Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamperedpeeps6aneoh

successes and failures?

I've never had any heucheras, tiarellas, or heucherellas, but am considering trying some next year. Most of what I've read says that the majority of the modern/hybrid heucheras are a waste of money...or at the very minimum that it can take a lot of trial and error to find one or two that might make it past the first year or two or three. From what I gather, in warmer climates (zones 8 and 9), tiarellas, as well as villosa and americana heucheras do well, but not heucherellas. In colder climates, all I have so far is that the self-seeding heucheras stick around, and I'm guessing it's because the seeds/seedlings keep them going. Some have had success keeping heucheras in pots, and others with digging them up and laying them on their side during our Northern winters; I've also read that they need to be divided regularly. It appears that too much moisture in the winter is what kills them up here, but I didn't read anything about trying to cut them to ground and covering with a tarp to keep them dry, and therefore don't know if that might be a good option or not.

If you guys don't mind, could you please tell me what zone you're in, which of these plants you've had successes and which failures with (please state specific names), if you grew them in pots or in the ground, if you had them in full shade or in some sun, if you gave them any special treatment at any time of the year, and how long they've lasted in your yard? Any other tips, do's and don'ts, I'm all ears.

Comments (22)