0

Dymondia Margaretae "Silver Carpet"

westes California SF Bay
last modified: March 24, 2018

I am interested in using Silver Carpet as a groundcover between pavers. I saw some at a house I was visiting and it had formed a dense carpet that you could step on, put heavy objects on, and it just bounced down and fluffed right back up. My questions:

* How densely should I make the initial planting of these? How many inches between plants?

* Will the plant spread through chicks or by seed?

* How many years for each doubling of plants?

I know it wants a fast-draining soil. Assuming I have a paver ditch in clay soil, that will have three inches of class 2 base rock for drainage at the bottom. Above the base rock, I will have three inches of a soil layer. I was thinking of placing between the pavers Turface hard-fired clay fines, which are a soil amendment used in Bonsai. But I am using the fines that are less than 1/16th of an inch because those will act more like a sand and stabilize the pavers (hopefully). The downside to using small particles that are less than 1/16th of an inch is that the soil will be very water retentive.

Maybe I should stick with larger Turface particles like the kind I filter out of Turface to use in succulent soil. That will not allow much of a perched water table but each particle absorbs a lot of water. The downside of using the larger Turface particles is that they will not pack tight, so the pavers would start to move around over time. I would appreciate advise on how to balance the requirement to the stabilize the pavers with the requirement to provide a fast draining soil.

Colwynn Design

I normally have Silver Carpet planted 12" apart.

When used between pavers, you will want a closer spacing initially. 4" pots can typically be split into 2 or 3 portions which can then be stuffed in the openings between pavers. If planted in spring they should have filled the voids by the end of the season. The drainage offered by the paver base and layer of soil should be more than adequate to keep the plant happy. No need for turface. Water only enough to get established....should be fully drought tolerant (little to no additional irrigation) after that.