Software
Houzz Logo Print
pwheeling

What are the best Replacement Windows?

13 years ago
The house is 35 year old Colonial. The windows need to be replaced. Are there any ideas or suggestions on the best windows

Comments (7)

  • 13 years ago
    We replaced our windows and while I liked the Pella ones, our wallet did not, so we got Andersen. We're happy, but would not get full screens next time, only half screen.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We typically specify Integrity Windows and Doors by Marvin. The Integrity line is a builders grade line that is a bit more budget friendly than the standard Marvin line. The Integrity line is energy efficient and has received the 'Energy Star Most Efficient' rating. The windows have a coating and are argon filled.
  • 13 years ago
    We did Marvin, new construction, huge bill and had lots of trouble with the inside of the glass…not the inside you would wash, but the filling of the sandwich inside.

    Kipnis, what is argon filled? Our windows always look dirty, not like when the seal breaks, just dirty. It is not on the windows, but the slider and full view doors.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    judyg, I am sorry to hear about that. We have been specifying Marvin and Marvin Integrity windows for close to 20 years, and I have not heard about that situation before.

    Argon gas is a colorless gas that provides a better insulating air space between the glass panes. Krypton is another similar inert gas that is sometimes used. There is a coating on the interior face of the glass inside of the air space on most new windows called 'Low E'. It stands for Low Emmissivity. The coating is a molecular thick (one molecule.... very small!!) coating that 'heat' 'sees' as a mirror and reflects back either inward or outward. The same effect occurs with cooling. In other words, it keeps the heat or cold on the side it is supposed to be.

    The coating is put into the interior of glazing because it is very fragile. If you touch it it can be ruined. So I am not sure what is happening on the interior of your glazing, but I would contact your Marvin representative and your architect if you had one, or the installer of the windows, and see what it could be. It might be a defective 'Low E' coating, but I can't tell for sure based on what I read.

    I hope that can be resolved for you.
  • 13 years ago
    Kipnis, thanks for the info. Actually, doors and sliders have been replaced. No definitive explanation as yet, but defective low-e coating has been mentioned. It was difficult to show to a rep as the outside temp and lighting has to be just right, but when it is, the entire glass looks cloudy. I have had seals go on older windows, but this is not that sweaty look. More like polution.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I am not sure what that could be. I hope it can be resolved.