angrier about it. They need to fix it now!

    Rose-Marie P thanked Meghann K
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Definitely not installed correctly and it sounds as if your contractor was trying to get around doing things correctly and professionally. I am sorry they are not giving you the proper service. It needs to be reinstalled in order to be done correctly.

    Rose-Marie P thanked Attaway Homes