Software
Houzz Logo Print
ahiastate

Is uba tuba granite "dated"?

8 years ago

We are about to embark on home remodel. I found and fell in love with uba tuba granite early on. Am I crazy to choose this now- is it already dated? When we remodeled our kitchen 25 years ago, we put in Corian- we were late to the party and it seemed dated almost immediately, as everyone started to favor granite around that time. I don't want that same feeling again, but I do love the deep green of the uba tuba. (And in defense of corian- that stuff has been simply indestructible and looks like new 25 years later... ). I am well aware that quartz is where it's at right now- but it's also more expensive. Thoughts?

Comments (35)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    i hate the concept of 'dated' but that's not what you asked. yes, i believe uba tuba is dated.

    i know exactly what you mean... you've always been in love with something you couldnt afford back then, and you still are itching to do it. don't, unless you are really good with marching to a different drummer. you'll have that corian disappointment feeling all over again.

    back in the day i loved cherry cabinets... couldnt afford them. happily when i redid my kitchen 3 years ago i didnt put in cherry cabinets, i think they look off now.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Dated. Also harder on your eyes as you age. I disagree with ninigret about cherry, though. It's the warmest, most interesting wood for cabinets. I probably won't get cherry on my next remodel, though. Husband likes natural maple or paint and cherry is not his fave.


  • 8 years ago

    So funny, Im thinking of uba tuba with cherry cabinets. I guess I'm batting 1000 haha


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    What color cherry? Light or dark-stained?

  • 8 years ago

    Why are you remodeling? Lots of folks are choosing corian now; glacier white being one of the most popular I see mentioned here.

    ahiastate thanked sheloveslayouts
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    More like "medium", haha. Will look for photo.

  • 8 years ago

    Maybe make a trip to the granite store and look at what they have that is similar. Black soapstone is very popular right now. Maybe other dark stones will catch your eye.

    On the other hand, if you like it, go for it. It's beautiful.

  • 8 years ago

    benjesbride - I had no idea that my corian was making a comeback! This is not just a cosmetic remodel, walls are coming down and kitchen is moving from back of house to front.


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Brushed or Satin Uba Tuba is beautiful.

    ahiastate thanked Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
  • 8 years ago

    I would say any of the dark granites are dated at this point. As a Realtor my buyers generally comment negatively on dark stone counters even when stone was listed as a "must have item".

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    my thoughts-it's a stone, you know. was there before us, will be there after us. you either like it or not. it either makes sense in your kitchen with all the other elements or it doesn't.

    make sure you like it and consider how will work with other elements

    I'd repeat the same thing about almost anything.

    "Dated" really doesn't play role in my plans. "Updated" doesn't either.

    Should be your considered decision..make it yours, and make it considered.

  • 8 years ago

    Hmmm ... this is tricky for me. I think people get into some difficulties when they are heavily influenced by looks and styles without knowing what is informing their taste. If you love uba tuba and cherry cabinets, I am sure you can design a fabulous kitchen around those elements that will not look like it was lifted from an outdated remodel circa 2000. The stone and wood you choose are but two elements that play into the whole aesthetic. The door style and ornamentation, the appliances and soft finishes, these will all contribute to the look of your kitchen.

    However, if you like these elements because they were fashionable at one point and you always go back to them in your mind because you missed the boat the first time around, then you could be in trouble as you become more sensitive to what is fashionable right now.

    And to add to the fashionable dilemma, it is pretty clear that the fashions are changing. The white Shaker kitchen with white/gray/marble has had a very long run. People get bored and move on (I love white kitchens with marble. I always have, so I will not be swayed by the fashion. I would simply update other choices to ensure my kitchen did not look like an homage to the 2010's.)

    Look at shelter magazines, and Houzz images, paying close attention to wood cabinets and how they are presented and see what you think. Ask yourself over and over again what you specifically like and dislike about different kitchens and you will figure out what suits you best.

    Good luck and enjoy the process.

  • 8 years ago

    Uba Tuba is not anymore dated than Marble is. It's just a more common stone which is why it costs less. I've used it many times in my designs. The undertones are great with the right cabinets. If you use under cabinet lights you can bring those tones out even more and it works for a low price.

  • 8 years ago

    The first granite I ever saw in kitchens was this, exactly the stuff that people associate with skyscraper cladding and tombstones. (1970s modernist kitchens)

    The second I saw was Uba Tuba (1980s houses), with cherry cabinets. It was high end at that time because so few were doing granite.

    It has a sort of builder's quality around here, a number of diners around here have their tabletops and counters in Uba Tuba because it's inexpensive--yards and yards of uba tuba.

    That doesn't mean that you can't do a nice kitchen in cherry and uba tuba, but in some areas it probably has a certain amount of overexposure.

  • 8 years ago

    To be clear, this love I have for uba tuba is not something that started years ago that I've held onto- I only just discovered it when I started doing research for this remodel. I have always leaned toward warmer colors, earth tones, etc in my home. There is not one lick of white, gray or blue here, and there never will be, just because it's not what I prefer, even though I love it in other people's homes. We are designing this house for ourselves (plan to die here, as we say, hopefully not for a long time!), so "re-sale" considerations aren't important either. But I do value everyone's input, because it would make me a bit sad to design my new kitchen in a granite that everyone else thought was "meh"! Also open to other specific suggestions!

  • 8 years ago

    If you love Uba Tuba why not do a more contemporary thick block style edge to really bring it into the now.. I love the idea of brushed or satin or even honed. But most importantly, you need to decide if what you want is because it is cheaper or because you love it. Get what you love and your kitchen will be wonderful.


    An edge that looks neat with Uba Tuba

    Stratford Renovation · More Info



    Kitchen · More Info



    Modern Marvel · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Does this link work? Trying to show what I have in mind, kind of (in terms of color and style of cabinetry):

    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/ASFnkF5i4b3E3GQXKZILEoxo00PeK1fB84RJGHA8g1erEAAsjvlA0B4/

  • 8 years ago

    Definitely going with edge that is more modern- I think its called an "eased straight edge".


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    As Kristen Petro's kitchen shows, it's the way the materials are used that will determine a "dated" look. The kitchen she showcased is stunning--knotty pine, slate floors, the Uba Tuba granite--all look fresh and beautiful. Agree--do what you love, high quality materials and craftmanship never go out of stye.

  • 8 years ago

    The colors that are shown in Kristen Petro's kitchen are what I have in mind.


  • 8 years ago

    I love Uba Tuba. With lighter cabs it would be beautiful. I love the gold and green in it. Granite is here to stay. Quartz will go the way of Corian, Avonite...all of those. Fake is fake. Real is real. I had a crema marble vanity in my bathroom for 19 years. Beautiful but was trashed. Any thing etched it. Redid house last year...granite all the way. If you want to be timeless and different do Uba tuba on the cabinet perimeter and a fab wood or stainless island top.

    ahiastate thanked mamadada
  • 8 years ago

    Neat idea- I'm actually open to the idea of stainless on the island! We stayed at a B&B recently where the beautiful kitchen had stainless steel countertops in the work area and they were great! It was already our plan to do stainless appliances and sink, so this is something to think about.


  • 8 years ago

    If you love it, go with it! I’ve never been sorry going with what I love. I still have regrets for not buying a piece of art I saw ( & loved ) last year in Palm Springs ... it was sold when I inquired a few weeks later.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    The first thing you have to ask yourself is " who am I doing this for?" If you are planning on using the kitchen for the next 10 years then do what you like and the heck with what anyone else thinks. 10 years from now whatever you do today will seem dated anyway so why try and guess the future? If you are flipping the house or selling soon then that is a different deal all together then white or Carrera counters are the rage against gray cabs/walls/ floors being the "in" colors. That being said I have remodeled a lot of kitchens with Cherry cabs and ubba tubba, or absolute black and when I look at the pics today they still look rich and stunning. Ubba tuba may have been overused in years past but its a very beautiful and versatile stone.

    ahiastate thanked Inhouse Remodel
  • 8 years ago

    Definitely go with what you love. It’s your kitchen. As for being dated, they are still selling Ubba Tubba, so people must be liking it and buying it. Outdated styles eventually get retired. Here in Pennsylvania, cherry is still a solid choice for kitchen cabs and is a premium high end wood. I just remodeled a bath with dark cherry cabs and Cambria Bradshaw quartz, which is also becoming “dated” according to some. Our plumber said I should be an interior designer when he saw the finished product. I do not regret my choice nor will you if you love it! Good luck!

  • 8 years ago

    I have honed black granite in my new kitchen and love it. Love the pics of honed or leathered uba tuba.

    A Fisherman's Home Port, Brookhaven · More Info


    A Kitchen for Entertaining · More Info


    Tracey Stephens Interior Design Inc · More Info

    (this last one is my favorite with the giant window)

    Agree with all the comments above---yeah it's associated with remodels 20 years ago, but that doesn't mean it can't look updated, especially if you love it.

    ahiastate thanked caligirl5
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes, the very chic & current Chanel shoulder bag was introduced in 1955 ... I certainly wouldn’t consider it “dated” ... in fact, I would LOVE to have one from that era ! Ignore thoughts of what’s “dated”. If you love it it never goes out of style.

    ahiastate thanked K Laurence
  • 8 years ago

    caligirl5 those are great photos! You have all helped me...I agree, going with what I love...

  • 8 years ago

    I had it in my last home with cherry cabinets. It was so difficult to keep clean. Shows every smear etc.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    If honed or leathered, it probably won't show smears. The photos above are beautiful.

  • 8 years ago
    I had Uba Tuba with cherry cabinets in my last home - they were beautiful. I never had any issues keeping it streak free.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Go with what you love. You do you.

  • 6 years ago

    Uba Tuba is gorgeous when used with the right materials. Picture a white double stacked white perimeter kitchen with uba tuba granite on the perimeter with subway tile backsplash or Carrara marble backsplash. I would use a white light granite with a black cabinets for my island, possibly a dark gray, or even navy blue kitchen island with a countertop that looks like Carrara marble. Mix the materials will give your kitchen character and a timeless look.

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    That whole window-wall is UbaTuba with a lethered finish and chunky 3" edge! I LOVED it when we put it in in 2010 and love it today!