Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phousa

Brick Exterior Update

phousa
6 years ago
Looking to make changes to balance the front. Considering painting the brick, replacing the windows or hanging a trellis over the garage.

Comments (15)

• atromper
    6 years ago
    Are those wood blinds in the front windows? The first thing I would do is replace those with curtains/blinds/shades the make your house look more inviting. Otherwise I think it's a nice house.
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

Since the brick and roof are so dark, I would darken the sided sections with paint. The boxes outlined in white look like attachments to the home, not integral parts of it. Try matching the charcoal in the shingles with paint, leaving the window trim the same clean white as your stair railings. Landscaping would go a long way here. A pergola above the garage doors might help fill the void above, but I think closing up all the little windows in the doors would be an improvement. As mentioned, unified window treatments in white make it look a lot better from the street.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Your house is charming! I agree with painting the siding a darker color. Do not paint the brick. Pretty white curtains are needed. If you prefer no curtains, then leave the Windows bare. Whatever is there now must go.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    Your house has a nice European feel to it, so I would not touch the brick but I do think changing the windows to be more in tune with the European styling would be perfect. I would select dark windows in either black or dark bronze coloring. Then I would paint all the siding, trim, and garage doors in the same darker color. Here are some inspirational photos for you to help you visualize the final look. Ignore the Tudor detail and look at trim and windows. The more dark coloring the better. Right now the light cream takes the eye to all the wrong features.
  • housegal200
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Please don't paint the brick. Instead, repaint the buttercream to a warm tan or charcoal brown including the garage..

Spend your budget on getting a deep garden bed designed across the entire front of the house to set it off with shrubs, small trees, and perennial plants. This will totally enhance your house more effectively than painting the brick.

• Sara Nolte
    6 years ago
    Similar situation with my home. We are replacing the white siding to a dark charcoal in the spring, and darker charcoal or bronze windows.
  • Joan Head
    6 years ago

Your house is beautiful! Paint the siding a darker color and you’re good to go.

• Sara Nolte
    6 years ago
    I too would paint the siding. We were going to paint ours however had to remove a lot of it when replacing the roof because of the extreme angles of the roof. We then found the siding wasn't in as good of shape as we thought, so bought new and will put it up in the spring. Also under the siding we found cedar shake, which unfortunately wasn't in great shape.

We've been in this house 7 years and being an old home there is constant updating needed. We've been tackling the bigger expenses first, then onto decorative. Your home is lovely. I love the attached garage tucked underneath. Wish we had that rather than detached. Very charming. I have toyed with painting our brick as well, but my husband is really against it, so I conceded there for 10 more outlets in the kitchen and a central vac.
  • functionthenlook
    6 years ago

I agree with everyone above to leave the brick as is and paint the siding. If your budget permits power wash the brick. I think you will be surprised how nice it will look.

• emmarene9
    6 years ago

I like the white windows since the brick is dark. They show nicely once the boxes are made darker. Oops, I missed the top window.

• charaj00
    6 years ago
    Please do not paint the brick. Focus on the color of the siding (it's too light) and match that color on the front door and garage doors. Paint the railing black. Next, work on upgrading the landscaping.
  • PRO
    K.O.H. Construction Corporation
    6 years ago

Have you considered German smear. Ic can be a light coat or heavy coat.

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    So many good comments, and I agree on many of them. "Yes" to keeping the original windows....unless they are deteriorating or you need better insulation in a cold climate. IF you change them, use the same style because they look beautiful and appropriate with your home.
    "Yes" to darkening the siding and keeping the windows white.
    "Yes" to the trellis/pergola over the garage door.
    "Yes" to a light power-washing of the exterior just to remove dust, dirt and bits of debris.
    Adding a bit more color to the landscape will make it nicer.
  • PRO
    Weil Friedman Architects
    6 years ago

Unifying the color of the house would be an improvement for sure. It's very strange the way the projecting bay is brick in front and siding on the side. It screams "I am brick veneer!". Unifying the color will diminish the scream to a whisper. I think it could go either way- all dark or all light. My personal preference would be all light- whitewashing the brick as in KOH's second image. I know that many Houzz contributors will object to this blasphemous suggestion!

I would also vote in favor of a trellis over the garage doors and changing the second floor window of the bay. The two skinny sidelights and picture window look strange. If it's in the budget to replace all the windows, get rid of all the picture windows and get double hung windows with two over two divided lights. Try to make all the windows roughly the same size.