Software
Houzz Logo Print
jessr82

New Backsplash Opinions

8 years ago
So I just had this backsplash installed and I want opinions. I think it is an ok job. Grout job could've been better as it is low in spots and some spots are missing grout all together. I'm guessing she just wiped it too much. However my biggest issue is the corners and spots where I think caulk should be. Any help or thoughts appreciated. Pics attached

Comments (20)

  • 8 years ago
    Pics
  • 8 years ago

    Your photos didn't attach. You might want to try again.

  • 8 years ago
    they are in the comment section
  • 8 years ago

    Oh, after all this time on Houzz I've never looked in the comment section or photos.

  • 8 years ago

    Not in the comment section.... at least for me.

  • 8 years ago
    Yea I hit post before I attached them so I just put them there haha. First time posting so my bad
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    There are no photos.... :(

  • 8 years ago
    Ok I'll repost thanks
  • 8 years ago
    I have reposted with pics attached
  • 8 years ago

    There are numerous faux pas, but the big one is this wall:

    That gap is large....

    The color is too white as well that was used to, "caulk"? Being at the bottom where the backsplash and counter meet..... that a long with a few other situations.


    You hired a professional to do this?

  • 8 years ago
    she is starting her own business so she is still learning. yes that is caulk you see. she def needs to correct her cuts on corners and such. that is the worst of it. I paid her $500 to put the tile on.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    It's hard to see well but I agree, she should have taken more care with her work. There is a way she can go back and fill in/clean up her work more. If she can't it's because she doesn't know how to yet which is bad for you. Have you paid her in full? If she can't satisfy you it may be better to hire someone else who can try to fix the issue. Good luck with this, I hope it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    not the worst job I've seen. her edging and cuts could use work. I'm guessing she doesn't have the best Diamond Blade for glass? if she does, she needs to learn how how to properly set the tile on the saw when she cuts the ends. shouldn't be jagged.

    I also would not have gone w/a bright white caulk. they do have caulk that matches the grout. In this case I would have gone w/a light gray or an off white.

  • 8 years ago
    I didn't know that caulk came in other colors. it could use another application to be honest. Could I go over this with a colored one. Yes she is paid in full. I'm sure I would've paid well of what I did if it was a professional, but I was trying to help support a growing small business. I did think she had more experience, but I think this was her first time doing this type of tile work. Thank y'all for the feed back.
  • 8 years ago
    I am not sure what grout she bought, but I know it is a light grey color so I'm sure I could find something to match it. I will def remove what she did and reapply myself using painters tape to get a clean line. I've never removed caulk before so is there a special technic I need to use haha
  • 8 years ago

    nope. just a razor or utility knife. put down something so you don't scratch. get out as much as you can (or push it in!) in order for you to lay down a new, clean bead.

  • 8 years ago
    We are updating the interior with new flooring and a more open concept kitchen. The entire interior will be painted a neutral light color and we are adding a lot of canned lights. Bathrooms will be updated with very pretty vanities and we will remove popcorn ceiling. Also replacing the windows and raising the floor to remove the sunken living room. It’s a 1970s home which need some love as it’s never been updated, so hoping these improvements will be attractive to renters and prospective buyers should we sell down the line. Here’s a few before pics..
  • 8 years ago
    Finally got the caulk redone! Def looks so much better
  • 8 years ago

    Jules,,,why are you hijacking someone else's thread w/your prospective updates? doesn't even make sense on this particular post. Did you mean to post somewhere else?

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths