Software
Houzz Logo Print
sophianina

Kitchen Dilemma

13 years ago
Building a new home. The design shows a door in the kitchen to an outdoor space. Should I keep the door, or eliminate it? If I eliminate the door, I lose the porch/deck area. My main concern is, does this door break up my kitchen? Will it be an eyesore?

Comments (14)

  • 13 years ago
    we really need to see more of the plan, but if this is your only access to the back deck I would flip the kitchen to the other side and put big sliders in at the breakfast room. If you are building new, take your time and really think about what you want -- access to the back would be high on my list.
  • 13 years ago
    I would keep the door and o a French door. Then decorate the deck as extension of the house. Also if no door where do you BBQ. I'm in CA so that might make difference.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I would keep the door. You will barely notice the door once you start living in the home. Plus it will be nice to have the short distance from the kitchen to the outside if entertaining outdoors or if you have kids playing & they need snacks/drinks.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That door to the outside is very nice. I would consider making it french doors so you can really open the space to the outdoors and create a larger kitchen on warm days/nights. The issue I would be concerned with is your refrigerator location. The long separation from the sink and it being blocked by the island is going to frustrate you when you are cooking.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    just an idea, and not able to see the entire plan so this might not work, move the pantry into the storage area of the garage, add a small hall between it and the kitchen, thus connecting the kitchen, deck , pantry and garage. This will make unloading groceries easy, and connect the garage to the deck which i assume is the back yard. You can also regain one corner of the kitchen and a bit of the pantry corner.
  • 13 years ago
    Keep it!
    I have a door to my side porch in the above listing of kitchen - dining renno and u barely notice it!
  • 13 years ago
    You need access to the back of your house... If you don't like the look of it in the kitchen, why don't you have a door put in the family room back wall and have the decking run from it to the back deck... it would walk you past the kitchen window.
    Also, a 10X10 deck is a SMALL deck... depending on what you're looking to do with it/ how big your family is, it may not be very functional. For example... if you're going to do a standard outdoor 6 person rectangle dining table, the table is roughly 6 feet long and then you're meant to have 24" of room for people to get into their chairs, sit, etc. so with the size of your deck your guests would be right up against the edge and no one could walk around them.

    If you took the deck and extended it out past the side of your house and the a 4-5 foot width wrapped around and past your kitchen window to the back of the house you'd get rid of your door in the kitchen as well as a deck that is actually useable! Good luck! SMK
  • 13 years ago
    I love what Susan said -- eliminate the door in the kitchen and enlarge the deck to come off the Family room. Great idea!
  • 13 years ago
    Not knowing the rest of the house, whether you have kids or entertain frequently, here are my thoughts as simply a wife and mother and experience living in many houses.
    As Eric mentioned, the shortest distance from car to kitchen for unloading groceries.
    For outdoor entertainment, BBQs, keep a door from kitchen to area outside as well as door from family room to same area so visitors do not need to parade through kitchen interfering with prep work.
    Short distance to bathroom from outside so not dragging dirt through house. Lastly, need for deck? Or will a nice patio work as well. Less maintenance.
  • 13 years ago
    I would keep the door and make it Dutch.
  • 13 years ago
    gotta love dutch doors!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi Sophianina, I would not be concerned about the door at all. There are many ways/design ideas to treat the door that will allow it to blend into the space/bring light in and also feel a part of the kitchen rather than an interruption in the design. I would definitely rethink that corner pantry though, they are not the best use of a corner space, lots of fabulous kitchen fitting solutions for corners these days so squaring off the cabinetry in the corner will be a worthwhile consideration too.
  • 12 years ago
    If you keep the door to the deck, I would swap the door and stove locations. As it is, the direct route to the door is past the sink. The traffic flow would be much better around the other side of the island, keeping the sink, dishwasher and stove out of the main path.