Software
Houzz Logo Print
puleocp

pocket door help please

8 years ago


Hi We had a pocket door installed in our ensuite. There is a 1" gap at the top where you can see the hardware - the roller and track, and the light shines through when the door is closed. Its very noisy, and 'loose' it rattles back and forth - its not tight. oh and it will not lock..... Contractor said it is installed correctly. I would appreciate any advice so I know how to proceed with the contractor thank you RM




Comments (13)

  • 8 years ago

    i dont know how to fix it but its def not 'correct'. the door should be larger than the opening in width and height.

    Rose-Marie P thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 8 years ago

    it's too short and not wide enough for your door opening

    Rose-Marie P thanked Mirella Yeya
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Wrong.

    Rose-Marie P thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I have some light leakage at the side, but not at the top of my pocket door, and the hardware is not visible.

    Rose-Marie P thanked mdln
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    no. it's not supposed to be like that. I had to take a pic of mine so I can show you. I also sprayed the metal part black so it would be less noticeable.The metal part should not be visible. He did something wrong if you can see it. Show him this one.

    If he can't fix yours, you might try doing that.

    as for the rattle on the bottom, did he install the bottom guide to the floor? Cheaper pocket doors will make noise when they are slid back and forth. that's just the way it is. but the door should be held by a guide track at the bottom.

    when closed, is the door sitting flush against the door jamb ?? it looks like it's sitting in back of it.

    Rose-Marie P thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks so much for all the feedback. Yes it may be installed correctly but the installer cut the door too short and the look is incomplete I hope this highly reputable design/build firm can fix it.... without tearing it all apart. These guys have been in my house way too long!

    RM

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm wondering how they did that. The pocket door frame comes as a kit or pre-assembled ( my choice). A person would have to purposely cut up the unit to hang it wrong. It can only go together one way (I thought) then the trim is added. Other-word, they screwed up.

    Rose-Marie P thanked K.O.H. Construction Corporation
  • 8 years ago

    thank you KOH. that would make sense....when the install started I noticed the contractor built an apprx a 5inch header. He was going to install a pocket door frame that was 5 " shorter than all the other doors - it looked like a hobbit door - I could tell right away it was wrong. The pocket he door itself was 80". I immediately stopped the work. "Oh he said this is the one they sent" A new frame was reordered....or maybe it wasn't, maybe he adapted the short frame and did a crappy job of it.

    I love that this company keeps telling me "The contractor has installed hundreds of pocket doors" You would never know it.

    RM

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The door may be installed correctly but there are fine points that still need to be addressed: You can add a piece of trim to the top of the door just wide enough to cover the gap plus a bit. If fitted nicely and painted to match that will look fine. The lock may not be catching for two reasons: 1. if you don't have a guide installed on the bottom to direct the door when it travels and closes it maybe missing the strike plate by being too far to one side or the other of the strike plate. 2.Otherwise the locking side door edge may not be parallel to the door frame .The pocket door rollers should be attached on top by screws which will allow you to tilt the door so that the lock and strike plate can come into contact with one another. Last. Regardless of their reputation your contractor is not very good. This is not a difficult problem to diagnose and fix and any good contractor would never have told you that this is okay. I'd start looking for a new contractor to finish your job and fix the other issues these bozos are probably creating right now!

    Rose-Marie P thanked Garry V
  • 8 years ago

    How did you know?!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I believe the door is installed correctly it's just the wrong size. As for it being noisy, we have pocket doors all throughout my home and I would consider them all noisy, its nothing compared to opening and closing a normal door. They rattle a little when we slid them back in, but it's no biggie. There is no visible tracking or light shining through when they are close though.

    Rose-Marie P thanked Verona Home Design
  • 8 years ago

    How did I know? I’m a a master furnituremaker of 30 years. I’ve made most of things you can make with wood. Good craftsman always do certain things and they never do other things. They don’t make excuses for bad work. And if there’s a problem they will see it before you and already have a solution(s) in mind. Find someone with references and who is willing to take you to see some of their work. If they’ve done great work in the past they’ll have a few clients who will be happy to show you their projects. The better craftsmen may cost a bit more but in the long run they’ll be cheaper and better. Good luck!

    Rose-Marie P thanked Garry V
Sponsored
Whisler Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals