Software
Houzz Logo Print
janetjeffers

Ideas for high vaulted ceiling in bathroom

8 years ago
Hello! We’ve been planning on a big reno of our en suite bathroom, but I’m thinking of redoing our guest bath first, so we will have a nice bath to use while ours is undergoing construction. This will be a good test for us to evaluate the contractor too. :-)

Our bathrooms are challenging because of the sloped ceilings in this contemporary house (Acorn built circa 1990ish). The previous owners had this floral wallpaper all up the higher parts of the wall, and I’m wondering what to do with the walls when we redo this room. We’re keeping the same layout — tub with shower, toilet and vanity will all be about the same dimensions and placement (might add a second sink to help resale for a young family).

Any ideas for this huge wall? Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

  • 8 years ago
    I meant to add, I got an idea of installing some sort of dramatic, sculptural light from the ceiling. Possible good idea?
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    i'd vanilla-ize it only. if you have no plans to sell any time soon, and you wont be using this bath again once yours is done, any extra money spent will odds are make a bathroom that will be as out of date as this one *when you do plan to sell*. yes remove the paper. i'd just take off the doors if they are cruddy, and do a shower curtain, honestly. unless you have a lot of money to fritter away, twice.

    Janet Jeffers thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 8 years ago

    You could add some beams, etc, but I would simply paint it all one colour. The dramatic chandelier would be interesting.


    Homes by James Witt · More Info

    Master Bathroom · More Info

    Janet Jeffers thanked hatetoshop
  • 8 years ago

    We have a similar construction (cathedral ceilings, no skylight). We removed the wallpaper (ours was floor to ceiling wallpaper) and painted walls white.

    We did the same, remodeled the hall bath first and used that while the MBath was being remodeled. The hall bath we added a sink and kept the original 70s hanging lights (chrome globe) over the vanity. Our bath/shower in that one is perpendicular to the exterior wall, so I painted that wall as an accent (kids picked the color, its a screaming lavender). Figured that short wall wwould joe be easier to repaint than the higher walls.

    Janet Jeffers thanked H B
  • 8 years ago

    A dramatic modern Chandlier or a grouping of contemporary pendants would celebrate the style of your home. Perhaps a Sputnick?


    Janet Jeffers thanked saratogaswizzlestick
  • 8 years ago

    Lower the ceiling and extend the light well from the skylight.

    Janet Jeffers thanked User
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I agree with painting it all one single shade of white. Adding a dramatic light/chandelier of some sort is a neat idea, so if you plan to do that, keep the rest of the room simple so as to direct attention toward the lighting as a centerpiece. The added bonus is that it will keep the room low-maintenance, yet impressive for guests.

    Janet Jeffers thanked RugKnots | Area Rugs
  • 8 years ago

    OK, this is good. You all are confirming my instincts. Only tile the shower area (replacing that existing tile, as well as the floor tile). Paint everything else, including ceiling, a light soft neutral. Add interest in the form of a great hanging light fixture. I really don't want to get into lowering the ceiling because I do like how it shows the lines of the house. Thank you, all!

  • 7 years ago
    I know this was an old inquiry, but the bathroom project is completed and I thought I’d post pics. We are very happy with it! Thanks for the good advice — we kept it simple (paint and tile) and added a cool light fixture to bring light and interest up into the high space of the room.
  • 7 years ago

    Lovely choices!

    Janet Jeffers thanked Kathryn P