Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amaryllisfred

Finally Something Bloomed

Fred Biasella
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Here is my first bloom of the season and it's my fault for starting them so late, but I'm not complaining :-)))

H. Sumatra

She started blooming late last week in my office at work.

Fred

Comments (59)

• lokai99
    6 years ago

I can say I purchased seeds with Tres Chic as a pod parent and as a pollen parent 0% germination. I also was gifted some seeds from someone on the forum and I can't remember which parent was Tres Chic... but they were also duds. I wish this works for you. It has such beautiful potential and it would prove a lot about Tres Chic. Best, best, best wishes for this!!!

Fred Biasella thanked lokai99
  • catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Fred, she is beautiful and I cross all my fingers for your pollination plans! Especially the crossing with the yungacense x mandonii sounds very very promising to me :-))

Good luck!!!

Anja

Fred Biasella thanked catsandhippies
  • dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 years ago

Hi Fed,

Tres Chic has not been a good pod parent for me either. I had some seeds and as Joey says, unfortunately, they were duds. Of course, it doesn't hurt to try but I think you'll have better luck with your Sumatra who does set seeds! Good Luck!!

Donna

Fred Biasella thanked dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
  • lokai99
    6 years ago

Oooh I hope it takes. Can I say I might even be more excited about the potential flower form if your Sumatra takes? An Exotic beauty is waiting for you in these crosses!

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So this lovely is blooming in my porch today that I purchased as Full House. But I dunno, It's looking very Tres Chic-ish to me. The only thing that looks a bit different is the white stripe on the lower left petal that goes out to the very edge. Whadda you guys think?

6 years ago

Hi Fred,

Yes, it looks very Tres Chic-ish to me too. As for the white stripe, I just checked my pictures and a few of the flowers have stripes that are longer than other so when the flower matures, it will be lovely! Tres Chic usually gives more than 4 flowers, how many on yours? Maybe you didn't need another Tres Chic?? ;-))

Donna

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

That's the funny part, the Tres Chic that I have at work has two short scapes with seven blooms on each, but the one I have at home has two slightly taller scapes and a few less blooms.

• JL (Zone 6B MA)
    6 years ago

hi Fred - its very lovely Tres Chic or not! Do I see your quartering experiment in the background in that pic? I was thinking about that this week and wondering how it was going.....did you get an offshoot from it?

Fred Biasella thanked JL (Zone 6B MA)
  • Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Joy,

Very good eyes :-))) yes it is, but no offshoots yet. I think it will produce some when the weather warms a bit and the days get longer. I will send an updated picture of it shortly.

• everado
    6 years ago

Very nice Tres Chic! I’m going to have to add that one to my short list for next year. Where did you find yours? Also, your window looks a lot like my balcony with so many plants. If only space wasn’t a concern for us!

Fred Biasella thanked everado
  • catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Your Tres Chic is so beautiful that I wouldn't mind having two of it, Fred! Wasn't there a discussion some years ago whether Tres Chic and Full House are the same or not?

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Anja,

I think you hit the nail right on the head :-))) I was curious and I checked emaryllis.com if that was the case and sure enough...it was. Now I have four of them taking up precious space. I have a feeling that some gifts are in order for my family and friends :-)))

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello All,

This is Napoli which I purchased from White Flower Farm late in 2017. I think the bloom is very pretty but I predict that next year it'll be even better.

This one was taken with flash and it looks more pink than it really is.

This one was taken in natural light and looks much closer to the actual color.

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

As beautiful as the city, Fred! :-)))

6 years ago

Fred this has great potential, just give it a few more days to open fully, the color

is lovely!!

• agapanthe64
    6 years ago

I didn't knew this one , it is lovely !

Fred Biasella thanked agapanthe64
  • JL (Zone 6B MA)
    6 years ago

And I saw this in person today :) Thanks for my clivias Fred!

Those blooms are gorgeous and all your bulbs are so healthy!

Fred Biasella thanked JL (Zone 6B MA)
  • lokai99
    6 years ago

I ordered a Napoli this year as well and I was expecting something more clearly red with a green throat. Yours is quite pretty. I like her wide segments!

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Well, it's a cloudy morning but at least I have these lovelies to brighten my day :-))))

Sweet Potato Pie

Neon

6 years ago

They are lovely, they would brighten up anyone's day!!!

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Very lovely indeed! It is funny that this variety has two completely different names! I'm sure that Seet Potato Pie is exactly the same like Terra Mystica.

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I think It's a marketing thing to boost the sales and to "fool" the public into thinking there's something new out there. People are so sneaky.

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Sweet Potato Pie is so sophisticated! Neon can light up a room! These are 2 great and very different beauties to feed your spirit.

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Love your SPP!! And Neon, well what's not to like! Beautiful colors.

Fred Biasella thanked jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Elena, she's beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!! It's still cold here too but with the longer days, I have buds popping up everywhere! (in the house of course)....

• Elena75
    6 years ago

Thank You Donna! Winter this year just does not want us to leave))) But soon women's day, and I want to congratulate all the ladies a small simple holiday bouquet.

Fred Biasella thanked Elena75
    6 years ago

Elena, what a lovely photograph soft, subtle and beautiful!! Perfect for any Mother's Day card!!!

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Thank you, Elena! And happy Womans day tomorrow of course :-)))!

Anja

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Despite a rather unnecessary snow storm that produced 5 inches of cement snow.....I was greeted by this beautiful bloom this morning.

This is H. Coral Beach from White Flower Farms

The picture doesn't really do it justice because there is a bit more yellow in the flower that makes it look much warmer than this.

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Oh, that's interesting, Fred! Your picture looks quite different from the ones on the fluwel website where I bought mine:https://www.fluwel.de/amaryllis/amaryllis-coral-beach.html Yours seems to have more pink? Now I can't wait till mine flowers... Beautiful!

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Anja,

I can't wait to see yours either :-))) We can compare colors and maybe mine will change her colors a bit in a few days so it will look more line the ones on the fluwel website.

6 years ago

Fred, that does look different than I expected but is still lovely!

We only got 2 inches of cement but as least we didn't lose our power again like the first time for 3 full days and nights!!!! But wait.... we may get another chance early next week!!

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I know I heard...yuckkkkkk!!!! I told everyone at work who was saying "Oh the winter is over" a few weeks back, don't curse us cuz we're we're gonna pay for it. Sure enough...we got slammed. Some folks never learn. I'm glad you didn't lose power though.

6 years ago

Hi again Fred, I just looked at the Google Images for Coral Beach and RC has a pictures that looks like yours only the color of yours is different, more like Tosca and WFF's pictures is totally different, what I'd expect a flower named Coral Beach to look like, and yours came from WFF...hmmmm

• Pavel
    6 years ago

Yes, I think, this is Tosca.

Fred Biasella thanked Pavel
  • Pavel
    6 years ago

My Tosca some years ago - 2 different coloring flowers from same bulb. :)

Fred Biasella thanked Pavel
  • Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You know??? The more I look at it the more I agree that it looks like Tosca. Oh well, maybe next year I'll try the real Coral Beach...if it's still available.

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yup...I just looked up Tosca on emaryllis.com and that's what I have.

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Lucky you! This is one of the most beautiful varieties in my opinion and I haven't seen it offered this season anymore. Please post another picture when she is fully open! It is not a strong grower for me but mine will flower this spring too. So we still can compare flowers :-)

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Fred, my Coral Beach from fluwel opened its first two blooms yesterday. It looks like yours more or less and not like the pictures on the website. But seeing it in person makes me think that it is not Tosca! Flower shape is different and the colors too. This one has some raspberry red and some orange red in it. Tosca has bigger flowers and looks more dramatic.

What do you think?

My Tosca has a bud but it will open too late to see them side by side.

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Anja,

Yours is quite beautiful, but it does bear a striking resemblance to my "Tosca" and now I'm more confused than ever. Yours even has the same ruffled bottom petal as mine.

• Elena75
    5 years ago

Hello everyone! I have an old hippeastrum, it's quite common in our country, but his name is lost. Perhaps someone will tell me, who is it can be.

Until a name is found we call it Creole

• catsandhippies
    5 years ago

Hi Elena,

I don't know its name but it is very beautiful! Does it have any fragrance?

• Elena75
    5 years ago

Hello, Anja! This hippeastrum is odorless, but it holds the leaves very well without support.

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Elena,

She really is quite beautiful and I love the feathering affect on her petals. I would be very happy to have this heirloom variety in my collection. There's something to be said for the older varieties, somehow they seem to be more robust and longer lasting (re-blooming) than some of the newer varieties.

• Elena75
    5 years ago

Hello, Fred! I agree that old varieties are more resistant to disease. If you tell me your address, I can send you a offset of this of hippeastrum.

• Fred Biasella
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Elena,

Oh my goodness, thank you :-))))) Message me and I will forward my address.

Very Warm Hugs,

Fred

• Elena75
    5 years ago

I write to you Fred! ;-)))

• Sheila
    5 years ago

The Sumatra is a stunning bloom! I came across this while randomly scrolling thru houzz.

Fred Biasella thanked Sheila
Sponsored
More Discussions