Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_fleetwood

First Time Growing Peppers (Aji Dulce): Questions

Kristin Fleetwood
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, all,

This is my first time doing container gardening, as well as my first time trying to grow peppers. I don't have a lot of gardening experience or anyone I can ask questions about it. So, here is what I've done so far and my concerns (which I hope some of you may be able to help):

******TL; DR Version: I'm a novice, I'm growing 4 Aji Dulce peppers from seed according to the usual instructions (sunlight, room temp, 8-10 weeks before last frost, etc.), I may or may not have added too much extra seed starter mix after planting seeds shallowly, am I doing anything wrong, and how long do Aji Dulce take to germinate without grow lights or heat mats?.*******

I am starting my Aji Dulce pepper seeds indoors about 8-10 weeks before the start of our typical frost free period here in the Sandhills of North Carolina, per seed packet and online instructions.

I planted 4 Aji Dulce pepper seeds on January 20th. I planted each in a really good organic seed starter mix that is supposed to have excellent germination success rates. I put each seed by itself in a small peat pot, so 4 peat pots total. I planted the seeds shallowly, but then added about a spoonful's layer of more mix on top a few days later. Don't ask me why, because it probably won't make sense. I just thought the seeds might need a little more soil on top than when I first planted them. I added water to the seed mix and made sure it was moist, but not soggy before planting the seeds. I did the same with the extra spoonful layer of seed starter.

Every day, I try to make sure the seeds are getting indirect sunlight from where they sit on a table near a large window. On warm, sunny days, I have the blinds up so they can get as much winter sunlight as possible (the window is sort of southwesterly facing). On cooler days, I have the blinds down, but open to let some light in through them. At night, I have the blinds totally drawn since our nights here have lately been in the 20s or 30s F.

I have our thermostat set to 70 degrees F, but I turn it off on really warm days (60s F outside) when I'm not so worried about a chill getting into our apartment. I am watering the seed starter mix whenever it feels dry. I try not to put in too much water, but I don't have a mister. If the seeds germinate and all goes well, I plan to pot them up into bigger pots until they can be moved outside to our balcony in the spring.

So that is everything I've been doing based on what I've read here and there about growing hot peppers, growing Aji Dulce peppers, and container gardening. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there anything else I should be doing? I know that grow lights and heating mats are supposed to really help peppers grow, but I can't get a hold of anything like that and I'd like to give growing peppers a go the old-fashioned way.

There is no germination time on the packet the seeds came in. Scouring the Internet has given me potential germination times of anywhere from 5-10 days to 4-6 weeks. Does anyone know how long Aji Dulce peppers usually take to germinate without grow lights and heat mats? I really don't know what to expect and I'm concerned that having added a little more seed starter mix after I planted the peppers might have an adverse effect, but I really don't know. Anyway, if anyone can give any advice about growing peppers, especially Aji Dulce, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Kristin

Comments (21)

• Brennan (New Mexico 7a)
    6 years ago

Most peppers will germinate in the 7-14 day window. Chinense types like the Dulce will generally be closer to the late end of the range and can sometimes take up to a month to germ in some cases. Everything you are doing sounds fine. I recommend a 5 gallon or larger pot.

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

i've been trying to germinate pepper seeds for a little more than a year, so my experience is limited. but when i tried germinating seeds in soil at room temperature, i had very little success. i had better success in coco coir (8/8 seeds = 100%) and the wet paper towel method (30% to 100% germination).

the wet paper towel method takes up very little space, even when many, many seeds are involved. each pellet of coco coir takes up quite a bit of volume, and i've found the germination to be faster with the WPT method, so the latter is my preferred approach.

WARMTH: pepper plants seem to germinate better in warmth, and there's a way to have it without buying a heating mat. i place the WPT in a plastic bag, place the bag on a ceramic plate, then place the plate on top of my DVR, which is always generating heat. it's warmer than the top of my fridge and more accessible, too.

LIGHT: none needed when germinating; the seeds pop perfectly fine in the dark.

SOIL: the nice part is i don't have to deal with soil containers, soil spills, or the volume soil occupies until i have successful germination.

OTHER LESSONS LEARNED: i started germination attempts last summer, because i was eager to get new plants going. the plants that got their start in september (i'm in zone 10, so i almost never experience frost) grew like gangbusters, but the plants that got a later start (in october and november) not only had slower growth, probably due to colder weather, but their leaves grew ratty the longer i kept them indoors, and some of them look fairly moribund now. even my stem cuttings, which looked so healthy at first, now look sickly. the youngest plants growing in winter were the most vulnerable to senescence; i think i learned the hard way why experts recommend getting seeds started 8-10 weeks before spring. the plants seem to know what season it is—it's as though they're one with nature or something.

the september starts that were moved outside early enough, they're doing reasonably well. (that might not be an option for you since you're in a colder climate.) and of the 20+ seeds that germinated, i can tell which one is the hardiest of 'em all, and that one's going to be the source of my seeds for future germination.

hope this helps. good luck, fleetwood!

• Kristin Fleetwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you both! Huge help! :-)

• erect and thornless
    6 years ago

you're welcome! hope you don't mind keeping us updated on your progress.

there's no single right way of doing things, so let us know what works for you.

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

I grew Aji Dulce 1 last year in SW Idaho, but I started it in a 6'x5'x3' unheated Strong Camel greenhouse (it's kind of like a tent for plants). Anyway, I don't recall the germination time, which probably means it was about average compared to other peppers. It was definitely one of the best-tasting peppers I've ever had, though. It was also the least hot seasoning pepper I've tried. It was one of the later ones to set fruit that actually did set fruit, and it was prolific, but all the fruits were green at the end of the season (still excellent taste). My greenhouse is just for starting seeds early before the transplant (then I transplant them outside).

Are you growing Aji Dulce 1, Aji Dulce 2, or something else?

I disagree with the link about the flavor of Aji Dulce 1 being mild (at least when green; maybe it turns mild when red). It was quite strong (and fruity). The heat was extremely mild, however.

• Kristin Fleetwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Great news, everyone! One of the 4 Aji Dulce pepper seeds I planted on January 20th appeared above the soil this morning (Feb. 9)! I am so excited! I have included a picture of the seedling. Hoping the others will also appear soon, but we'll see. I will keep you all updated on their progress! Shule, I'm not sure what type of Aji Dulce they are. They came from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange: http://www.southernexposure.com/aji-dulce-spice-pepper-02-g-p-33.html

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

Cool. Well, whatever it is, it's not Aji Dulce 1. It's got a pretty different shape and is later.

6 years ago

Shule

how can you tell the variety by the shape of the cotyledons? There are not even true leaves yet. I have had jalapeños take several weeks and had super hots germ in 5 days.

• kentishman
    6 years ago

I agree Brennan. I’ve been growing for several years, but there’s no way I could identify seedlings that small. And Kristin, have fun!

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

I wasn't identifying the plant from the seedling picture. I meant it has a pretty different fruit shape. See the Southern Exposure link that Kristin Fleetwood provided. That's where the seeds came from (and the site has a picture and description). It says it's 111 days; Aji Dulce 1 is earlier. (Granted, a pepper may be later in some areas than others, but the fruit shape is a good enough indicator here to show that they're different.)

6 years ago

Shule

never grown Aji Dulce so I can’t comment on pod shape but I see what you meant, I misunderstood you. Makes more sense now.

• kentishman
    6 years ago

Agreed. My misunderstanding.

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

It's all right. ;) Stuff happens.

• roper2008
    6 years ago

Congrats on your little seedling. I am also growing Aji Dulce this season.

• (Rosa) Lastenia Gregg
    6 years ago

Ají Dulce means Sweet Pepper in Spanish, so it's supposed to mild and sweet to flavor food. They can get spicy hot if cross pollinated with hot peppers. your seedling looks healthy, have lots of fun growing it.

• Mokinu
    6 years ago

I might add that, at least the green ones of Aji Dulce 1, are mild in heat, but strong in fruity flavor.

• Kristin Fleetwood
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just wanted to give everyone an update. Unfortunately, 3 of the 4 peppers died after cold exposure (long story and I've learned my lesson), but one of them is a tough little thing and is still going. I've replanted 4 new pepper seeds and one of them just germinated the other day, so I'm hoping to have better success with this batch of them, as well as the one survivor from the original batch.

One question I do have is: How do you know when it's time to transplant the pepper seedlings from the pot or seed tray they germinated in to a bigger pot to live in where they will produce peppers?

Happy growing, everyone!

• (Rosa) Lastenia Gregg
    6 years ago

You got some beautiful pepper plants and pods. Where are you located?

• nanelle_gw (usda 9/Sunset 14)
    6 years ago

Thank you! Northern California, with a Central Valley sort of climate.

• HU-243298424
    4 years ago

I have aan outside GARDEN BED IN OUTDOOR community garden and its in the Northeast. No readily availablle water other than when i physically bring water. I would like to grow aji dulce peppers, cilantro and culantro. Is this possible and how?

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting