Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19707328

Bitty Seed

8 years ago

I had this idea (Hubs will tell you I'm famous for my wild-hair ideas) that I'm experimenting with.

When we get past 70, there's a lot about bending over in the garden for an extended amount of time that we have a little trouble managing. And down on knees that have been replaced is kind of hard to manage, too. So I've been kind of challenged with the problem of bitty seeds. Carrot, in particular. I have wasted a lot of time and garden space trying to grow carrots.

I've tried making my own seed tape, first with newspaper (hard to bury at just the right depth, hard to keep flat, and it tends to wick the moisture up and evaporate it pretty fast). Then I tried bathroom tissue (hard to work with if it gets wet before you're ready). Then I tried fast-food napkins (strips are too short). Plus I'm not sure that the Elmer's glue that I used to keep the seeds in place wasn't enough moisture to start the germination process prematurely. But I had high hopes for making seed tape for awhile.

So here's what I came up with:

First off, I decided to wet the "egg cups" down so I could push in those center humps. I don't want them sticking up in the garden and wicking away the moisture from the potting soil in the cups. After that the egg carton gets kind of limp, even after it's dried out again, so I had to put them on a cookie sheet for stability. Not sure if I need to make a little slit in the bottom of each egg cup to help baby carrots to punch through. These eggs cartons are nothing but paper-mache, actually, might be easy enough for roots to get through it without anything additional at all.

My thinking is, two bitty seed in each little cup. I can do that easy enough sitting in a chair in the house. If I have the room in the garden, I might do just one seed in each cup. I'd have some empty spaces, I'm sure, from seed that didn't germinate. But these are those Atomic carrots, mixed colors, and I'm not particularly fond of the white ones, rather have the orange and the purple and the red. And the seeds were expensive. I wouldn't have to thin, and therefore would eliminate the chance that I'd be thinning out the very colors I want.

So, after I have seeds in the cups, I can just carry these out to the garden, open up my row and bury them shallowly, end to end. Use the sprinkling can to water in. Cover with some bubble wrap to trap the heat on cold days. Might work....


Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Columbus' Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting