bdvs144

Leds+south window?

bdvs144

So I'm an electrician and every once and a while I get some goofy idea and think I can reinvent the wheel. So I got some random led light 5000k that where used to light a freezer at a store that were going to get thrown away. Being the genous I am and not wanting to spend any money on grow lights for only a few tomato and pepper plants decided I would turn them into grow lights. I know that these lights arn't the most powerful of lights( no clue on actual lumen output) and I know that window light alone isn't enough...so what if I make a teepee with the lights layed over the plants touching the window |\ might this be enough light?

• illsstep

Impossible to say without more information about your lights. Do you at least have a wattage? I'd assume that as an electrician you should be able to get us a power draw from the wall if nothing else.

• bdvs144

Their ran by driver's pushing out 60vdc, each light pulls 300ma and their 5 foot fixtures. I have four of them pushed together and screwed to 2x4

• illsstep

They sound.. not very powerful. Since 5000k is at least white light, how about downloading a light meter app for your phone and measuring the brightness? Measure from as far away from the lights as you plan to have your plants. The result should give you an idea if those are powerful enough to be helpful - just be sure to note if the app is measuring in lux or foot candles.

• funkyhat

IT's difficult to tell without knowing the actual LED power output (they have current limiting resistors), so 60*.3*4 = 72watts (maximum!). Which is ... not very much.

• scorpio_bafh

Hi bdvs144,

When you don't want to spent money on grow lights you have to realize you are going to spent a lot of money on your electricity bill.

Just calculate with your lights and assume you get harvest after 100 days:

12 Hours of light x 72 watt x 100 days ~ 86KWh this times the cost of 1KWh for example $0,20 that gives 86 x 0.20 = $17.2, you can buy a lot of peper or tomatoes in the shop.

So when you will still want to do it do it for the fun not for going cheap.

Most people who use grow light do it for expensive plant for example orchids or for "medical" :-) plants