Software
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Tricked out bathroom vanities--worth it?

8 years ago

What do you think of the bathroom vanities that have all the clever storage ideas? I've been eyeing ones with the "spice drawer" or pantry pullouts (not just for kitchens anymore!) and the clever things under the sink, either the low pull out drawer or the u-shaped drawer (the u-shaped seems cool but maybe it's not so fab in daily use). How are we feeling about big medicines cabinets with storage and the over-the-toilet storage cabinets--too 1980s?

I'm considering a gut Reno of my master bath. The house is a 1940s bungalow and there is never enough storage. Thanks!

Comments (22)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Their worth depends on your space. The more attachments etc inside the less open space. On the other hand you can organize yourself better. I like the spice pull outs and the u shaped drawers myself. If it will help your space be more organized and make your life better then they are well worth it. I mean after all we update our spaces to make our life easier and better right?? Good luck!

    girl_wonder thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Filipe! I wasn't sure which of these organization things are actually helpful. For example, in the kitchen I've seen those pull out drawers that some companies are putting in the corner. Seems cool, but in practice they waste a lot of space. I had posted a Q here (hijacking another thread. Oops) and everyone said those were not worth it, in terms of space, though one designer said if I had an abundance of cabinet space they may be ok. Yes, it's all about making our life easier and better. Thanks again!

  • 8 years ago

    Does anyone else have thoughts? Thanks!

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I am doing an above-the-counter storage tower to the side of my vanity to keep things I use every day. Under the counter, I am going to just do three drawers down the middle and lower cabinets under each of the double sinks, without any organizers (I will probably buy some clear organizers for the top drawer, like THESE I found on Amazon.) I agree with the previous post that the bells and whistles inside lower cabinets do take up space. It's a personal choice, I guess. Good luck with your project!

    girl_wonder thanked tackykat
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks tackykat. FWIW, I will have a 4' long vanity with a single sink, so I was thinking of a pull out "spice" rack on at least one side, and then the u-shape drawers under the sink, if they make sense. I don't have room for a tower (and don't want to give up counter space, if I don't have to). Thanks for that link. There is so much organizational stuff out there, I feel like I need to get more organized just to sort through all the options, lol.

  • 8 years ago

    We use 6 plastic containers under each sink. They work like buckets to keep things from ending up in a big pile. In the drawers, we use smaller containers. We just measured carefully and chose containers that would fill the entire space. If you don't want to get hemmed into a certain arrangement of things, the container method can give you some flexibility. On the other hand we are not utilizing the upper portion of each cabinet, so a U-shaped drawer or other clever built-in system would help to utilize the whole space.

    I got our containers at JoAnne's when they had a good sale and I have a coupon so it was not expensive.


    girl_wonder thanked AJCN
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Yes, I use drawers in my vanity. The drawers have more useable storage than the cabinets I had in my last house. I also love my drawer inserts for spices, knives, flatware, baking and utensils. It makes my drawers more organized.
    girl_wonder thanked Drawer Essentials
  • PRO
    8 years ago


    We have so many people that prefer drawers- So we custom make them to fit around the sink.


    girl_wonder thanked Pacific Coast Cabinetry
  • 8 years ago

    I’ve never seen a u shaped sink b4. I could use that!

  • 8 years ago

    i agree with pacific builders on the drawers in the sink cabinet. i love mine, it stores everything in my small master bath, even mouthwash bottles.

  • 8 years ago
    I carefully planned my custom vanity to accommodate my supplies and products, but the added feature that I most appreciate is the in-drawer electrical outlets that allow me keep the counter tidy and access my hair dryer, etc.
    girl_wonder thanked Ruth Ann Widner
  • 8 years ago
    We included a 12” pull out in the master vanity. It’s in the center between the two sinks. I LOVE it! So useful for tall every day items like mouthwash and shaving cream. We don’t have medicine cabinets so this has been really useful. I also keep a thing of Clorox wipes in there for quick wipe downs. The rest of the vanity is simple. Cabinets under the sinks and small banks of drawers on either end.
    girl_wonder thanked Kim Q
  • 8 years ago

    Kimberly Ellen, can I ask what your countertop is? I love it and your black vanity!

  • 8 years ago

    I highly recommend pull outs for under the sink. I wound up putting in a pull out and should have had it customized when I ordered my vanity. I also got two sliding drawers.

    girl_wonder thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Mongo CT is right on. Choose what works for you. In general, I think the U sink drawer does not create much usable space, but someone else may have something they could store in that exact space that would make it work for them.


    girl_wonder thanked tackykat
  • 8 years ago

    I have a corner base cabinet unit in my kitchen which I consider a gimmick and wasted money. In the bathroom, I'll want drawers rather than cabinets because I find things are easier to access. I also like large (not too deep) medicine cabinets because it's nice not to have to bend down to get things. I really like to SEE everything. Bottles hidden behind others annoys me.

    Mongo is right: it's important to think about how you access and use your things.

    Not crazy about customizing space too much for tools like hair dryers and electric irons because if you replace these implements years later, they might not fit the custom space.

    Another thing I'm striving for in my bathroom storage: minimalism. Doing my best to keep personal care products to a minimum.

    girl_wonder thanked tartanmeup
  • 8 years ago
    Tackycat - the cabinets are IKEA and the counters are a basic white quartz. I don’t remember the brand but probably ceasarstone? It was a prefab piece so I didn’t have to purchase the whole slab. Glad you like it!
    girl_wonder thanked Kim Q
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I suggest you go into your own bathroom and make a list of exactly what you need to store ... and then consider what needs prime storage near the sink /what can be stored elsewhere.

    Your list might look something like this:

    - One drawer for make-up and hair brushes -- must be next to the sink.

    - One drawer for shaving stuff and first aid items -- must be next to the sink.

    - Towels -- want an open shelf under the vanity for these.

    - A small basket for washcloths -- could go into the linen closet.

    - Hair dryer -- rarely used -- definitely store in the linen closet.

    - Extra sheets -- move to the bedroom /chest at foot of bed.

    - Extra toilet paper -- ???

    Go through EVERYTHING you're going to need to store: Travel toiletry bags, ladies' sanitary items ... will you store beach towels and medicines in the bathroom, or elsewhere in the house? Go through it all. Once you've decided exactly what you need to store, THEN decide what specialty drawers you need.

    Personally, I think the best option is nice drawers one each side of the sink ... but lots of vanities have itty-bitty drawers ... reject tiny 8" wide drawers ... ideally, drawers should be wide and shallow for bathroom stuff. OR drawer-inside-a-drawer for make-up type things. This one's meant for a kitchen, but I could imagine it with make-up on the top shelf /hair items on the lower half:

    I'm not so into the U-shaped drawer. Being a specialty item, it's going to cost more than a standard drawer, yet it doesn't give all that much storage. Of course, I've never had one, so I could be wrong.

    What I have had and absolutely LOVE is a tall pantry cabinet in a bathroom. I think mine was 15-18" wide -- it was in a former house, so I can't measure it. It held SO MUCH and was just wide enough for one towel stack. Today I have a 2' wide linen closet, and that's cheaper than cabinetry -- and holds SO MUCH. I love that I have a hamper on the lower half /towels and toiletries on the upper shelves. I think one of these two things is an absolute necessity -- I'd even give up a separate shower to have this good storage.

    As for medicine cabinets, I have little love for them.

    girl_wonder thanked Mrs Pete
  • 8 years ago

    Mrs Pete's method is good. That is what I did for my kitchen (though more in my head than on paper) and I am 100 percent happy with my storage amount and locations.

    girl_wonder thanked tackykat
  • 8 years ago

    My bottom drawers are deep enough to hold TP, 2high. Love that. Measure depths of what you need. I have some side pull outs in my door area of my vanity. There may be some wasted space, but not totally. I like the 2 pullouts for hair products. the lower flat pullout is where I put my cleaning supplies. There is the interference of the drain p trap, but I work around it. I have an electrical outlet in the vanity. I have LED lighting the is automatically turned on when the door is open.



    girl_wonder thanked enduring
  • 8 years ago

    Kimberly Ellen - did you cut down the depth of the IKEA cabinets? Your sinks look in very nice proportion. If you did not cut down the depth, can you tell me the sink size? Sorry to interrupt this thread!