hominamad

What fertilizer for sour cherry tree?

hominamad

Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer for a sour cherry tree? This will be the third spring since I planted it. Thanks.

Does it need any fertilizer? Have you had your soil tested to determine any nutrient deficiencies?

Fertilizer is only applied if a need exists for it to be applied. It is never a routine garden maintenance issue.

• hominamad

Thanks I just assumed it should be fertilized regularly. Most places I read said to fertilize once a year after 3 years. Is that not necessary?

It is necessary ONLY if a soil test determines it to be so or if your tree is not growing/flowering/producing properly.

Any plants established in the landscape should be getting all the nutrients they need from the soil and the environment. It also helps if all trees and planting areas are kept properly mulched....organic mulches will add to soil fertility as they break down.

"Regular" fertilization is typically a recommendation from the fertilizer manufacturers to sell more product........not because it is necessary :-)

The only plants I have ever fertilized in more than 40 years of gardening, both professionally and personally, are those grown in a container. But then I do have a rich, fertile soil (which I worked hard to achieve) and mulch routinely.