Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posatitude

Decorating bedroom wall with vaulted ceiling

posatitude
6 years ago

Just updated our bedroom. I would like to put a pop of color (perhaps something with orange) on the wall behind the bed because the room is a little more drab than I had pictured. Not sure what to put where. One large picture over the bed? Two smaller pictures to the sides? Wall shelves somewhere with orange do-dads? The vaulted ceiling is throwing me off.

Thank you!

Comments (33)

• posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sure! The lamp bases are blue. Are you saying to get new or paint the night stands royal blue? Should there be nothing on the wall, then? Thanks so much!

• p k
    6 years ago

I think that orange, while not my favorite color, would complement the blues nicely, especially if you incorporated something that had both colors, such as a rug, throw, pillows, painting, etc. As for the vaulted ceiling, don't let that intimidate you. I'm thinking something, such as a colorful painting, centered over the bed. How about something wide but not too tall?

One question: Is the recliner pinkish? If so, I would scrap the orange idea. Maybe it is brown & it just looks pinkish in the photo.

posatitude thanked p k
  • User
    6 years ago

I have always felt that a large off scale wall like that will never look good w/decor on it. Best solution? Do an entire wall treatment with wood, like a grid or geometric pattern. Texture over chachkis wins every day of the week. Think like a hotel.

I also believe the bedroom should never have too much color or things going on, as most of us want serene and relaxing to retreat to. Leave the colors to the first floor or kids rooms. Just my 2 cents.

posatitude thanked User
  • acm
    6 years ago

I would get whatever art you love and hang it over the bed. I'd hold off on the area to the right -- you might end up putting a dresser on that wall, or hanging a smaller pair of pictures over each other, or who knows what.

We have a similar sort of ceiling and asymmetry, and a centered piece of art looks great. Will see if I can dig up a photo when I get home.

posatitude thanked acm
  • Yayagal
    6 years ago

I'm with acm, get art and hang it over the bed centered.

posatitude thanked Yayagal
  • posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Such FANTASTIC feedback! I have also thought of a painting with some orange and royal blue. At other times, in looking at Houzz rooms, I have wondered if the missing piece is some texture on the wall behind the bed. It is just such a huge wall (25' long and between 8' and 15' high) that I think it would be hugely expensive to cover it. Any thoughts?

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Something like this would look good, it doesn't have to cover to the dimensions of the wall but to the footage of the bed. Take a look, there are many more on that site.painting

• User
    6 years ago

There are so many turorials and bloggers that have taken basic wood from home depot and made awesome patterns. Pinterest and DIY network will be a big help. I don't think you'd regret it and it would add value to home as it is considered millwork but more importantly, something fun and different that they typically do in models. You'd spend $100 on artwork you may not even love or $50 on wood. your choice.

• User
    6 years ago

Look up classy clutter on Instagram, they're amazing.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

I'd do larger nightstands (you have the room) in a white or a black to match the bed.

How about a large rug to go partly under the bed in your blue/orange?

this Kantha spread would also look good. loose the white one on the bed now

https://shop.jungalow.com/collections/bedding/products/mitchiko-vintage-kantha

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

I think you could paint the nightstands orange. Just be sure it is a GOOD orange - look for something like Hermes Orange (you'll find lots of pictures online). Then, get a large, colorful contemporary painting or print for above the bed - it should be wider rather than taller. It will look great!

• PRO
    Nicola Interiors
    6 years ago

Here are some ideas from a design project we did for a client. Notice how in both bedrooms, the accent wall is painted orange? We recommend for your room that you put a rug under your bed (get one large enough to go under your nightstands and entire bed) with blue and orange accents. Also if you want a piece of art, you can get one large piece (like the canvas you see on the wall in the first photo) and put it over your bed). Then you can add more blue and orange accents around your room.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Posatitude...what is the size of the Night Stands you have now?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

They just look so small and your lamps are pretty big...what kind of vibe are you wanting? Boho...mid century...organic?

what is the wall color? Would you consider doing a contrasting color behind the headboard in a bold stripe up the wall as wide as headboard?

• nosoccermom
    6 years ago

Could you move the bed over to the right, so the fan is centered over it?

• DH
    6 years ago

HIwE, are you thinking a stripe something like this? I also widened the bed side tables and made them black to coordinate with the bed frame.

• posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I have a few answers below:

The style of my house is more of a soft contemporary look. Also, while I do not want the place to be empty and cold looking, I am also not one for clutter. More minimalist, I suppose.

The only two things that I can't change. First is the wall colors, which, BTW are Benjamin Moore Waynesboro Taupe (1544) on the wall behind the bed, and Benjamin Moore Himalayan Trek (1542) on the other walls. We just painted. I will consider doing something on the wall behind the bed, though...some sort of texture. Wish I would have found this forum BEFORE I painted! The other thing is my head/footboard. I really think it is beautiful.

The bed is actually centered under the fan. It only looks off center because of the angle I had to take the picture at to fit the whole wall in.

The room is really TOO large. 25' x 17' with ceiling ranging from 8' to 13'. It is hard to fill it appropriately. It also has a stupid plant shelf. Ugh!

The night stands are 29" tall x 25" wide. They can be replaced, if needed

I got those large lamps because they were the blue I thought would be nice and I thought I needed larger because smaller lamps looked swallowed up in the room. The smaller lamps also did not give off enough light. The only other light in the room is the ceiling fan. I know ceiling fans are ugly, but it is necessary here because of the heat in the summer. I could change enblades to white if that helps. The lamps can be chalked up to a big mistake and replaced, if needed.

I will definitely be getting an area rug.

i plan on switching out the chair with a chocolate brown recliner I have since the chair currently in the room has pink undertones.

i give so much credit to you all. Decorating is SO much harder than it looks. I can find things I like, but putting it all together is so hard! Thank you!!!

• posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here are pictures of the other walls in the room

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

No images posatitude

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Here are some mid century modern chests that would work well in your space and keep it from going to dark.

I think your lamps will work very nice on these style and size chests.

• DH
    6 years ago

I like the second chest that HIWE posted because the handles relate to your iron bed frame. It's beautiful, I like it too. :-)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    6 years ago

There are also many types of 'wood paneling wallpaper' that would be faster and less expensive than wood planks, if you choose to go that route. Just a few here on Amazon, but you can find many more on the web.

https://www.amazon.com/slp/faux-wood-wallpaper/w22hkzhm5hfe7ka

• posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So sorry about the pictures. I tried posting 4 at a time. Maybe it was too much. I will try again with 2 and 2.

• posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Instead of art, how about a textile. This is from Urban Outfitters. It would be very simple to hang.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

IMO you have enough color in your bedroom.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Orange is just not working with the floors or the wall color...keep it simple if you like more mid century modern....add light colored chests...mid century style like I posted...keep blue lamps size will work well with large chests....add neutral more organic style rug.....remove existing chair and bring in the dark brown leather you mentioned...a large black and white piece of art over bed will look amazing with the color of the accent wall you have now...keep it simple add burst of color in pillows and a throw...cover bench in that rich royal blue that is draped over the bench.

furniture placement...

move dresser to large wall where the tall armoire is...put a large mirror over it with a large lamp.

put tall armoire where the dresser and tv was

add a low console next to the left of the door across from bed for TV...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Love these Turkish kilm Pillows...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Change out fan to very oversized fan....more decorative in style and make a statement with it!

posatitude thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Art...

posatitude thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • posatitude
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you so much, Home Interiors with Ease. Perfection! I love the black and white art idea with larger white nightstands and a larger, more modern fan. I will keep my accent pops of color limited to pillows and throws. Thank you for your feedback and for including examples for me.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

The set of 3 black and whites are from Etsy.com you buy them and print out yourself pretty much any size you want and frame them however you want...if you need any info just let me know..also keep us posted would love to see your finished space!