Software
Houzz Logo Print
nicholsworth55z6indianapolis

Too soon for a pot?..

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm storing ee bulbs in a box for the winter..they were planted in the ground last year..I was checking on them just now..most have dried stems (pic#2)..I didn't unwrap all of them but I saw one (pic#1) that looks as if it's growing..should I put it in a pot?..I'll look for posts about when to pot up ee bulbs too..

Comments (6)

  • 8 years ago

    You can bag them up each in a gallon bag with the sprout uncovered. When you see roots and the stalks getting taller, open up the bags. They will continue to grow. I usually have all my bags in a pan or bucket, that way I can water them in the bags. When the weather warms up I plant them in large containers or in beds. I’m in Georgia so growing season starts early. If you have space, you can start them now or wait till April. Don’t worry about that green growth. If it dries up and falls off, it will grow back. They are tough plants.

    Good luck,

    Brad


    nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked Brad
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks for your comment..I could manage to keep a few pots inside..the kitchen has a French door, 2 skylights and a window and I have plants there already..I think I'll hold off for the "dormant" ones..April sounds good..I have 3 months until it warms up enough to put plants out..

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I was outside most of the day..bad days coming..3 straight days of heavy rain..today was such a nice day it felt great to be out!..I appreciate the calendar suggestions..we want to keep our Aroids going as long as possible right?..yet I want them to be fresh and strong when they go out..so my concern was if I started TOO soon I could have weak leggy plants..March and April sound like a good timetable..

  • 8 years ago

    If you're able, put the plants out on warmer days in the breeze. Start for times less than an hr and increase to several hours. The additional light and more so, the breezes make them stronger and less leggy. This has worked for me with Caladiums and some other plants in past. But I've also left them out too long on windier days and hotter days. The wind has broken some leaves and the sunny heat has caused entire plants to droop for days. 2-3x per week on evenings and weekends could do...esp as it gets warmer. Use an alarm on busier days so you don't leave them out too long.

    nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis thanked jay
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    my neighbor does that!..she has pots on a rolling cart and rolls it in and out..the weatherman was wrong..we set a record today..it was sunny and 77!..I was outside for 7 hours..saw a crocus..I can't wait to REALLY be back outside..

    my notifications do NOT work for the Aroids forum..and I checked I'm not opted out..so I'm missing comments when they first show up..I'm checking the forum but always seeing them later..sorry..

Sponsored
AIS Renovations
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County, Ohio