Software
Houzz Logo Print
sangeetha_iyer89

Please help. Will this entry door be too heavy? Photo attached

8 years ago

http://www.doornmore.com/contemporary-double-door-horizental-heavy-iron-inserts-35.html


It has iron inserts and says it is heavy. In what ways will that matter, both with respect to my ease of use as well as in terms of installation? What should I know? TIA for any help with this.

We need a 64x96 double door for our entry (two 32" doors) and I don't seem to have many choices. And DH is not in favor of glass lites due to security reasons. That narrows my pool even further.




Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    Doors are very contemporary is that the style of your home?

  • 8 years ago
    Yes it is. But haven’t seen iron inserts much in person. So want to get some thoughts on it. We want to avoid glasslites but want some visual variation in our 8ft double doors. This caught my eye. Any suggestion, thoughts? It will be a contemporary home.
  • 8 years ago

    Have you addressed your questions to the manufacturer? I would think they would be able to give you better information regarding weight, hardware requirements, etc.

  • 8 years ago
    Yes I did talk to them. It’s a heavier door but don’t think it’s very off or unusual in that sense in terms of hardware or structural requirements.
  • 8 years ago

    In that case I don't see it mattering much in terms of ease of use or installation. I would suggest to your husband that there should be some type of window somewhere near the door. If he's concerned enough about security to not want glass inserts I'm guessing it would be a good idea to see who is on the other side of the door before you open it! A peephole would do.

    I like the doors, they are pretty cool!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I know the concern about glass and security, but thought I would show you these interesting options anyway.


  • 8 years ago

    "It’s a heavier door..."

    How heavy? 50 pounds? 800 pounds? You talked with the manufacturer, why not tell us how much it weighs? We have no idea what "heavier" means to you.

  • 8 years ago

    I recently put an Iron double door in my home. I love it! You absolutely need an installer that has worked with doors of this weight. The company I purchased from had us provide our hardware choice in advance so everything was predrilled. If you don't or cant do a peephole just get yourself one of those ring camera doorbells and you can see whose there from anywhere on your phone or iPad. I don't know what direction your entrance faces but I will warn you that the metal can get hot. It has not proven to be a problem for us though.

  • 8 years ago

    ok...so my door is here...I am not wowed by it. But it suits our purpose I guess. Would like some recommendations on door hardware to go with it. Would like long pulls to dress it up a bit, but not sure if that will look good. What size pulls if so? I was rhinking 36". These are 8ft doors. Should i go longer and do 48"instead? i was also unsure about what hardware to get for the locks that won't interfere with the long pulls. Any help appreciated.

    From the inside:



  • 8 years ago

    There are already holes drilled for the door knob/deadbolt.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you. Yeah, it just feels assymetrical to me since the lites are to the side and there is more gap on one door compared to other. So wondering if there are ways to minimize that and even the spread by getting the longer pulls too....purely from aesthetic perspective.
    Thank you in advance for any recommendations or suggestions.