Software
Houzz Logo Print
rwclark78

Help Removing Goldilocks-Style Bedframe From Child's Bedroom

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hello. We are remodeling, and I am trying to remove an unusual "antique" or "old-fashioned" bed. To me, it looks scary and bad. It has a piece of wood carved to look like a womb with a cock's comb (or Yankee Doodle feather) on top of it. It looks scary and witchy, and it's rickety. I remember my grandmother got it from a local acquaintance for my younger sister. Do you know what it is? I can't figure out how to get it out of the room. I tried tilting it on its side and sliding it on blankets. Back end left, back end right, front end left, front end right. Would it need to be disassembled or sawed into pieces?

Comments (10)

  • 8 years ago

    It's not scary....ti's magical!! It's a lovely carved walnut head board and foot board.
    Take the side rails off and it will be easy to remove. But it's not junk...don't paint it or anyother way ruin it. Sell it if your taste doesn't like antiques.

  • 8 years ago

    Thank you. Can you recommend a method for removing the side rails?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, here's a close-up.

  • 8 years ago

    I would guess they are attached by metal clips or brackets that fit into the slots. Just lift up and then back and the rails should come free of the head and foot boards

    Ryan thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Ryan, just lift or pull up the side rails by holding it close to the head board and firmly pulling. Usually there is a slot on the head and foot boards, and the rails just fit into the slot. It should pull right out. From the picture, it looks like there is a pin that goes from the rail into the headboard. See if you can pull that out.

    Ryan thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • 8 years ago

    I found that there are metal pins or screws that connect the side rails to the headboard. By turning those pins to the left, you can unscrew them. I got one of them out, but the other three are stuck. Maybe a hex wrench or an adjustable wrench?

  • 8 years ago

    Or silicone spray if all else fails.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Found I could use an IKEA L-shaped hex wrench to unscrew the pins. Unfortunately, the headboard fell on my back while I was unscrewing them. But it did not break, and I didn't get hurt. Finally got the bed frame to come apart into four pieces.

  • 8 years ago

    It knew you had threatened it!! Glad you're both okay.

    I love your description of the curl. I'll have to tell my mother that it's a creepy womb--she has a large set of this stuff. I think it is an early 20th century French style. It's frilly and feminine and generally gorgeous. You should find an armoire to match (unless you have 8 ft. ceilings).

Sponsored
More Discussions