Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_head

Keep this rug ?

Joan Head
6 years ago

I went to Home Goods with the intention of buying a patterned gray rug and came home with this Karastan Persian rug. My plan was to get the gray rug, paint the walls Worldly Gray ( same as adjoining kitchen) and accessorize with brightly colored pillows, etc. (I have removed the cabinets that flanked the fireplace per some previous suggestions but still have to find a home for the cable box, in case you notice it sitting on the floor.).

So that’s the question,.......stick with this rug and work around it or go back to the original plan? Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments (130)

• User
    6 years ago

What about the sofas across from each other?

• Nora Lambert
    6 years ago
    I actually have the same chair that you have. I think the right shade of blue ( pulled from your rug), would look good. I love blue and orange together.
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Penny, my husband likes looking straight ahead to watch TV. Nora, I agree about the blue cushions. Did you get your seat and back cushions from Pier 1?

• User
    6 years ago

I figured he might...can you move the sofa so that it's central on the fireplace/rug?

Long point short, furniture placement will depend on coffee table shape.

I like the blue on the chairs as I said before, but I wouldn't do the backs, for obvious reasons....you want them to be a little airier since they're in front of the fireplace. So I like the lumbar pillows...

Now, as soon as I saw your room, my mind immediately did an "Out of Africa" thing and that's how I envisioned your room....a little animal print, a little bit of interesting knick knacks, big plant by the window....you know somewhat of a vaguely British Colonial thing (which is what made me comment in the first place because that's my very favorite style). Also why I don't think silk/shiny pillows will work for you.

Since you have 2 sofas the same size (correct?), you'll need a coffee table centered both ways and the only way to do this (IMHO) is to have a square coffee table....but you're the only one who can let us know if you can line your sofa up central to the fp...

Anyway...Is is Birmingham Craigslist? I'll keep my eye open. Also I'm thinking that white might not be the best color for your cabinets...

I know all this takes time...

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I can’t line up the sofa centrally and agree a square coffee table would be best. Maybe even an ottoman. Sofas are the same size. Yes, it’s B’ham. CL. We are thinking just alike. My original thought was to paint the bookcases SW Urban Bronze but I thought white would brighten things up. I feel like I have battled with this dark leather furniture ever since I got it. I have also been looking at brass planters to hold a big plant in front of the window. My husband does not like woven wood blinds but does like the idea of Roman shades.......maybe a linen look. Thanks so much for your help.

• User
    6 years ago

I think this rugs looks like it works well with the fireplace and furniture.

Joan Head thanked User
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about blue bookcases???

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like red but I think because my sofas have so much red in them, it could be too much. I have a large blue hutch in my kitchen and I love it. Was thinking along the same line of blue for bookcases.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

good idea, will ditch red. thought couch was brown not red.

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, fun. I guess I would call them mahogany as opposed to a chocolate brown.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Love your rug, worldly gray paint color, and that sunburst gold mirror:)

Paula Dean Coffee table

Pillow ideas

Joan Head thanked kjoy1
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for the mock up! I bought 2 pillows today and found another that I’m thinking about for the tan chair. I got about What do you think? I have the tray propped on the mantle because I’m thinking of painting the soon to be built ins blue.

Am I overdoing the blue? Maybe I need a print lumbar pillow in front of the blue ones that are tone on tone.

• User
    6 years ago

I like the zebra..

I think black for the built ins or maybe the same gray that you have on the walls..I love blue, but (and imho only) I think if you do the built ins blue, you run the risk of going country.

• Banjo Hughes
    6 years ago
    I’m not digging blue by the fireplace either.
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

i deleted the pillows from above. a lumbar that goes with blue, lets see now...

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fun, the first pillow fits the best but I’m wondering if it might be dark. Keep it on here for me to think about. I’m still loving the zebra print. It feels right.

i hear what you’re saying about the blue bookcases and the word “country” strikes fear in my heart. One of the colors from the SW Worldy Gray paint strip may be the way to go. I’m posting a couple of fabric swatches I got from Joann’s that seem to have potential for pillows or Roman shades. If you aren’t getting tired of this thread, let me know your thoughts.

• mick50
    6 years ago

Just following along. Great progress! Navy and brown are gorgeous together.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

How do you feel about adding lined woven wood shades instead of fabric to the windows to bring in some great texture? I think they would work better with the look you have going in the room. Could you please post a good close up of the rug with colors as accurate as possible? I'm thinking it's reading darker than it is.

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

My husband says he doesn’t like woven wood shades but I can talk him into it if I need to. I would hope to find some I could return if I don’t like them and so far hand found any that are 72” ......but haven’t researched extensively yet. Penny, i’m not familiar with Moroccan except as it’s used when talking about Moroccan tile rugs. Will research that, too. Here’s another pic of rug.

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

It’s showing as navy but it’s more of a peacock blue.

• User
    6 years ago

Have a look at this website....you want to mix things up so I wouldn't do all kilim

https://www.kilimpillowstore.com/

• User
    6 years ago

Consider plantation shutters, too.

• mick50
    6 years ago

Blue bookcases would be beautiful in your room and are not "country". You could also paint the back of white bookcases blue, like this:

Joan Head thanked mick50
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

The kilim lumbar that having fun showed would be great with the rug! What do you think of this one from Etsy?

Joan Head thanked katinparadise
  • PRO
    SJS Interiors
    6 years ago
    You obviously love the rug so I would keep it and work around it. I think everyone at some point has changed direction during renovations.
    Joan Head thanked SJS Interiors
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, I love the Kilim pillows! And Mick, I really do like the blue bookcases. My inspiration for blue came from the picture below.

I’m loving brass and blue together along with baskets, one zebra print pillow in the tan chair and possibly the woven woods. The bay window will be the last thing on my list. This week, the bookcases will be transformed to built ins. Will post pics when complete. I’m actually liking the thought of painting the exterior of the shelving gray and the backs bay. Great thought Mick. And thanks or the kilim pillows.

• User
    6 years ago

I agree...blue back would work and would tie in the rug without being too obvious.

I like the zebra ottoman if you do this...

• PRO
    Kathy Appel, ASID
    6 years ago

Things are progressing nicely!

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fun and Kat, can you send lumbar pillow links? Thanks!

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    With Persian rug and leather it’s best to add a bit of texture and velvet.
    Joan Head thanked KK1000
  • havingfun
    6 years ago

if you like i can give an assortment of velvets and i have some fuzzies if those are too much. it was right here on houzz

https://www.houzz.com/products/ethnic-pillow-cover-12x18-turkish-pillow-cover-in-blue-and-orange-prvw-vr~85249735

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Fun, it’s not available but thanks anyway. Oskuee, I love texture and velvet......anything Pottery Barn suits me fine. I’m not fond of a busy print. Since I like to make pillows, I welcome any suggestions for fabric that look like PB. Thanks!

• KK1000
    6 years ago

Unfortunately I can’t suggest any shop for fabric as I am in Sydney, but PB has big sale here maybe you can have a look at your local store and save your time looking for fabric.

Joan Head thanked KK1000
  • kjoy1
    6 years ago

Here is the fabric the pillows I posted earlier were done in...

BP10381.2 FERNS INDIGO/WHITE BY G P & J BAKER

Pattern #:21040-794

Pattern Name: KEDARA, MADDER

Book #2846 : John Robshaw Collection

Book #2839 - Mader, Coral: John Robshaw Collection

Both pillows can also be bought on etsy through pillowtimegirls...

Joan Head thanked kjoy1
  • User
    6 years ago

Do you mean the website I linked to above, Havingfun?

Yours seems to be a dead end.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

https://www.kilimpillowstore.com/

https://www.kilim.com/Types/Pillows

https://www.somkilimpillows.com/

i don't know why did not work. but i got a new one. all 3 are good ones, and the bottom is even cheaper.

i don't know, i don't keep them because they will be there and gone. they are difficult to make a grouping. the mixings are often quite jarring. I think i like pretty more.

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, fun, there are some beautiful pillows on these websites. This is my favorite but I don’t see it listed for sale.

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    Do you like industrial look coffee table , you can have any size you like and it’s timeless.
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, it’s actually my favorite style....right now. I found a tutorial this weekend on a DIY table with pipe legs. Love it! After the bookcases, the table will be next. Thanks for the suggestion and pics.

• Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Where did the second table come from?

• KK1000
    6 years ago
    I just googled industrial style, sorry, I just wanted to give you an idea I love to mix industrial with other styles.
    Joan Head thanked KK1000
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m not finished but thought I would postal pic of the updated bookcases. I have ordered brass library lights to attach to the top. I also have new pillows but won’t use them until the Christmas decorations are put away. So, for now, this is what I have to share with you. Thank you for all of the advice and encouragement.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago
    Joan...your room looks great:) Love the bookcases...is the back of them painted black or navy?
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, kjoy1. The bookcases are AS chalk painted on the outside with old white and the inside with Napoleon blue. I just love them.

• Susan
    6 years ago
    This has been a great discussion. Love the progress on the room and the way the new rug has inspired things. One vote here for woven wicker blinds plus side panels. :). Hope you come back in the new year as you do more with the room.
  • Joan Head
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks for the kind words. I love woven woods and have done a little searching on line but, as yet, have not found any that are 72” long. I’ll keep looking.

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

The bookcases look wonderful as do your holiday decorations! You may need to look for something custom but you may get lucky on Overstock finding something 72" long.

Joan Head thanked katinparadise
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Superb rug choice!!! Stick to solids for cushions, but the right Indian crewel fabric can be quite sympathetic. Coffee tables can be impediments to traffic. End tables are more convenient for setting things down. Don’t forget lamps for more flattering light and chasing away ceiling gloom. As the Brits have been oriental rug fans for centuries, have a look at the Farrow and Ball colours as you make your choice.